BBQ WARS!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BBQ WARS!

Post by KCMax »

brewcrew1000 wrote: I think i just had the best Gas Station BBQ in Jeff City called Lutz's, place was awesome, great pork and they even had homemade potato chips with your choice of 20 different flavors, i opted for the salt and vinegar.  Lines were pretty long but not to the point OK Joe's has been becoming recently.

Wonder if the lines at OK Joe's would be less if Anthony Bourdain and other foodies didn't recommend it as the best bbq in KC.
They've had long lines far before Bourdain ever heard of it.

When I have visitors wanting KC BBQ I always tell them:

Arthur Bryant's if you want history
Jack Stack at the Freight house if you want the coolest venue
Oklahoma Joe's if all you care about is the food
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mean
Administrator
Administrator

BBQ WARS!

Post by mean »

Haters gonna hate, but I suspect that most people who know and care about food will pick Joe's 90% of the time, assuming the quality is still there.
KCMax wrote: They've had long lines far before Bourdain ever heard of it.
Seriously! There were lines out the door every damn day 10 years ago.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

BBQ WARS!

Post by lock+load »

I love Gates too but would never send someone there.  Everytime I have I've got burned.  The quality control at Gates sucks.  How do you tell someone, "oh yeah, your sandwich will be 1/2 fat, but just pick that out."  Seriously people.  OK Joes is consistent and good food.  Sides are highly overrated, but the meat is good.  

What I don't understand is why Gates doesn't make an effort to put out a higher quality product.  You have 30+ minute lines at OK Joes and never more than a 5 minute line at Gates and that is on a busy day.  There are a lot of people in this city that want to love Gates but can't because they've been burned too many times.  I guess it's profitable enough to just cater to the "pick the fat out" crowd.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

BBQ WARS!

Post by KCPowercat »

Nobody said half fat. Brisket cooked right has fat.....nature of the beast.  Has gates had too much fat for me in the past?  Yes. My last two trips to gates have been excellent with a perfect beef sandwich. 

I have no beef with ok joes.....I go there...well get my stuff to go....and I enjoy it. For me though I enjoy gates more. I don't go to bryants much but when I do I'm always very happy I did.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

BBQ WARS!

Post by droopy »

Just order your brisket "lean as" and they will theoretically pick leaner slices.  You can also request a "show" for your ribs and pick a specific rack.  Some people like it damn near burnt, others don't.  There's a whole lingo that goes on at Gates that I've only recently become aware of, probably because I try to avoid Gates as my least favorite spot.  All their pork tastes like ham to me.
admb4ku
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

BBQ WARS!

Post by admb4ku »

KCPowercat wrote: Adm....do you not agree there is a large difference between rosedale and ok joes?  Seems you are trying to paint this as a stateline issue in this discussion that's not really happening except in your own mind.
There is a large difference in quality, other than that, not really.(I like Rosedale, just not as much as OK Joe's) Why, because Rosedale has been there longer? Wyandotte BBQ has been in KCK forever and it is terrible.

I keep seeing OK Joe's is 'JoCo BBQ'. I didn't start that. If anything I am making this a county line issue. If OK Joe's is JoCo BBQ then so is Gates, both have locations in JoCo, neither is the original.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

BBQ WARS!

Post by KCPowercat »

I think his point is the style....not physically where they are located.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

BBQ WARS!

Post by bobbyhawks »

I don't care how many white people patronize a joint, the color of the guy serving me food, if its in KCK, JOCO, or urban KCMO.  I like a lot of different types of BBQ.  I agree with many that the most consistently delicious is probably Okie Joe's.  The most consistent overall is probably Jack Stack (on one hand I think they are normally pretty solid, but on the other, they are a bit like the Cheesecake Factory of KC BBQ).  Bryant's ribs have disappointed me to the point where I won't really order them anymore, but there may be no better, more gutbusting meal for me than a brisket sandwich, side of fries, and side of pickles.  Gates did have major problems for a few years with an overabundance of fat.  I've had great luck there in the last year with some pretty great brisket sandwiches, and if you feel you can pull it off, you can always ask for the sandwich to be lean as possible (also, head to the 12th St. location for the strange and delicious Georgie burger or the Sunday special chicken plate).  Woodyard has the best BBQ smoked chicken ever, and perhaps the best ribs in the city (great pork, too).  Danny Edward's pork is outta this world, and he follows that up with sweet potato fries and great specials every day.  Lots of great options, and really outside of Bryant's and Gates, the only specific to KC flair involved would be burnt ends.  Everywhere is a little bit different, and that is why my destination is set by my mood, rather than a specific allegiance.

Rosedale is really the bottom tier in my opinion.  It is cheap, and well, it is cheap.  At least they are open Sundays.  Their beef is always crispy, the ribs are mutant ribs, though oddly enough, as a person who hates cole slaw, I kinda like their radioactive green slaw.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

BBQ WARS!

Post by chrizow »

bobbyhawks wrote: Gates did have major problems for a few years with an overabundance of fat.  I've had great luck there in the last year with some pretty great brisket sandwiches, and if you feel you can pull it off, you can always ask for the sandwich to be lean as possible (also, head to the 12th St. location for the strange and delicious Georgie burger or the Sunday special chicken plate). 
what is the georgie burger?  i've only been to the linwood/main and cleaver/paseo locations and have not had the opportunity to sample this delicacy.  i do like that certain items are only available at certain locations.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

BBQ WARS!

Post by brewcrew1000 »

bobbyhawks wrote:   Bryant's ribs have disappointed me to the point where I won't really order them anymore, but there may be no better, more gutbusting meal for me than a brisket sandwich, side of fries, and side of pickles. 
The only thing i order at Bryants is the sausage, it's the best stuff and i love how they shave it like gyro meat
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

BBQ WARS!

Post by bobbyhawks »

chrizow wrote: what is the georgie burger?  i've only been to the linwood/main and cleaver/paseo locations and have not had the opportunity to sample this delicacy.  i do like that certain items are only available at certain locations.
Sounds kinda dumb to order at a BBQ joint at first, and perhaps I ordered it on an appropriately hungover Sunday, but it really hit the spot.  It is basically just a simple fast food burger, but with pickles and slathered in Gates sauce.  I think they were only a few bucks.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BBQ WARS!

Post by KCMax »

I wasn't too impressed with Rosedale's either EXCEPT they have the best beans I have ever eaten. Wow.

I am interested in hearing more about under-the-radar BBQ joints outside the big four - AB, Gates, OK Joe's, Jack Stack - you could probably add LCs to that list too. I keep hearing good things about Haywards and I've been meaning to try BB's for a long time. Any other good joints that don't get as much pub?

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

admb4ku wrote: I like how Rosedale is true KC bbq because it is in KCK but OK Joe's is JoCo bbq because it is in KCK.
Maybe because the location has nothing to do with it?  That was my point with Rosedales.  It's in KCK and I like it.  But it's a differnt type of establishment than okjoes.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Rosedale is possibly the worst BBQ I've had anywhere in KC.  I wouldn't eat it again if it was free.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

All I know is when I watch the all star game next year, they better be talking up gates, not fukcing ok joes when they do their local shots around town. :)

OK joes is fine, but it's not KC's signature bbq place.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

GRID wrote: All I know is when I watch the all star game next year, they better be talking up gates, not fukcing ok joes when they do their local shots around town. :)

OK joes is fine, but it's not KC's signature bbq place.
I've never seen either featured in local shots like that - its always Arthur Bryant's.

beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

BTW, if you don't like the fat at Gates, just ask for it 'lean as possible'.  They call it 'lean as'.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I always forget the 'lean ad's request but honestly I haven't needed it lately. Still Brisket has fat. I know that going into sandwich.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

beautyfromashes wrote: BTW, if you don't like the fat at Gates, just ask for it 'lean as possible'.  They call it 'lean as'.
Oh, believe me, I learned this a looooong time ago. Mix plate lean as, sub ham for turkey! This usually ensures that the beef is dry and, though slathering it in Bryant's sauce helps.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KCPowercat wrote: I always forget the 'lean ad's request but honestly I haven't needed it lately. Still Brisket has fat. I know that going into sandwich.
Yeah, lately when I have asked for it lean the guy in the back yells back, "All our meat is lean!"  Maybe, they've heard the criticism and changed how much fat they leave.