Best beer, wine, & spirits retailers in KCMO city?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Best beer, wine, & spirits retailers in KCMO city?

Post by trailerkid »

What are the best liquor, wine and/or beer retailers in the city? The best liquor store I've found for beer is Gomer's Midtown. Where else?
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Best beer, wine, & spirits retailers in KCMO city?

Post by nilsson1941 »

berbiglia's
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

nilsson1941 wrote: berbiglia's

which one? 43rd/Main is horrible.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The westport rd one is better.......the one in Martini corner isn't bad.

I get most my stuff at Cosentinos anymore and Cellar Rats for wine......but Red X is the king.....if I'm throwing a party, I go there.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

berbiglia is BAD - at least few around here in brookside/waldo.  lukas liquor superstore way down at 135th and state line (in MO) is great.  everything you could possibly need.  i typically go to price chopper at 103rd, though.  decent selection and REALLY great deals right now for thanksgiving. 
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Gomers, no contest.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Gomer's Cellar Rat..

berbiglia is horrible...all of them. It kinda looks like they have some issues. My brother used to work in liq stores and do merchandising for a large metro liq company and he said you can tell how well a store is doing by how many bottles deep their shelves are. I don't know if that's true, but berbiglia always seems like it has a very light inventory.

Technically, Lucas is in KCMO proper and probably is the best liquor store in the metro. 
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Gomers (i shop the one at 103rd-ish and Holmes) and Lucas are both very good.  The one in Prairie Village - I think it's Rimann Liquors is also solid but this is not KCMO.  I'm beer-centric, and those 3 have the better beer selections.  Hyvee Liquor on the MO side at 78th-ish and State Line is above average but far from the other 3 in selection.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Love Cellar Rat. Focus is on wine, with educational seminars, tastings, and special events.  But they also carry a nice small selection of craft spirits and beers, and cigars. 

For sheer massive selection, nothing can come close to Lukas at 135th and State Line.  It's our version of Sam's Liquors in Chicago.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I cast a hearty second for Riverside Red X. 

They used to be 15 to 20% below any competition.  Now they still provide some great occasional bargains, but they always have an amazingly broad and surprising selection of wines and spirits.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

RED X!  Red X in Riverside is, IMO, far and away better than Lukas, if just for the locale and random crap in the rest of the store.  Extremely solid beer/wine/spirits selection, usually cheap.  Fun store to shop.  Lot closer too, to me at least, than 135th.
are we spinning free?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Plus you can get fried frog legs to go with your beer at the RedX.

If you need an interesting keg, you can't beat Lukas though. 
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

For me, Costco, Lucas or Cosentino's.

I use Cellar Rat for items that I cannot get elsewhere in the city or if I just need to pick up a single thing.  Otherwise, I find their prices outrageous.  I really wish this wasn't the case.  I do not expect them to compete with Lucas Liquor or Costco based simply on size and business model. 

Unfortunately, the only thing that I have found that they have that I cannot find anywhere else is a bottle of Prosecco that my wife and I drink regularly.  Also, if I want beer selection, I think that Cosentino's has a similar, if not better selection.

I keep a mental list of wine that I regularly purchase and the prices that I am used to.  One for example is Decoy Pinot Noir.  I regularly pay about $22 at Lucus for this bottle (not include case discount).  When I went Friday night to look around @ Cellar Rat (waiting for take out sushi from Nara), they had it for $38 (I think, I might long a $1 or $2).  So lets assume they had it for $36.  That's a huge premium over Lucas.

I really want to use Cellar Rat, I just cannot justify it right now.  Also, they have a nice selection of meats and cheeses, but these are 2x the price as Cosentino's - which is obviously expected.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

does Cellar Rat sell beer? does Cosentino's have a good beer selection?

it'll be interesting to see how Cellar & Loft shakes things up in terms of selection.

i love Lukas, but i'm talking CITY retailers.  8)
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

KC Sporting Life wrote: For sheer massive selection, nothing can come close to Lukas at 135th and State Line.  It's our version of Sam's Liquors in Chicago.
Didn't Sam's close, Ryan?
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: does Cellar Rat sell beer?
A smallish but generally high quality selection.  But they only have one small cooler so you rule out much of the selection unless you are in a position to buy warm and drink tomorrow. 
trailerkid wrote: does Cosentino's have a good beer selection?
Pretty good for a grocery store.  It doesn't stand out but a beer snob will be able to find something interesting - kind of on par with the Westport Sunfresh, which I also rate as above average for a grocery. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Pretty good for a grocery store.  It doesn't stand out but a beer snob will be able to find something interesting - kind of on par with the Westport Sunfresh, which I also rate as above average for a grocery. 
That Sunfresh doesn't sell Bell's. Last time I was in KC we went to Sunfresh, World Market, & Berbiglia before finding some Oberon @ Gomer's (which blew everyone else out of the water in terms of service/selection). I was a little surprised how shitty the selection was around Westport considering its demos. This time we'll be around downtown so I wanted to get some expert opinions before we trekked all over town.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I believe the parking nazi liquor store at 39th and Bell carries Bell's, too, fwiw.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: That Sunfresh doesn't sell Bell's. Last time I was in KC we went to Sunfresh, World Market, & Berbiglia before finding some Oberon @ Gomer's (which blew everyone else out of the water in terms of service/selection). I was a little surprised how shitty the selection was around Westport considering its demos. This time we'll be around downtown so I wanted to get some expert opinions before we trekked all over town.
Yeah, I wouldn't go to either of those groceries with the mindset that I wanted one particular specialty beer.  But still a significant upgrade from your typical grocery offerings of only macrobrew and a few token, ubiquitous micro offerings.  

P.S. Pretty sure I have bought sixers of Two Hearted Ale at Consentinos but I don't remember if they had Oberon with it.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

moosnsqrl wrote: Didn't Sam's close, Ryan?
It was bought by Binny's, which is a fine institution in its own right.