BBQ WARS!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: BBQ WARS!

Post by beautyfromashes »

Why not do a takeaway window for those evenings that they don't expect business to be strong? They could have a minimal staff but still stay open.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Quality is the other issue these partial week restaurants suffer from... They don't get into a rhythm of being open and it tends to hurt them.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I posted this in 2 locations, feel free to delete the one that it doesn't belong

Charlie Hustle has released a new line of BBQ shirts and I love them. I want every single one of them. I wish they had an LC's or a Danny Edwards one.
http://www.charliehustleshop.com/collec ... collection

I kind of wish KC would embrace its BBQ culture a little bit more. Sure we had KC Masterpiece (Crap) and mentions of Bryants and Gate pre internet days but It seems it didn't really explode on the national scene until a particular restaurant (Joe's) started showing up on every single travel show. Then once that exploded then our own residents wanted to take all their family and friends to Joe's. 20 years ago I bet it's a completely different tune. Grandpa from Tulsa visiting his daughter in OP says "I want some good BBQ" - No dad we don't really have any good BBQ around here and the stuff that is good is in a very bad part of town, we could get killed, just last week on the news there was a shooting" I dunno I just feel like we should really be proud of our BBQ traditions here in KC but I don't really see that much pride.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Plowboys is so tight with money they have a lit up sign spinning on the sidewalk in front of their entrance....to remind people they aren't open?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I guess I don't buy many t-shirts, but isn't $32 kinda high?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

taxi wrote:I guess I don't buy many t-shirts, but isn't $32 kinda high?
I mean a standard cotton T-shirt of like the royals is usually 20-25 if not discounted. These are the really soft cotton which I like so its worth the extra money to me.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Finally tried the new Plowboys at 12th/Main (was outa town last 4 months). Like the burnt ends and pulled pork and the sides. They shouldn't even bother serving the brisket (though I shouldn't base on one try). Variety of sauces pretty good too. Is good that downtown finally has something above average to represent KC BBQ to visitors/convention people.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

had LC's for the first time since i was young. damn, those burnt ends are pretty good. is it the sauce that's heavy with a worcestershire flavor? at first i thought it was in the bark but had a few bites with no bark and that flavor was still prevalent.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

earthling wrote:Finally tried the new Plowboys at 12th/Main (was outa town last 4 months). Like the burnt ends and pulled pork and the sides. They shouldn't even bother serving the brisket (though I shouldn't base on one try). Variety of sauces pretty good too. Is good that downtown finally has something above average to represent KC BBQ to visitors/convention people.
I've yet to try Plowboys, but am interested in why you shouldn't have bothered with the brisket.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

wahoowa wrote:had LC's for the first time since i was young. damn, those burnt ends are pretty good. is it the sauce that's heavy with a worcestershire flavor? at first i thought it was in the bark but had a few bites with no bark and that flavor was still prevalent.
It's probably been at least 10 years - probably more like 15 - since I've been to LC's. Good to hear their burnt ends are still very good. I've still got them rated as the best burnt end I've ever eaten. That was based on me going there 2 or 3 times per year in the late 90's/very early 2000's.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

Went to Jack Stack (downtown) last night for the first time in 5 months.
Bar wasn't packed, but it took the bartender 6 minutes to recognize me.
I truly despise bartenders that chit chat and refuse to be aware of new patrons sitting down.
Menu has changed, much less to offer now.
Prices have increased about 25%.
Had the 3 meat platter ($26 w/pork and beef burnt ends, and sliced brisket).
With iced tea and subbed extra order of fries instead of slaw - ($31+ total w/tax)
Burnt ends were the bomb (as usual) but the meat portions were half what I remember.
And the fries came on the same plate instead of the extra bowl they used to come in.
Fries on the plate was hardly a camouflage for the obvious lesser portions of meat.
The fries (double order) was just less than what you used to get with the bowl.
$37 w/tip. I doubt I'll be back unless in a group.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

NorthOak wrote:Went to Jack Stack (downtown) last night for the first time in 5 months....
My experience with the portions was the same when we visited the Martin City location a couple of weeks ago. I had the burnt end platter. It was tasty, but skimpier portions than back in the day.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Meat prices have grown astronomically the last few years.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I suppose that's probably not a bad thing in the long run.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Cosco brisket is $7.80 a pound now. That's twice what burger meat is and you can't even use brisket for burger. Brisket is supposed to be cheap, not 2 bucks less than loin cuts.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

I've never known brisket to be inexpensive. Certainly never cheaper than ground beef.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Looks like there are 3 choices for BBQ at Arrowhead this season. Smoke, Plowboys, and Little Pig.
The Little Pig is located in Belton and is a very small restaurant. So if you are at a game and want some BBQ give Little Pig a try.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Another chain BBQ struggles and goes under in KC. How many extant bbq chain restaurants are there in KC (outside of KC chains)? Is there still a Famous Dave's out at the Legends? I guess there will be another Billy Simms in Gardner in 2018.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 51198.html
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Pro tip: Brewery Emperial has been having a rib special on Fri. (after 5) and continues on Sat. until they run out. These are arguably the best ribs in town and a very good deal at around $20 with excellent fries and remarkably good beans. Easily enough for 2 normal-sized people. When I was there Sat., they came with Rosedale sauce on the side – which is good or bad, depending on how (and when) you look at it. I drool on my keyboard as I type.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Thanks for that!