BBQ WARS!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: BBQ WARS!

Post by chingon »

The lines at Bryants and the clientelle at LC's are every bit as white. Sorry it chaps you so that the KC's best bbq is in Kansas, I kind of understand how that might dig a whole in your ego. But, damn, man, Rosedale is five times more a part of urban KC than the "neighborhood" around LC's.

I mean, seriously, too many whites? Maybe Gates got a little worse every time your cracker ass ate there until, viola...it sucked.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote: The lines at Bryants and the clientelle at LC's are every bit as white. Sorry it chaps you so that the KC's best bbq is in Kansas, I kind of understand how that might dig a whole in your ego. But, damn, man, Rosedale is five times more a part of urban KC than the "neighborhood" around LC's.

I mean, seriously, too many whites? Maybe Gates got a little worse every time your cracker ass ate there until, viola...it sucked.
I have mentioned many times that I like Rosedales ;)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Zman is the best sandwich. Great sandwich. Not BBQ. Bbq doesn't have cheese.

I do wish we had a good joint walkable for downtown conventions.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Good debate.  People have their opinions.  Free country!

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/platte- ... IM80SV9KMC
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Good debate.  People have their opinions.  Free country!

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/platte- ... IM80SV9KMC
Sounds like bbq wars on the forum in the comments there.  OK Joes and Jack Stack are my favorites in KC.  From my sampling at least, their meats are just better and leaner.  Gates and Haywards were once favorites but after repeated crappy meals at Gates, I just have not gone back.  BBQ isn't all that cheap so hate to be throwing my money (in the form of fat gristly meat) in the garbage disposal.  The last meal I had at Haywards was not edible, but I won't let one meal turn me away forever.  Gates has decent ribs but brisket and burnt ends etc... have seemed to be going downhill for several years.  I've never been crazy about Texas BBQ, I like the thicker sweeter KC sauces, but their meat is almost always lean. 
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

I wish Gates' food was as good as AB's and other places, because their sauce is probably my favorite.  But if I get BBQ now, I usually only go to AB's and Okie Joe's.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I was at the McDonalds on 14th and Prospect the other day and guess what...100% black folk except me (and I'm even heavily freckled!).

Ergo:

McRib at McDonald's on Prospect is the best bbq in KC.

P.S., in all seriousness, where should I go for lunch today and what should I order? I'm trying to do the full KC Metro BBQ circuit before I return to my beloved LC's.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Try Quick's on Merriam Dr. I really like their ribs. No one ever talks about it but its def one of my favorites..
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

GRID wrote: I have mentioned many times that I like Rosedales ;)
I knew there was probably something in this world that we both liked. Burnt ends at Rosedale are awesome. They're chicken is good too. Not a huge fan of their ribs.

You do know it's in Kansas, right? :)
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

WSPanic wrote: Burnt ends at Rosedale are awesome.
I don't think I've ever had worse burnt ends anywhere.  What they served me weren't burnt ends.  Maybe not even smoked.  Looked and tasted like chunks of meat from a sunday roast.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I concur the burnt ends at Rosedale are awful. It was like bits of leather. The only terrific dish is their beans - best in town IMO.

I also agree Gates has consistently good ribs. Its the only thing I will get from them now.

I need to try Quick's - Colby's not the first I've heard sing their praises.

And all this talk drove me to OK Joe's last night. And it was good.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WSPanic wrote: I knew there was probably something in this world that we both liked. Burnt ends at Rosedale are awesome. They're chicken is good too. Not a huge fan of their ribs.

You do know it's in Kansas, right? :)
Yes, I know it's in Kansas!  It's also right next to one of my favorite kc mexican places.  Sol Azteca, which is also in Kansas.

People, I like OK Joes.  I like their sandwiches.  I just don't think it's the best bbq in kc and I don't think it has any of the atmosphere that screams Kansas City like gates, ab or even jackstack.  Maybe those places are not as good as they used to be, if that's true, then that really sucks.  I think it really depends on what you order though.  As you can see in this thread and the link to the other thread about KC bbq, that people are all over the place when comparing bbq places in KC.  It really comes down to personal preference and what type of bbq you like, the sauces you like, the types of meat you like etc.

I guess I'm just an old school bbq guy that likes to take people to places that are "kansas city".  "Hi may I help you!" as soon as you walk in is Kansas City.  Again, it sucks if the quality is not there anymore, but I hope it returns because gates is part of KC's culture.

If there is one state that I have less interest in than Kansas :), its Oklahama.  Besides a few neighborhoods in Tulsa, I pretty much can't stand the place and it's on the name of KC's biggest bbq joint destination.  Maybe I'm just very annoyed by that little issue, especially when recomending places to first time visitors to KC.

If you want lean consistant deli meat with cheese on it, go to okjoes, sure.  I always send people to the gates on brush creek and they always come back with rave reviews.

Guess I need to go there myself and see what has happened and order something besides my usual ribs, turkey on bun or burnt ends...
Last edited by GRID on Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

chingon wrote:
P.S., in all seriousness, where should I go for lunch today and what should I order? I'm trying to do the full KC Metro BBQ circuit before I return to my beloved LC's.

If you haven't been there, go to Woodyard on Merriam Ln, just west of Lamar.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chingon wrote: I was at the McDonalds on 14th and Prospect the other day and guess what...100% black folk except me (and I'm even heavily freckled!).

Ergo:

McRib at McDonald's on Prospect is the best bbq in KC.
Interestingly, I was the only white guy at the Church's at 12th and Prospect the other day. Best fried chicken in KC, hands down.
GRID wrote: I just hope the urban core bbq I grew up with doesn?t fizzle out and yes, ok joes may as well be at 135th and mission, demographically.
Um, have you BEEN to Gates or Bryant's lately? Do you know who eats there? Tourists and suburbanites. The people in the neighborhood don't have $10 to spend on something they're just going have to throw away.
GRID wrote:It really comes down to personal preference and what type of bbq you like, the sauces you like, the types of meat you like etc.
No, it really comes down to whether the owner / employees give a shit. There is no excuse for some of the things I've had come out of Gates and Bryant's lately, and regularly. This is not even just a recent phenomenon. This has been going on for at least 5-10 years. I wouldn't serve it to a fucking dog, and I don't even like dogs. Seriously.

I've never been screwed like that LC's, though. Just Gates and Bryant's. Maybe I'll go to LC's for lunch.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCMax wrote:
I need to try Quick's - Colby's not the first I've heard sing their praises.
Quick's was the first place I went on this little bbq tour I've embarked upon, and I rave now. They come out of the Rosedale/WyCo white bbq tradition, as does Wyandotte, I think. I have never been impressed by Rosedale, but Quick's really does it for me, especially their ribs.

Caveat Emptor:
I also had burnt ends there, which were very good, but too saucy. I like my bbq "dressed", not swimming, and I thought their sauce was low-end.

Perhaps I'll try Woodyard today. Or maybe Big Q? Or Danny Edwards. I should let GRID choose because I've been ribbing him hard for about a week.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

what about Big T's bbq just east of LC's on Blue Parkway. i have not been there, but i have heard that it's pretty good.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

mean wrote: Interestingly, I was the only white guy at the Church's at 12th and Prospect the other day. Best fried chicken in KC, hands down.
Rubbish. Malign the honor of Go Chicken Go again, and you, sir, should be prepared to get your hands back up.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chrizow wrote: what about Big T's bbq just east of LC's on Blue Parkway. i have not been there, but i have heard that it's pretty good.
I have eaten sandwiches at the Big T's on Blue Ridge several times and thought it was serviceable, but certainly not worth foregoing other bbq for. Something about driving past LC's to go to a different bbq restaurant seems, well...utterly foolish.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote: what about Big T's bbq just east of LC's on Blue Parkway. i have not been there, but i have heard that it's pretty good.
I haven't tried it, but my boss said he thought Big T's (he calls it Mr. T's for some reason) was "about as good or better" than LC's.

Of course, he is also an unashamed fan of Famous Dave's. His culinary opinions are occasionally strange, but I find he's spot on a lot of the time.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I dissed Gates, so I feel that I must stand up for Bryants, to make some amends.

I've been to AB's on Brooklyn four times in the past year.  It has each time been spectacular.  Just brisket, but just awesome.  If you don't like the sauce, then don't go.  It is what it is and we'll just have to differ there.  OJ's sux to me, just sayin'.

This, after about a ten year spate of avoiding the place, following a few meals that were as insulting as my recent Gates experience.

Bryants in my experience seems to be back and this makes me happy on several levels.