Genessee Royale Bistro

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Genessee Royale Bistro

Post by bobbyhawks »

I have not seen mention of this elsewhere, but the Genessee Royale Bistro has evidently just opened in the West Bottoms.  It is located in the old gas station across from the Livestock Exchange Building.

My friend notified me that its current hours are 8 AM to 4 PM Monday through Saturday.  For those not aware, this was opened by those who also brought you Happy Gillis.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Genessee Royale Bistro

Post by trailerkid »

cool. thanks for the heads up. weird/interesting they are opening without any fanfare so far.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

[img width=500]http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com ... FHcASKA%3D[/img]

MOD: link expired :(
Last edited by DaveKCMO on Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Had lunch at the Genessee Royale today.  They recommended their burger and their chicken with egg, biscuit, and gravy.  I had the latter, and it was very good.  The chicken was a grilled breast with a crust to it, an over easy egg, delicious biscuit, and creamy white gravy.  It was a decent sized portion, not too large, not too small, and I think it was $9 if I recall.  They have booze and are open from 8 AM to 4 PM Monday through Saturday as mentioned earlier.  Prices are in the $7 to $12 range for meals, and they have a reasonable selection of items on the menu for breakfast and for lunch.

I did mention that it would be nice if they opened an hour earlier for those commuting to work during weekdays, and I think the servers understood the gripe.  Also, they have a liquor license and close at 4 PM?  They said they may open in evenings for area special events, Dolphin Gallery events, and First Fridays when it isn't so cold.  It is a nice to have a good option for lunch in that area since R Bar does not serve lunch anymore.  It would be nicer if R Bar and the Royale were each open for both lunch and dinner.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

web site is working with menu:

http://www.genesseeroyale.com/
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

wow, the menu looks great! we'll need to check it out. 
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Enjoyed breakfast this morning at Genessee Royale with my wife.

As always, Todd's food is terrific. Simple, tasty, great ingredients.  I had his version of Corned Beef Hash. Delicious.  Wife had the Egg Sandwich.  Coffee I wish I had at home.  Can't wait to try some of the other dishes.  Very friendly service.

Really impressed with the space.  Lots of light with the garage doors. Design-wise, it has a similar feel as Happy Gillis...mixed furniture, shabby chic stuff on the walls.  Should be great in nicer weather with the garage doors open and patio seating. 

The bar they built is really cool. Todd found some beautiful old doors that were then connected to make the front of the bar. He had a friend build out the rest.  Looks great.

Get down there and check it out!
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I was really sad to see they weren't open on Sunday.  I know that even restaurant people need a day off, but Sunday is the one and only day we ever think about going out for breakfast. 
jbkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jbkc »

i drove down there sunday too hoping to try some new food, but found it closed :(  sunday is brunch day!  maybe they can be closed mondays?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I thought it especially odd since they have a liquor license and close at 4 PM.  Not being open for dinner, one would think that Saturday and Sunday brunch would be the best times to sell booze.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

The booze was flowing when we were there for lunch on Saturday.  Lots of mixed drinks and a round of champagne in a can for another table.

French onion soup was awesome.  Corned beef sandwich with cheese, brussel sprouts and mustard was really tasty.  Peanut butter sandwich cookies for dessert were amazing.

We loved it all.  I do wish there were a few more sandwich selections a la Happy Gillis.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

bobbyhawks wrote: I thought it especially odd since they have a liquor license and close at 4 PM.  Not being open for dinner, one would think that Saturday and Sunday brunch would be the best times to sell booze.
Maybe they have long term goals? I would go through the hassle just to get it over with..

I think Room 39 had their license too before they had dinner.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

jbkc wrote: i drove down there sunday too hoping to try some new food, but found it closed :(  sunday is brunch day!  maybe they can be closed mondays?
wouldn't it help if their hours were on their website?
jbkc
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by jbkc »

exactly!  i thought that very odd.  not even sure if they were on the door?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

ChefColby wrote: Maybe they have long term goals? I would go through the hassle just to get it over with..

I think Room 39 had their license too before they had dinner.
I hope so.  It would be great to have another option in this area for dinner and drinks.  I really enjoy what they did with the place.  That whole corner has potential to be something pretty unique.

And in the long run, it is probably better they have strange hours with a liquor license than lots of hours without in the beginning.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I tried the Genesee Royale a couple of weeks ago for a New Years Eve lunch and really enjoyed it.  Sat at the bar and had the Butcher Stand Burger, thick, greasy and delicious, served on an english muffin and french onion soup.  A hearty winter lunch.  Food and decor were much as advertised...a little bit broader, more comfort food oriented menu than Happy Gillis.  Had a decent bloody mary and coffee, a classic Happy Gillis combo for me as well.

I LOVE the vintage-look Stockyards District sign above their parking lot, and the patio looks like it will be a prime spot come warmer weather with the garage doors on that western wall.  There needs to be a vintage hot-rod or old truck parked out front full-time beneath the old gas station canopy.  

The interior of the place is a little bit colder and more open than Happy Gillis, but still retains some charm and would work well if they ever choose to do dinner (I hope).  There is a great miniature cow sculpture with a little crown above the bar that is also on the postcards that they bring your check on...the image fits the place, and the potential of the area, to T.  It was supremely satisfying to devour a hot, meaty burger atop a bar stool staring out into the expanse of former stockyards.  Man, if this little stretch of the bottoms can keep chugging along, adding new biz here and there, look out...
Last edited by rxlexi on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
are we spinning free?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Had breakfast and it was very good.  Thought the hash browns serving could have been a little more generous, but the wife's farmers platter looked perfect. Nice touches with homemade sugar cubes and flowers on the table.  Raspberry jam was fantastic. We will definitely be back for breakfast and lunch.  Overheard the server say they would stay open later in the year, maybe 8pm, and serve small plates.  Should be nice with the roll up doors and patio area.

Oh yeah, you get a postcard with your tab, very nice.
Last edited by grovester on Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote: Had breakfast and it was very good.  Thought the hash browns serving could have been a little more generous, but the wife's farmers platter looked perfect. Nice touches with homemade sugar cubes and flowers on the table.  Raspberry jam was fantastic. We will definitely be back for breakfast and lunch.  Overheard the server say they would stay open later in the year, maybe 8pm, and serve small plates.  Should be nice with the roll up doors and patio area.

Oh yeah, you get a postcard with your tab, very nice.
we were there at the same time! i sat at the bar and had the monte cristo and a champagne cocktail, both wonderful. i did not get a postcard :(
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Perhaps we looked like tourists :)
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We got a postcard, too, but only because we expressed admiration for the mascot behind the bar, the steer with the fancy crown.