Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Rieger Hotel Grill & Exchange

Post by bobbyhawks »

When will then be now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o  (Link not related to Rieger)

Soon.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

moosnsqrl wrote: When the giant ball of red tape is depleted, I believe :(
Damn, that's right!  The city is still afraid that Pendergast is trying to come back.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

bobbyhawks wrote: When will then be now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeZ9HhHU86o  (Link not related to Rieger)

Soon.

Thanks.  That made me laugh.  :D

Soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

There was a soft opening tonight according to twitterverse
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Got the chance to get a sneak peek/taste last night.

All I can say is WOW!!  It was a fabulous experience in every aspect.

A selected drink list was presented until the bar is fully stocked.  I started off with the Rieger Gin & Tonic with home made tonic. Great, clean, classic taste.  Also had a few sips of a Winter in Buenos Aries which was also top notch.

For app we had the Carne Crudo which is a beef tartar made with filet. Really nice flavors here.  Moved on to salads after that.  We sampled the House Salad and the Butter Lettuce salad, which had apples, goat cheese and Marcona almonds.  The house salad was good, but rather plain when compared to the Butter Lettuce salad.  I'd get the Butter Lettuce next time.

As it was freezing cold out last night, we went hearty for the main courses with the Crispy Berkshire Pork and the Roasted Beef Tenderloin.  Both of these dishes were a home run.  The tenderloin was buttery tender and delicious.  Cooked perfectly.  The pork shoulder is to die for.  3 of the tenderest cubes of pork that are seared on the outside to give a wonderful crispy exterior.  Heavenly good.

We finished it off with dessert.  Since I didn't see Crispy Berkshire Pork on the dessert menu we got the chocolate cake and the Banoffee pie.  The chocolate cake was tasty but somewhat unremarkable, especially when compared to the Banoffee pie.  Kind of like a miniature banana cream pie topped with a giant toffee crown.  I wasn't sure what to expect, be we really ended up enjoying this.

From our experience, you would have never known this was a test run.  The food was perfect, service was outstanding.  And the space looked much, much better.  Ryan and Howard have really put together something special.

Word is the restaurant should open later this week and Manifesto will follow shortly after that.  So happy to see this space up and running and looking forward to many return visits.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

I am writing this in a severe pork-induced coma, so it will be brief and I will try to do better in a week or two, when I have fully recovered.

We had much the same fare as KC Lofts.  We enjoyed a Winter in Buenos Aires at the bar (admittedly, I had sneaked a couple of these at Farmhouse a few weeks ago, so my Jones wasn't as bad as it might have been).  Once seated, we shared a charcuterie plate - this is one of Chef Hanna's specialities - and it did not disappoint.  A little background here: I spent time in France in high school, have visited most western European countries, BUT was vegetarian for 14 years in my  30s and 40s, so I have a bizarre and conflicted history with meats. I can say, without hesitation, that the headcheese and rillettes were off-the-charts, amazing, glad I'm no longer veg delicious. If only I had thought to line my pockets with ziplocs, I would be enjoying them now, and tomorrow and . . .

Chef had described his pork soup vision to me long ago, and I admit it has occupied my thoughts ever since. The only good thing about our recent cold snap is that these kinds of soups are there to offer comfort. Like pork? Like garlic? Like warm comforting soup? No brainer. And, once our server was distracted, I actually picked up my bowl and finished it off.  I did confess my sin to her later, so I could enjoy my entree. The 'trouble and strife' thoroughly enjoyed his smoked trout salad - so much so that I didn't get any :x.  Lastly he had the tenderloin and I had the Berkshire pork. Since KC Lofts already waxed rhapsodic about the pork, I will focus on the polenta and cavolo nero  that accompanied the porcine holy trinity. I had originally thought to use the phrase "all I can say is wow" but, alas, I was preempted. But that's what I really wanted to say.

Dessert would have proved fatal, so we settled for a coffee and I inadvertently (I swear!) "weasled" some of Arturo's mother's nog in lieu of my preferred digestif (grappa - get some, guys, even if only for me!).

The point of these things is to iron out the wrinkles. Tonight, try as we may, we could find only a few tiny creases, which will undoubtedly be straightened out by gravity and a little time.

Home run, guys. And so glad you're back in the game.  Now just get Beau off his sorry ass and get Manifesto open. In the immortal words of Louden Wainwright (the 2nd, I believe) "drinks before dinner and wine with dinner and after dinner drinks!"
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Was also able to try out the Rieger last night and like moosnsqrl I indulged myself on pork.

Started with the Winter in Buenos Aires, which I was a little scared of at first since it has pureed squash and cinnamon - thought it would be a bit automny/fall spicy but it was amazing and refreshing.  My partner had the Rieger gin/tonic and it didn't disappoint.

For our app we chose the carne crudo which was mouth-watering - chunks of seasoned rare rare rare beef on top of a bed of greens.  I had the pork soup, which was full of pork confit and bits of gruyere...I can still taste it.  The partner had beef tenderloin (perfectly cooked) and I had the crispy Berkshire pork, which I won't describe since my feelings mirror that of moos and lofts.  Next time I'm planning on mixing things up with the butter lettuce salad and KC strip - Howard's steaks are always phenomenal!!

Dessert featured rum cake and creme fraiche chocolate cake.  I would order the rum cake next time, but the choco cake just wasn't my thing - nothing wrong with it, I just prefered the rum cake.

Can't wait for the opening, I'm already planning reservations throughout the next couple of months.  Hope everyone gives this place a try (or two)!!
port fonda
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by port fonda »

the pork soup was unveiled at the cochon 555 event howard did in des moines this past year.  i think if the entire crowd voted on their one, favorite dish of the entire competition, it would have been the pork soup, easily.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

I'm am sooooo stoked for this! Sorry I couldn't make it to the F&F.... :(
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

Having dinner with another couple on Thursday... Will be open?  OpenTable showing Monday as first possible reservation..
On to the Next One
justhoward
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by justhoward »

Its unlikely that we'll get open by Thursday, but we hope to very soon after.  Sorry we can't be more specific, but there are forces beyond our control.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

justhoward wrote: Its unlikely that we'll get open by Thursday, but we hope to very soon after.  Sorry we can't be more specific, but there are forces beyond our control.
That's too bad...Meg and I are going out to check out some places on Thursday...I was hoping Rieger was in the mix!
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Yet another sneak peek from the Pitch:

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2010/12/ ... _hanna.php
KC Kropf
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Kropf »

justhoward wrote: Its unlikely that we'll get open by Thursday, but we hope to very soon after.  Sorry we can't be more specific, but there are forces beyond our control.
No worries.. understand.. will be in as soon as you guys give the word!  Can't wait! 
On to the Next One
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

](*,)  ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

Someone please more clearly explain this "Winter in Buenos Aires" cocktail.  Sounds interesting, to say the least...
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kuslamb wrote: Someone please more clearly explain this "Winter in Buenos Aires" cocktail.  Sounds interesting, to say the least...
my personal favorite from manifesto. i don't recall if it's rum or vodka, but it has a very light flavor... not too sweet, not too overpowering (like me!). the name suits it perfectly.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

kuslamb wrote: Someone please more clearly explain this "Winter in Buenos Aires" cocktail.  Sounds interesting, to say the least...

The Winter in Buenos Aires cocktail was on the original Manifesto menu, and will be back when we reopen.  It won't be on the Rieger menu, though.  We served it a couple nights ago during the friends and family "soft opening" just to preview something from Manifesto.  It was one of the most popular drinks served down there.

It's made with Cachaca, which is from Brazil and is like rum, but instead of being made from molasses or a by-product of sugar, it's distilled from the raw juice of the sugar cane plant.  That gives it a more earthy flavor, sometimes resembling a lighter Tequila.  We mix the Cachaca with fresh lemon juice, homemade honey-cinnamon syrup, and roasted butternut squash puree.  The exact proportions are 1.5 oz Cachaca, 1 oz honey-cinnamon syrup, .75 oz lemon juice, & 1 barspoon butternut squash puree. 

Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice, shake vigorously for 20 seconds to fully emulsify the ingredients, and double-strain into a chilled martini glass or coupe.  Grate a little fresh nutmeg on top. 

The drink sounds heavy and sweet, and I was surprised the first time we tried it, it was really light and refreshing.  It's basically an elaborate spin on a classic Sour.  It's very important to double-strain though, because the squash puree is thick and you want to remove anything that's fibrous or grainy.  It's really a light and delicate, delicious drink. 
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

KC Sporting Life wrote:   ](*,)   ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Another hurdle? Gawd, I hope not!
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

We got the letter of approval from the city, just waiting on the state to issue the license.  It's supposed to be a quick turnaround, but every minute of every day that we're not open is painful right now.....