New Westport Italian *powered by WC&B*

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

New Westport Italian *powered by WC&B*

Post by trailerkid »

Former Papa Keno's/Art of Pizza is going to be a new Italian restaurant brought to you by Westport Cafe & Bar. Pumped. The pea ravioli is off the chains at WC&B. This is going to be awesome.

Westport kicks fucking ass.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: New Westport Italian *powered by WC&B*

Post by DaveKCMO »

now THAT'S good restaurant news!
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

He's also opening a taco truck called "Westport Street Fare" to be located in the parking lot behind Harry's.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/2011/09/08/31 ... -plan.html
The Boot (after Italy’s boot shape) is to open by late October. It will serve meatballs, pastas, artisan pizzas, risotto and antipasto, along with craft cocktails, including highballs.

But that’s not all. It also will station its Westport Street Fare truck in the parking lot by Harry’s Bar & Tables on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, and have a courtyard with seating. The operation will offer “staple street fare.”
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Don't really like the name, sounds like a shoe store.
kimchi
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kimchi »

well sounds like less of a shoe store than Oakland, CA italian restaurant http://bootandshoeservice.com/ :-P
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

They lost me at "Italian Food".
xorg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by xorg »

edit: foot in mouth.
Last edited by xorg on Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

xorg wrote:
chingon wrote:They lost me at "Italian Food".
ditto, there is something uncooth about what they're attempting to do.. run a french-influenced restaurant and italian as well, next door? sigh. is like homogenized white people trying to open an asian restaurant. is their target audience the olive garden/red lobster patrons?

there are better ways to approach this and not even mention that it's 'italian' or such influenced. they should do their own thing and if it happens to have italian influences without mentioning it then fine, but this approach is pretty gauche, especially for midtown.
That's some seriously racist bull shit.
xorg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by xorg »

huh, i didn't expect a PC response. talking about ethnic food and the ethnicity behind it is hardly a racial slur.

a person opening a restaurant self-described as one ethnic variety (french) and then another restaurant next door with other ethnic take (italian) is essentially playing... manufactured culture.

- a member of the homogenized white people clan
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xorg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by xorg »

nah, not really. is lame too when a restaurant calls itself authentic.

what is being attempted here is awkward though for local chefs. they're better off just being urban dining restaurants that happen to have such influences than attempting both specifically called out as tied to different ethnic identities. yeah, attempting both, especially next door to each other, is essentially manufactured. something i'd expect Legends or P&L to attempt - a single owner of multiple themed restaurants, not local chefs seeking identity among diners.

am glad to see they are investing further into westport.. but this borderline themed restaurant thing.. hmm..
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

xorg wrote:
chingon wrote:They lost me at "Italian Food".
ditto, there is something uncooth about what they're attempting to do.. run a french-influenced restaurant and italian as well, next door? sigh. is like homogenized white people trying to open an asian restaurant. is their target audience the olive garden/red lobster patrons?

there are better ways to approach this and not even mention that it's 'italian' or such influenced. they should do their own thing and if it happens to have italian influences without mentioning it then fine, but this approach is pretty gauche, especially for midtown.

Your argument doesn't make sense and it seems intended to offend.

You're sure not going to be invited over for my phad thai, or my fried chicken for that matter.
xorg
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by xorg »

guess it didn't come across as i intended. apologies if it came across as offensive. am not talking about home cooks who cook anything, but restaurant operators who run multiple various ethnic restaurants specifically under the guise of the ethnic identity.

i do find it strange they are attempting french and italian next door to each other by the same operator. is not really a big deal but some of those identities may be offended or at least scoff at it. reminds me of manufacturing culture that corporations try to do in entertainment districts, which is (just an opinion) uncooth.

i've poorly expressed this and have been rightfully pwned. foot in mouth. mods, feel free to put thread in trash and start another. the WCB people would probably appreciate it.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

xorg wrote:huh, i didn't expect a PC response. talking about ethnic food and the ethnicity behind it is hardly a racial slur.

a person opening a restaurant self-described as one ethnic variety (french) and then another restaurant next door with other ethnic take (italian) is essentially playing... manufactured culture.

- a member of the homogenized white people clan
Did you just fucking say "clan?" [-X
shinatoo wrote:
That's some seriously racist bull shit.
No that's not some seriously racist bullshit.

I'd reserve the criticism on that level for something a little more serious.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Has anyone had the ravioli at WC&B? It's delicious. Opening an 'Italian' concept next door is a fantastic idea. I can't wait.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

warwickland wrote:
No that's not some seriously racist bullshit.
Yes it is.

But lets get back on topic.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

xorg wrote:guess it didn't come across as i intended. apologies if it came across as offensive. am not talking about home cooks who cook anything, but restaurant operators who run multiple various ethnic restaurants specifically under the guise of the ethnic identity.

i do find it strange they are attempting french and italian next door to each other by the same operator. is not really a big deal but some of those identities may be offended or at least scoff at it. reminds me of manufacturing culture that corporations try to do in entertainment districts, which is (just an opinion) uncooth.

i've poorly expressed this and have been rightfully pwned. foot in mouth. mods, feel free to put thread in trash and start another. the WCB people would probably appreciate it.
I sort of agree with your take. Perhaps that's why these places come and go and don't last.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »