BBQ WARS!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: BBQ WARS!

Post by rxlexi »

Jon Russel's is a bit of a hike, but I enjoyed their burnt ends quite a bit, too. Love seeing new 'cue coming on the scene. Because then I can eat it.
Mean, I've not tried it, but I believe there is an outpost of Jon Russel's bbq in the 39th Street Market at the corner of 39th/Stateline (new apartment building with grocery/convenience on ground floor).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Serious Eats profiles KC... more than BBQ...

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/07/best ... -bars.html?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Missouri is only the 5th most BBQ-crazed state

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014/07 ... g-has.html
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Danny Edwards gets a shout out in this month's edition of Esquire. best 5 bbq in the US.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCMax wrote:Missouri is only the 5th most BBQ-crazed state

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2014/07 ... g-has.html
Maybe if St. Louis would stop committing crimes against ravioli, we'd be #1. KC can't carry the state all by itself.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Tried Q39 this past weekend and really enjoyed it. I was a bit skeptical but it lived up to the hype, albeit at high price for a bbq joint.

Atmosphere inside is good, certainly a far cry from the prior Chinese buffet. Wood slats, concrete, edison lights. Rustic chic. I like the garage door with two patio tables and nearby "semi-outside" bar tables.

I had the Black Angus brisket and burnt ends plate, with apple-slaw and baked beans. Brisket was fantastic - three thick slices with perfect smoke char. Burnt ends also very, very good (mmm meat candy) but a bit of a stingy portion IMO, just a handful of them. Baked beans have a unique flavor, more tomato/onion than most? Slaw good and fresh, a nice counterbalance to the meats. Also came with a small side of OK cornbread. Quality of the meat was very high though, just the right amount of fat and cooked perfectly. Certainly a step above my last plate at Gates, etc. $16 for the plate.

Companion had the half-slab, which were also great but came pre-slathered in sauce. Two sides, he added $1 for the fries along with the beans. $20 for the plate w/ fries.

We were only given one sauce, a tasty but perhaps overly sweet one, though I've heard since that they offer multiple sauces.

Had a couple BLVD drafts - they had a decent selection of beer, a good selection for a bbq place, including Tallgrass. Around $5-6 a beer IIRC.

Overall, a really nice addition to the KC scene - I like the actual restaurant-quality atmosphere, the interesting and diverse menu (chipotle sausage, burnt-ends burgers, bbq salads), and the perfectly cooked and smoked meats (most importantly). Prices are rather high (burgers/sandwiches do not come with sides at $8-12), but worth it. And mega bonus points for turning that dingy old strip mall Chinese buffet into a sleek, instant-hit addition to the KC 'Q scene.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The only thing that keeps me from eating at Q39 on a weekly basis is the price. Paying $9.50 for a sandwich with no sides and then forking out $4 for a small side of fries (the ONLY size available) is a little much for me...especially when a Boulevard adds another $6. I haven't found a way to get out without spending at least $20 and still a little hungry. That said, I love everything I've had and always leave wanting more. Business has really picked up there, so the prices aren't keeping people away for now.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

kcjak wrote:The only thing that keeps me from eating at Q39 on a weekly basis is the price. Paying $9.50 for a sandwich with no sides and then forking out $4 for a small side of fries (the ONLY size available) is a little much for me...especially when a Boulevard adds another $6. I haven't found a way to get out without spending at least $20 and still a little hungry. That said, I love everything I've had and always leave wanting more. Business has really picked up there, so the prices aren't keeping people away for now.
I was taken aback that a bottle of BBQ sauce costs just shy of $9. I may be missing something, but that sounds unprecedented to me. Had nothing but great meals there, though.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

While my mind's on BBQ, want to throw a quick shout-out to Smokin' Guns on Swift in NKC. A really underrated place IMO. Everything there is pretty decent, and I would say their burnt ends are among the best in the city. An ample portion of big, smoky meat cubes with just the right amount of char and fat. $12 for burnt ends plate w/ 2 sides, dinner roll, and pickle. Good pulled pork as well, though I've heard their ribs are only OK.

They have a number of interesting sides, including cheesy broccoli and potato casseroles, good baked beans and fresh slaw.

Interior was recently remodeled and has restaurant and bar sides, pretty basic inside but perfectly acceptable and rather large to accommodate the many northlanders that regularly file in for lunch and dinner. They have an awesome rooftop deck with DT skyline views and a stage with live music on the weekends.

Especially for downtowners, this place is worth seeking out. Just a short hop across the MO-9 bridge, great burnt ends, nice deck, cheap. And bonus for all of the nearby dive bars along Swift. Not to mention Cinder Block brewery up the road, into which you can bring some BBQ if you choose.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

pash wrote:Recommended Daily: Plowboys Barbeque to open second location in downtown Kansas City
Plowboys Barbeque plans to open a second location in the Town Pavilion building (1111 Main Street) this November. ...

The original Plowboys (3111 S Missouri 7, Blue Springs, Missouri) celebrated its first anniversary on September 3. Prior to running a brick-and-mortar location, Johns had been competing on the barbecue circuit for a dozen years. ... His team, the Pork Pullin Plowboys, was named the American Royal World Series of Barbecue Invitational Grand Champion in 2009. ...
What are the rules on snarfing brisket aboard the streetcar?
As long as the TSA isn't involved you should be fine.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Great new re: Plowboys downtown. Too much to ask for dinner hours, even say till 6 or 7 PM?

Still can't believe there's no local 'Q in P&L!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote:Great new re: Plowboys downtown. Too much to ask for dinner hours, even say till 6 or 7 PM?

I understand a lot of people in KC work early schedules, but 5:30 still seems awful early to expect that everyone has already headed home. The type of people who need to get carry-out on the way home are probably the same type of people still at work at 6PM.

If this place is even halfway decent, I could see it doing very well, but I don't know that the whole "importing meat from another location" thing generally works out. Also, it sounds strange that they were fine taking fries off the menu because of kitchen limitations. If Okie Joe's or another big name opened in the P&L with full smoking capability (Town Pavilion is just a bit depressing and 1980 corporate feeling), there would be daily lines around the block.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

AR Royal BBQ - who else is going? I love that they are allowing teams to sell food this year if they get the proper licensing - a change that should have come long ago.

I love this event and want to see it continue to grow, and especially to fuel growth in the BBQ hall of fame. That needs to be a big deal, ideally with a nice physical presence in the Bottoms or elsewhere.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I'm going. One of my favorite events of the year.

While competitors can now sell food, I think I read that only 4 actually went through the licensing process. Finding those 4 out of 500+ booths might be a little tricky.

In the same article (bizjournal I think), they mentioned possibly doing a separate event like a "Boulevardia of BBQ". The idea being to emulate Boulevardia and have several vendors offering tastings to everyone. Of course beer and local bands included as well.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote:Great new re: Plowboys downtown. Too much to ask for dinner hours, even say till 6 or 7 PM?

I notice Plowboys has applied for a liquor license. I wonder if they are considering dinner hours?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

smh wrote:

I notice Plowboys has applied for a liquor license. I wonder if they are considering dinner hours?
I have had plowboys in blue springs a few time, i really like it, its one of my top 5 favorite places in the area for BBQ
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Plowboys downtown moving to old ingredient space for longer hours!
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.