Zaina

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Zaina

Post by Highlander »

mean wrote: I wasn't implying that, I just have a particular fondness for late night, drunken gyros. The more places I can acquire them, the better.
A fondness that must apparently transcend cultures.  Many of my European evenings involving libations ended at ubiquitous kebab/gyro restaurants across the continent; and from the crowds commonly present, it was a popular way to end an evening. 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Speaking of Doner Kebabs on the Continent: I recall having both a garlic/Tsatziki style sauce on my kebabs as well as some sort of red sauce that was typically spicier. While I've had some pretty good gyros here, I haven't been able to find a place that has the red sauce. Does anyone happen to know what I'm talking about, and if so, where I can find said sauce in KC? Or even a recipe would be fine...

Sorry, this one is out there.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

smh wrote: Speaking of Doner Kebabs on the Continent: I recall having both a garlic/Tsatziki style sauce on my kebabs as well as some sort of red sauce that was typically spicier. While I've had some pretty good gyros here, I haven't been able to find a place that has the red sauce. Does anyone happen to know what I'm talking about, and if so, where I can find said sauce in KC? Or even a recipe would be fine...

Sorry, this one is out there.
the red sauce is harissa.  you can make it yourself or order harissa paste online.  i, too, wish that there was a doner kebab place around that served this spicy sauce. 
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote: the red sauce is harissa.  you can make it yourself or order harissa paste online.  i, too, wish that there was a doner kebab place around that served this spicy sauce. 
Outstanding! Thanks for the info. I've been looking for that sauce for several years.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i also just learned that you can buy tubes of harissa at the "european" store on mass in lawrence.  we had some last night with lamb tagine!  mmm.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: i also just learned that you can buy tubes of harissa at the "european" store on mass in lawrence.  we had some last night with lamb tagine!  mmm.
Au Marche
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

Chicken Shawarma was awesome! loved it
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Tried going here for lunch yesterday but the line was too long.  Was in a rush or else I would have waited.  I don't know how they're doing in the evening, but they are absolutely killing it during lunch. 
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

chrizow wrote: i also just learned that you can buy tubes of harissa at the "european" store on mass in lawrence.  we had some last night with lamb tagine!  mmm.
And, closer to home, Al Habashi.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I have been there a couple times for lunch.  Really good stuff.  And I think I saw they are open late night for the after bar crowd.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

www.zainakc.com

Not much of a site but at least a web presence.  Ran by there tonight and they were open, no customers though....gotta get the word out this place is open in the evenings.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Ate there last Sat afternoon.  Only a few tables of people.  They are quite busy weekdays, usually all/most tables used.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah I think they are doing well but like to reward those places who stay open later....

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

I just went here today for lunch. This place is the shit, y'all.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Agreed. Great owner and food is solid. I try to hit him up at off times to show them love.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Agreed. Great owner and food is solid. I try to hit him up at off times to show them love.
For me it's worth a trip in from Midtown for a quick lunch. I like it better than Olive Cafe.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

I hit it once a week if I can.  If getting a plate, ask for tabbouleh instead of green salad, and mix in rice.  Humus also good, not like peanut butter.  Very zesty eats methinks.  

I don't see the meat cut from a spicket, but the style of cut suggests it is.  They list it as beef but is actually lamb/beef mix - not sure why they do that.  Kinda turns off the purists.

They are from Lebanon BTW.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ignatius wrote: I hit it once a week if I can.  If getting a plate, ask for tabbouleh instead of green salad, and mix in rice.  Humus also good, not like peanut butter.  Very zesty eats methinks.  

I don't see the meat cut from a spicket, but the style of cut suggests it is.  They list it as beef but is actually lamb/beef mix - not sure why they do that.  Kinda turns off the purists.

They are from Lebanon BTW.
Humus is good and I'm not a humus fan. It changed my mind.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

I go about once a week as well. Chicken schwarma is right on every time.  Glad this place replaced cupini's.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

coreyo wrote: Glad this place replaced cupini's.
That's exactly what I was thinking. No offense to Cupini's...