Middle of the Map fest

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Middle of the Map fest

Post by DaveKCMO »

the film fest was a pretty cool addition. saw six films over the weekend for our $25 pass... a total steal.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

2014 lineup announced:

http://iheartlocalmusic.com/2014/02/05/ ... 14-lineup/

That blog ^ had the full line-up in the easiest-on-the-eyes layout I found.
Some 120 acts; Of Montreal, Kate Nash, Get Up Kids, J. Roddy Walsh & the Business to headline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ZOvW-S9gA

^Official announcement vid.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/05/47 ... -inks.html

^This blog features an interview and the logistics- biggest venue will be the Buzzard parking lot.
Claims it'll fit 2,500 for the headliners.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Nice! Of Montreal is a big score in my book.

It sounds like they wanted to get different KC bands involved, so the local contingent doesn't look as strong to me as in years past, but I guess it will be a good opportunity to discover new acts.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Yes indeed Of Montreal will be sick! Can't wait for Spring to come, for about a million reasons.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Middle of the Map has announced the dates for this year: April 22-25. The line up will be announced Tuesday, Feb 3rd.

They are advertising "Huge Wed & Thurs line ups at the Uptown. Fri & Sat 100+ bands in Westport"

I like it being a couple weeks later for a better chance at good weather, though it seems like they might not have an outdoor stage this year if the big acts are at Uptown. I'm excited for the lineup.

It was also just announced that Sufjan Stevens will be at the Midland on April 21st and Death Cab for Cutie will be there April 23rd. Busy concert week! MOTM will definitely have some competition on the 23rd with Death Cab. Maybe they can create some synergy and draw more out-of-towners to the area for for the whole week.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

http://www.kkfi.org/program-episodes/we ... t-sound-5/

This 90.1 broadcast tomorrow, Tuesday the 3rd, is where the lineup will be announced. 11 am.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I see MOTM has pre-sale tickets available currently. No line-up or venues are yet listed. 4 day passes listed at $75 for music. It looks like they will continue with film and other events leading up to the music.

It will be interesting to see how they cope with the loss of the "main stage" parking lot and record bar. I think it would be great if they set up a true street festival and close down westport road between main and broadway with an outdoor stage along there. Then they could also shutdown traffic in the heart of westport with a smaller outdoor stage in the parking lot across from Char Bar as well.

They could add Harlings, the Madrid, and Blind Tiger as venues and really balance out the festival along Westport road to the east. It always sucked trying to hit a show over at record bar anyway.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Line up release will be March 1st as Ollie's Local.

They didn't have the "main stage" parking lot last year - it was moved to the lot across from Char Bar.

I'm surprised there haven't been any more rumblings about a new Record Bar location. Anyone hear anything?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i've been told repeatedly that MOTM will focus less on midtown/westport this year. the film and conference bits were already downtown/crossroads anyway.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

That'll be too bad if they spread this thin between Xroads and Westport. Being able to walk between all of the venues is a big part of the draw for me.
Last edited by kboish on Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

When I think of live music venues for this type of thing...I think of Crossroads/DT. Oh wait...no I don't.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

MOTM is the same weekend of the streetcar launch, I wonder if it is planned as part of the festivities? Wish they would announce the lineup already...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mgh7676 wrote:MOTM is the same weekend of the streetcar launch, I wonder if it is planned as part of the festivities? Wish they would announce the lineup already...
a collaboration is being discussed.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Nothing on a schedule for KC Live! Block stage...ugh...Hope MOTM isn't planning on using that as a venue.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Line up release will be March 1st as Ollie's Local.

They didn't have the "main stage" parking lot last year - it was moved to the lot across from Char Bar.

I'm surprised there haven't been any more rumblings about a new Record Bar location. Anyone hear anything?

New location announced by Steve T. tonight at MOTM Lineup party.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

DaveKCMO wrote:i've been told repeatedly that MOTM will focus less on midtown/westport this year. the film and conference bits were already downtown/crossroads anyway.
Maybe we could infer from this that the new Record Bar location will be in the Crossroads.

If they have a similar format to last year, maybe the Weds and Thurs shows could be at the Midland. The main outdoor stage for Fri and Sat could be either Crossroads KC or KC Live. Other venues could include the new Record Bar, The Brick, Tank Room, the new Prohibition Hall...

Middle of the Map, streetcar opening, First Friday... has the potential to be a crazy weekend in the Crossroads.