KANROCKSAS

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KANROCKSAS

Post by KCMax »

:shock: Wow. I assume this thing is dead then. That was a really good lineup.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Location, location, location.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Yeah, I thought the lineup was really strong. I was considering buying a ticket to one of the days but wasn't willing to shell out $100 for one day to see a couple of bands play 20-30 minute sets. And as of last week I was unable to find out a schedule with set times.

On a side note we tailgated in the Speedway parking lot for the Sporting game on Sunday...what a miserable, wind-driven, barren place that was. Throw down a few trees already.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I thought the lineup was really weak, but that's just a matter of personal taste. Not much there I had heard of. I miss having Wakarusa in the neighborhood. Love their lineup.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Can they recover from back-to-back years of cancelling this?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

No.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Seems like a combination of venue and target audience. That was probably the best lineup they had in any year, but it skewed heavily toward indie bands. Maybe the hipsters don't want to stand around on a speedway for 16 hours.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

chaglang wrote:Seems like a combination of venue and target audience. That was probably the best lineup they had in any year, but it skewed heavily toward indie bands. Maybe the hipsters don't want to stand around on a speedway for 16 hours.
Or pay $200 for short sets for bands you can see for $40 or less in better venues.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

And that. At least a couple of those acts have been here recently for free/cheap shows put on by 96.5.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Entertainment Weekly had this as one of the top festivals in the country this summer. Little did they know.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kanrocksas founder Bill Brandmeyer is being sued by local booking and promotions company Mammoth Inc.
The suit claims that the actions of Brandmeyer's company, MMF LLC, have "effectively destroyed Mammoth's business and ruined the company's reputation and ability to do business in the music industry."
The lawsuit (you can scroll through it below) has a few other interesting tidbits. It alleges that Mammoth, after learning of Brandmeyer's intention to cancel the festival, secured an alternative venue to hold the fest, but Brandmeyer still canceled. It also alleges that Brandmeyer hasn't paid any of the artists.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Favorite part of skimming the lawsuit was #43

"Mammoth imperatively and unambiguously told Defendants that they were handling this in a hokie manner, that they were throwing Mammoth under the bus, and that such action would ruin Mammoth."
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

longviewmo wrote:Favorite part of skimming the lawsuit was #43

"Mammoth imperatively and unambiguously told Defendants that they were handling this in a hokie manner, that they were throwing Mammoth under the bus, and that such action would ruin Mammoth."
Legal argle-blargle.