Genessee Royale Bistro

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Genessee Royale Bistro

Post by chingon »

ChefColby wrote:
"Who the hell is That guy and why does he have a whole goat, 15 cases of frozen chicken wings, 8 cases of frozen pizzas and a pint of strawberries?!?!?"

I sometimes buy whole goats there. Its pretty much there or Bichelmeyer or call ahead to a halal.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

ChefColby wrote: We laugh and wonder where everyone else came from?

"Who the hell is That guy and why does he have a whole goat, 15 cases of frozen chicken wings, 8 cases of frozen pizzas and a pint of strawberries?!?!?"

Ha!  We all play that same game at the grocery store.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

ChefColby wrote: We go almost 3 times a week....Produce, dry goods, spices, misc. smallwares...It keeps you from buying more than what you need. You don't have to commit to large pack sizes like you do when ordering from vendors.

And yes, we bump into each other..The crazy thing is, I bump into people I know maybe 25% of the time...We laugh and wonder where everyone else came from?

Might be restaurant humor but we chuckle none the less....

(Sorry off topic) Go Todd!!

I would think those of you in fine dining would at least wear disguises to RD 8)
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

NOTE: Todd, who owns Happy Gillis, and the Bistro is Grinders Guest chef for Taste Beering in April. If you haven't made it to any of these events its great time and fantastic food. Previous chefs include, Jasper, Jenifer Moloney,Craig Adcock, Mike Faoust,Howard Hanna, John McClure, just to mention several. Oh and it's not expensive...
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

elextendo wrote: NOTE: Todd, who owns Happy Gillis, and the Bistro is Grinders Guest chef for Taste Beering in April. If you haven't made it to any of these events its great time and fantastic food. Previous chefs include, Jasper, Jenifer Moloney,Craig Adcock, Mike Faoust,Howard Hanna, John McClure, just to mention several. Oh and it's not expensive...
elextendo wrote: Did'nt realize this forum was for advertising
Moderators?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

trailerkid wrote: Moderators?
I'm a fan of Stretch, so maybe no surprise, but I'm cool with him giving a heads up on this type of event.  It's as relevant as Howard inviting us down for a deal at Rieger, or UMKCRoo giving the scoop on his new space, or offerings.  If the folks at Whopper Bar wanted to come on and tell us more about what they are trying to do and to invite us by, I would be interested to hear about it.  This place serves a bit as the barber shop where we hear what each other is up to.

I'm sorry I missed the Tasting with Michael Foust.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

loftguy wrote: I'm a fan of Stretch, so maybe no surprise, but I'm cool with him giving a heads up on this type of event.  It's as relevant as Howard inviting us down for a deal at Rieger, or UMKCRoo giving the scoop on his new space, or offerings.  If the folks at Whopper Bar wanted to come on and tell us more about what they are trying to do and to invite us by, I would be interested to hear about it.  This place serves a bit as the barber shop where we hear what each other is up to.

I'm sorry I missed the Tasting with Michael Foust.

I totally agree. Just don't tell others not to advertise when that's 70% of your posts.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote: I'm not being condescending...I just find the whole idea of going to Restaurant Depot interesting and amusing from a civilian perspective. Like the Grunauer crew is over there bumping into Stretch or the crew from Gates. I'm pretty sure I'd watch a reality show just set in a Restaurant Depot.
I dunno about a reality show, but I might actually watch that sitcom.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mean wrote: I dunno about a reality show, but I might actually watch that sitcom.
:lol:

How about a reali-sitcom ala Parking Wars or Sarah Palin's Alaska?
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Thanks for keeping the post, If you haven't figured it out Grinders is there for all. NOT just ourselves, we want people to go to other joints and experience the food why we have guest chefs. I will be cautious on how I use the forum..thanks.EAT AT GRINDERS, Go listen to live music@ XRDS
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

elextendo wrote: Did'nt realize this forum was for advertising

C'mon Jeff! :lol:
Last edited by trailerkid on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Nice TK. Anton's still on that card.
P&L Free since 2008
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

can't say enough good things about genessee royale.  we have been for saturday breakfast a few times recently and it is just very, very good.  highlights:

* cornmeal waffles with sour cream and fresh berries.
* finally tried the chicken on a biscuit with an over easy egg - delicious, one of the best single breakfast items in KC, i'd say.
* ham, egg and cheese biscuit with sauce made with raspberry and hot sauce.  very good breakfast sandwich.
* fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I wholeheartedly agree with Chrizow's take on Genessee Royale's brunch items.  I LOVE the ham, egg and cheese biscuit...the raspberry and hot sauce adds an interesting and entirely appropriate dimension to an otherwise solid breakfast classic. 

It's upscale West Bottoms food...something feels right about a ham and cheese biscuit or fat burger on an English muffin in the shadow of the Livestock Exchange building. 
are we spinning free?
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I agree with everything said here.  The chicken biscuit with gravy and fried egg is my favorite, the pies are uniformly good, and they make a nice Bloody Mary on those mornings when it hits the spot.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

are they open on Sundays yet?
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Can't find the RBar thread via the app, but District-relevant: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bfs/2586863448.html
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Do people really sell restuarants on craigslist? This has got to be a joke, right?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Do people really sell bars on craigslist?
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I don't think Craigs List is the best way to go about it, but this is definitely not a joke.

Joy is even posting stuff on FB and Twitter about wanting out.

I just hope whatever happens, the new owners keep that beautiful bar. It would be a shame for that masterpiece to be dismantled.