Perkins closing

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Perkins closing

Post by mgsports »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Perkins closing

Post by KCMax »

Thank god. My grandmother always wants to lunch there and I hate that place.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

KCMax wrote: Thank god. My grandmother always wants to lunch there and I hate that place.
Yeah, but her backups are Waids and Cracker Barrel.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Trouble for Perkins

No word from corporate on how a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing will affect plans for a Perkins restaurant to open in Independence this summer.

Perkins & Marie Callender’s Inc. filed for Chapter 11 protection on Monday, seeking time to reorganize its operations. The company has six Perkins Restaurant and Bakery locations in the Kansas City area, including one in Lee’s Summit that is staying open. The restaurant at 76th Street and State Line Road will close. It has 142 Marie Callenders restaurants, none in the metro area.

Heading into bankruptcy, the company has 160 corporately owned Perkins sites and 315 franchises sites in the U.S. and Canada. Dozens are set to close, but there’s no word on whether those will be franchised or corporate sites.

Franchisee Jim Rahfaldt, who has two Perkins in Iowa, this spring announced plans for a Perkins at the site of the former Lone Star Steakhouse, 3939 S. Bolger Road, across from the Wal-Mart just off 39th Street near Missouri 291.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

mgsports wrote: Trouble for Perkins

No word from corporate on how a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing will affect plans for a Perkins restaurant to open in Independence this summer.

Perkins & Marie Callender’s Inc. filed for Chapter 11 protection on Monday, seeking time to reorganize its operations. The company has six Perkins Restaurant and Bakery locations in the Kansas City area, including one in Lee’s Summit that is staying open. The restaurant at 76th Street and State Line Road will close. It has 142 Marie Callenders restaurants, none in the metro area.

Heading into bankruptcy, the company has 160 corporately owned Perkins sites and 315 franchises sites in the U.S. and Canada. Dozens are set to close, but there’s no word on whether those will be franchised or corporate sites.

Franchisee Jim Rahfaldt, who has two Perkins in Iowa, this spring announced plans for a Perkins at the site of the former Lone Star Steakhouse, 3939 S. Bolger Road, across from the Wal-Mart just off 39th Street near Missouri 291.
I've always much prefered Perkins to it's competition, particularly Denny's.  Their breakfrast was much better and that's about all I ever ate at either.  It's surprising they are struggling while Denny's does seemingly OK. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Highlander wrote: I've always much prefered Perkins to it's competition, particularly Denny's.  Their breakfrast was much better and that's about all I ever ate at either.  It's surprising they are struggling while Denny's does seemingly OK. 
It's probably mostly nostalgia, but I have to agree.

Perkins frozen hash browns > Denny's rehydrated hash browns.

Perkins paper thin griddled omelet (made with fresh cracked eggs) > Denny's more traditional pan folded omelet (made with "egg solution" from a carton).

Perkins large frozen CFS > Denny's diminutive "two per serving" CFS.

The only thing Denny's has going for it is moons over my hammy. The super bird used to be awesome, when they cut it to look like a bird. Now they just cut it in half. Sigh.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

People flock to Denny's and IHOP for some reason.  I've always considered Perkins to be far better for breakfast than either of those places.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

I read that when Marie Callendars closed, it was very abrupt and people who were dining were told to get up and leave right away.