Genessee Royale Bistro

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Genessee Royale Bistro

Post by bobbyhawks »

heatherkay wrote: We got a postcard, too, but only because we expressed admiration for the mascot behind the bar, the steer with the fancy crown.
I thought that was standard.  I have two postcards from different visits.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i did not get a postcard. i did get good food, which is why i was there. try the monte cristo.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DaveKCMO wrote: i did not get a postcard. i did get good food, which is why i was there. try the monte cristo.
I know there's a cult of monte cristo seekers in KC, will have to let them know!
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

grovester wrote: I know there's a cult of monte cristo seekers in KC, will have to let them know!
http://lthforum.com/kc/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118  :D
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

We went here for lunch last Saturday and it was fantastic.  Had about a 15 minute wait before the four of us gathered around a tiny little ice-ceam table.  Our server was pleasantly quirky.  Best way to describe it. 

I had the burger with gruyere, it was very good!  The wifey had the grilled cheese which was perfectly golden and looked amazing.  The parentals had the chicken salad.

Everyone loved the place and we'll be back. 
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Awesome.....finally got here for lunch today. Very impressed.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Went for Brunch on Saturday.  Fantastic food and very cool atmosphere.  GF had the chicken/biscuit/gravy, and I had the monte cristo.  I haven't had a monte cristo in probably 12 years, and never really think about it.  But it's a great brunch item, and theirs is delicious.  It was served with a salad of greens, brussel sprouts and bacon.  Really good.  I like the quaint decor in an old gas station.  Great addition to the west bottoms!
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

Wife and I went today, I had the Boyle?s corned beef, it was very tasty and somehow having the Brussels sprouts in the sandwich worked.  They had plenty of the aged gruyere cheese in there and that put it over the top.  Nancy had one of the daily specials, flatted chicken covered with a nice salad, she liked it and since we were both a little hungry, we had the pie of the day.  We never do that for lunch, but we are glad we did this time.  It was a chocolate mocha mousse with coffee beans mixed in and some kind of toffee cracker.  Different but very good.  We have always liked the chef, Blair, from You Say Tomato, and she is doing a great job here.  The only odd thing was I was charged $10 for the $9 corned beef, but didn?t notice that till later.  Not a big deal, but a little strange.  Next time I?ll double check before I leave.  We will be back.  There is also supposed to be a place to taste wine across the street?  The server we had didn?t know much about it, but knew something was going on.  Nancy and a friend are going to check that out later in the week.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

hey CK, yeah the "wine tasting" room across the street is just that, a room in the Livestock Exchange Building operated by Michael Amigoni of Inland Sea Winery.  He is a super-nice guy out of Leawood with a big plot of land in Missouri (not far from the metro if I recall) where he has been growing California and other non-native grapes.  I enjoy their Chardonnay and Malbec, but I'm no wine expert.

The guy is very passionate and occasionally has tastings at the LEB...it sort of serves as his "retail" store, though it is only open at specific times.  The wines are available all over town.  Definitely try to make it down to a tasting, it's a great time and I love the nerve of a guy trying to grow those grapes in our climate.

Do any real wine people have any comments about Inland Sea's stuff?

This could maybe use it's own thread too...
are we spinning free?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i will say that Inland Sea's wines taste like wine, and taste like the varietals they are suppsoed to be made from---a welcome respite from sickly sweet MO/KS "wines" made from blueberries and shit.  i also like they make a cab franc, which is our favorite.  that said, the wines are not that great, esp. for the price point - but if you want a local wine their wines are the best i am aware of.  

we finally tried genessee royale for brunch recently, and really loved the food.  there was a pretty long wait to get a table (we actually ended up sitting at the bar), but i guess that is a good sign.  i think they could actually squeeze some more tables in there if they wanted to.   i had the "farmhouse breakfast" - totally solid eggs, bacon, toast, etc.  my wife had a riff on eggs benedict that incorporated a cheesy sauce made with blvd tank 7, and it was delicious.  all of the food i saw being served looked A+.  great service, strong coffee, it appears they basically serve every kind of boulevard beer available, which is great.

my one gripe - and it's actually kind of a big one - is that they promptly switched from breakfast to lunch at 11am.  not a big deal on a weekday, but on saturday it is unfortunate - particularly when you know that the 10 people lined up for a table are more than likely desiring breakfast, not lunch.  to be fair, there are a couple of brunchy things on the lunch menu, but it's not the same.  if i were them, i would switch up the Sat-Sun menu to serve brunch all day, and just have a couple of lunch items on there if people want them.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

GB's monte cristo is awesome, and the burger is one of the best in town.  well worth checking out.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

chrizow wrote: GB's monte cristo is awesome, and the burger is one of the best in town.  well worth checking out.
Ditto!  My new pre/post restaurant depot stop.
GO ROOs!!!!!
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

UMKCroo wrote: My new pre/post restaurant depot stop.
I'm sorry, but... :lol:
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

where should a chef go to buy supplies?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

They don't go to Function Junction?
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

trailerkid wrote: I'm sorry, but... :lol:
Everyone, I mean everyone goes to the depot for some reason or another.  Ask any chef. Supplies, to go boxes, the occasional shorted order, yeast, flour, toilet paper to name a few from my last visit....quite a life saver when you're in a pinch and the driver forgot your __________.  Especially for us because it is so close.  Additionally, for me, it allows me to sneak out and have a reason to go to genessee royale (and wonder around the bottoms)!
GO ROOs!!!!!
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

On multiple occasions I've seen Michael Smith at Restaurant Depot. It's not some dirty secret of a place. Restaurants need supplies, even the really nice ones. I don't know of any place to get locally sourced, free-range portion bags.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

UMKCroo wrote: Everyone, I mean everyone goes to the depot for some reason or another.  Ask any chef. Supplies, to go boxes, the occasional shorted order, yeast, flour, toilet paper to name a few from my last visit....quite a life saver when you're in a pinch and the driver forgot your __________.  Especially for us because it is so close.  Additionally, for me, it allows me to sneak out and have a reason to go to genessee royale (and wonder around the bottoms)!
I'm not being condescending...I just find the whole idea of going to Restaurant Depot interesting and amusing from a civilian perspective. Like the Grunauer crew is over there bumping into Stretch or the crew from Gates. I'm pretty sure I'd watch a reality show just set in a Restaurant Depot.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

trailerkid wrote: I'm not being condescending...I just find the whole idea of going to Restaurant Depot interesting and amusing from a civilian perspective. Like the Grunauer crew is over there bumping into Stretch or the crew from Gates. I'm pretty sure I'd watch a reality show just set in a Restaurant Depot.
You would be surprised how mundane it is. Oh, wait, maybe that *would* make for great reality TV.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

We go almost 3 times a week....Produce, dry goods, spices, misc. smallwares...It keeps you from buying more than what you need. You don't have to commit to large pack sizes like you do when ordering from vendors.

And yes, we bump into each other..The crazy thing is, I bump into people I know maybe 25% of the time...We laugh and wonder where everyone else came from?

"Who the hell is That guy and why does he have a whole goat, 15 cases of frozen chicken wings, 8 cases of frozen pizzas and a pint of strawberries?!?!?"

Might be restaurant humor but we chuckle none the less....

(Sorry off topic) Go Todd!!