Zaina

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Zaina

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm glad it's downtown but would much rather have cupinis as well.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Gretz
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Gretz »

$.02: I eat here enough that I was briefly the mayor on foursquare a couple of months ago and am never far off.  The combo plates are pretty decent, especially #5/6/7.  As someone who eats Meditteranean for lunch probably more days than not--literally 3-5 days a week--I have to give the nod to Alladin cafe at 39th and Wyoming as easily, hands-down the no-comparison best Med/Middle Eastern option in town after discovering them recently.  The Moroccan cous-cous especially is good though everything I've had there has been easily as good as my favorite item anywhere else.  Holy Land Cafe is my most-frequented place on days I reverse commute out to JoCo at 87th and Monrovia and I def recommend their lunch specials.  Jerusalem cafe is fine but nothing special and way overpriced, IMO.  Habashi's schwarma hummus is a great deal and really two meals. If I had to rank metro-wide I'd say Alladin is in a class by itself, Holy Land second, Habashi and Zaina about a wash, each with a couple of great options but otherwise just ok, Jerusalem cafe a distant last due to overpricing.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

This place continues to be a busy lunch spot. I'll check it out on Fridays and from 11:30-1:00, it is always full with people. Hopefully, they can keep it up. I know it's hard for them to get attention in the evenings from the P&L crowd despite the fact that people walk by it all the time when they park on Walnut. 
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

ignatius wrote: I hit it once a week if I can.  If getting a plate, ask for tabbouleh instead of green salad, and mix in rice.  Humus also good, not like peanut butter.  Very zesty eats methinks. 

I don't see the meat cut from a spicket, but the style of cut suggests it is.  They list it as beef but is actually lamb/beef mix - not sure why they do that.  Kinda turns off the purists.

They are from Lebanon BTW.
I wonder if they saw my post as last time I was there, they now show the rotating spicket of meat.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Are late night hours gone?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think so. Open till 9 I believe.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Gretz wrote: have to give the nod to Alladin cafe at 39th and Wyoming as easily, hands-down the no-comparison best Med/Middle Eastern option in town after discovering them recently.
Alladin and Zaina are good for different reasons.  Zaina tastes zesty, Alladin tastes earthy.  Zaina is counter food, less expensive.  Alladin is sitdown service and more expensive, especially for lunch.  Alladin salad is better quality, Zaina tabbouleh is better - can substitute salad on combo plates for tabbouleh.  Alladin vege options are very good, Zaina meat preparations are generally better.  Both have above average hummus that doesn't taste like peanut butter but Alladin wins for pita. 

Overall, Zaina has a better combo platter variety at a better price with a wake the mouth up zestiness that Alladin severely lacks.  Alladin wins on the vege options with nice earthy tones.  Just my 2 drachmas.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

yelp profiles mideast/mediterranean around kc...

http://www.yelp.com/weekly?editorial_id ... B8c2LeFXvg
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

ignatius wrote: yelp profiles mideast/mediterranean around kc...

http://www.yelp.com/weekly?editorial_id ... B8c2LeFXvg
what up coreyo!
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I had lunch here this week. They had a sign up saying they are moving to 1108 Grand soon. I'll bet the landlord asked for a rent increase and they said, nope, and jumped a couple of blocks. There current spot at 25 E. 12th is a highly visible and foot trafficed spot with a pretty decent interior. I'll be interested to see what follows in that location.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not a far move but more off the beaten path for convention people looking for local ethnic alternative to P&L mainstream eats. Some of the Zaina reviews from visitors pointed out it was only decent counter non-touristy/fast food near convention area. The nature of rising rents in higher foot traffic areas I suppose.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

I love Zaina. I hope everyone who bemoans the lack of restaurants open for dinner in the loop eats there frequently.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I gave this place a couple chances and it seemed decidedly not good. Did I just get unlucky?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I love Zaina.....it isn't as good at dinner due to not as much business so not as fresh meat, etc....but I do eat there at dinner when I can.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I'm a big fan of the place. I usually eat there once a week for lunch- at least.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

There's enough love in this thread that I'll give them another shot after they move.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It's fine, pretty good but nothing outstanding. I like the owner, fun personality, from Jordan. The gyro meat isn't lamb based and not cut off a spit (vertical rotisserie) and plain jane pita not served warm, which knocks off a few legit points that would immediately turn off many foodie purists. Like the shawarma combo platter (ask with tabouli instead of lettuce salad, mix in rice), not as good as a couple other Med places in town but doable. Above avg baklava.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Yea, its not knock your socks off, but a solid lunch staple for me.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

It's a winner if you're downtown in the evening and want something ethnic for dinner that's fast and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to go down to the Boulevard if you want another option in that category. (No really, correct me. I always draw a blank when I'm thinking of dinner options in that category!)
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Eon Blue wrote:It's a winner if you're downtown in the evening and want something ethnic for dinner that's fast and won't cost you an arm and a leg. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to go down to the Boulevard if you want another option in that category. (No really, correct me. I always draw a blank when I'm thinking of dinner options in that category!)
Any of the Vietnamese options in the River Market/Columbus Park would qualify. I guess the SeAsia place is open now on Grand between 16th and Truman. I always forget about it but always enjoy it, but it looks like Taste of Brazil has evening hours.

I really like the chicken shawarma platter at Zaina. I've never been for dinner, so I can't necessarily speak for that.