Uptown Arts Bar to open in Betsy Ross Building

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Uptown Arts Bar to open in Betsy Ross Building

Post by KCMax »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Uptown Arts Bar to open in Betsy Ross Building

Post by FangKC »

That block is such a mix of architectural styles. :D
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I love the connection to 'Uptown', working to create a whole new district between Midtown and Downtown. It gives the neighborhood a whole new identity.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Except it makes no sense. Geographically speaking.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

chingon wrote:Except it makes no sense. Geographically speaking.
And 'midtown' does?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I just meant midtown is -- by definition -- supposed to be between downtown and uptown.

But yes, I think midtown as its used in KC does make sense.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Is curious how KC has the Uptown hood (around Uptown Theatre) that is surrounded by Midtown. But in the early days, Xroads used to be called Midtown - have seen it on old maps. Does the City have an official boundary for modern Midtown as they do for 'greater Downtown'? I tend to think 'greater Midtown' is 31st to Westport (including Westport) and Troost to State Line.

Not crazy about the 'arts' bar name, is literal, but looking forward to checking it out.
Last edited by earthling on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

chingon wrote:I just meant midtown is -- by definition -- supposed to be But yes, I think midtown as its used in KC does make sense.
So, if 'downtown' is downtown; and 'midtown' is midtown; then where is 'uptown' supposed to be? Waldo?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Earthling is right. What is now midtown used to be considered uptown and the Crossroads was midtown. I have never heard anyone in the modern era refer to anything in KC as "uptown", and I hope they don't start. Though, if they were going to, I'd think the Plaza would be our "uptown".

Not that it makes any kind of difference. I have never cottoned to official neighborhood designations. Kind of defeats the idea in my opinion, but to each his own. Neighborhood names should be organic and malleable, they should change with time by public consensus.

The city-designated, atomistic and often meaningless official neighborhood scheme is one of the things I have always thought was lame about St Louis. Not that the city doesn't have great neighborhoods, just that the official version doesn't synch with the reality of St Louis in its current state (and likely never did). It is more or less a kind of sad piece of failed marketing which is only one step removed from referring how developers name subdivisions or how suburbanites call them "neighborhoods". I feel the same way about downtown definitions (ours included).

I do, however, still think it would be weird -- and not in a quirky, cool way (more like an unnecessarily confusing, stupid way) -- if our uptown somehow morphed into a neighborhood between downtown and midtown.
Last edited by chingon on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Personally, I hate the term 'midtown'. It has such a wishy-washy, no man's land, almost but not quite reference. 'Uptown' sounds so much more positive. Perhaps we should just, in the spirit of reverse sprawl, change midtown back to uptown.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the term midtown either, but I think uptown has the same inherent flaws: generic, wishy-washy, etc. Ditto "Downtown", for that matter, though that one seems ubiquitous and unavoidable.

That's why I like that our uptown is called "the Plaza", and why I hope that stretch of what I would call Valentine -- or yes, midtown -- doesn't get start getting called uptown just because the "Uptown Theater" is there.

Regardless, I wish the bar luck. I do love that stretch of midtown, though my Kenny's/Lava Room/Blarney Stone golden triangle is a thing of the past, now.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

But, it'd be so much better than 'Old Hyde Park', the most generic, negative neighborhood district I've ever heard of.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I don't ever like the word "old" or "historic" in a neighborhood name, myself. When I lived in Northeast, I used to argue about that all the time with neighborhood people.

I lost.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

I love the name 'Valentine' as a district. I don't understand why everyone is fighting over the Hyde Park name (Old, North, South, Historic etc. ad nauseum) when Valentine sounds so much cooler. I wonder if they've ever thought of having some type of celebration or tie in with Valentine's Day.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Downtown, midtown, uptown terms are OK to use for general vicinity. There are already distinct neighborhood names within each of those vicinities. I live in Westport zipcode but usually call myself a Midtowner and friends in Hyde Park are Midtowners, as are friends in Roanoke. We have common interests across midtown, not just the hoods we live in. Neighborhood and vicinity names have their place.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Midtown can refer to a greater area than an individual neighborhood. For example, Midtown Manhattan in New York City incorporates neighborhoods like Sutton Place, Murray Hill, Clinton (Hell's Kitchen), Chelsea, Kip's Bay, Union Square, Gramercy Park, the Theatre District, and the Flatiron District.

Here in Kansas City, I think Midtown includes Coleman Highlands, Roanoke, Valentine, Volker, Hyde Park, and Old Westport.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^And oddly Uptown is a specific hood within Midtown.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The actual city name on maps for that area of Broadway are:

West of Broadway is Valentine, where Uptown Theater is.
East of Broadway is Hanover Place, where the Betsy Ross building is.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Was it an anti-German decision during WWI/II to stop using Hanover Place and replace with Old Hyde Park? I know a lot of people changed their German sounding names because of fear of being called anti-American. Some even started calling their ancestory Black Dutch instead of German. I think Hanover Place is a much better name then any of the Hyde Park alternatives.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

There is a subdivision called Greystone north of Linwood and south of 31st Street between Pennsylvania and Wyandotte. The Greystone Historic District lies in this area as well.

http://www.kcmo.org/idc/groups/cityplan ... 017789.pdf