Zaina

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Zaina

Post by moosnsqrl »

Very excited to hear that they have good, semi-Greek breakfast fare.  Now I just have to get up early enough to take advantage.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

This place is doing a killing and everybody I take there loves it.

Probably would make a great food truck too.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Had it today for the first time. I was was with my girlfriend, they forgot my food and I eventually had to go ask about it. They were very polite and apologetic (it really wasn't a big deal). Beyond that, the food was TREMENDOUS. Very good. Can't wait to go back. The garlic sauce is ridiculous. Luckily I wasn't going to work so I wasn't worried about the after-effects. It's a potent sauce, sooo good.
"It's only when you leave Kansas City do you realize truly how great a city it is. ... If you have to go away, go away for a while. You'll be back. And when you come back, bring your ideas and willingness to make Kansas City the best."- Sly James
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

KCPowercat wrote: This place is doing a killing and everybody I take there loves it.

Probably would make a great food truck too.

I know I've said it before, but it would be awesome if they had a walk-up window on Walnut. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That would be awesome and they could do after bar drunk crowd.

I'm not mentioning it to that grumpy looking owner though :)

geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

The owner actually served me yesterday.  I was at my table pronto with my food.  He even said to holler at him if I needed more pita or yogurt sauce.  He was very friendly and affable.  Several people that came in seemed to know him as well. 

I definitely like Zaina and their fare.  Good eats and not too pricey.  Now if I could just let myself try the baklava.  I wonder if its homemade?  :D
pearcejp
Pad site
Pad site

Post by pearcejp »

Stopped in with the wife yesterday for to grab some dinner to go.  Joe, the owner, took our order.  The guy couldn't have been any nicer.  While we waited he gave us two soft drinks on the house and then proceeded to give me an inch-thick stack of buy one breakfast or dinner, get one free cards to use and pass out to friends, co-workers, etc.  To top it off we thought the food was great, especially the hummus.  Had the the chicken gyro which was quite tasty.  Joe told me to be sure give him some feedback next time I was in.  He was genuinely interested in any input, good or bad, so he can make sure the customer is happy.  Easy guy to root for and I'll certainly make this one of my regular stops.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

pearcejp wrote: Stopped in with the wife yesterday for to grab some dinner to go.  Joe, the owner, took our order.  The guy couldn't have been any nicer.  While we waited he gave us two soft drinks on the house and then proceeded to give me an inch-thick stack of buy one breakfast or dinner, get one free cards to use and pass out to friends, co-workers, etc.  To top it off we thought the food was great, especially the hummus.  Had the the chicken gyro which was quite tasty.  Joe told me to be sure give him some feedback next time I was in.  He was genuinely interested in any input, good or bad, so he can make sure the customer is happy.  Easy guy to root for and I'll certainly make this one of my regular stops.
WHERE'S MY BOGO??  :)
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

Went in on a Saturday. It was empty. In and out pretty quick. Food was tasty. Nothing out of the unusual.  I really don't like the inside layout. It feels constricted which is odd with all the windows. They need to open it open and redo the floors/lighting. Oh and a walk-up window would be awesome.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Went for lunch today.  Very busy.  They've got the order taking down with a girl that writes your order up while in line.  Everyone liked it, one saying more comparable to a good full service place than mall counter food.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Went for Bfast on Saturday.  Only a handful of customers.  Asked the owner which omelette he recommends.. the chicken shawarma with feta.  Was pretty good as were the seasoned potatoes.  Friend liked his omelette and said they scored on the biscuit.

I asked about a spinach/feta/onion omelette.  He said he'd get some spinach.  They are from Lebanon BTW.

Was solid overall.  From all the breakfast places downtown I've tried (bland Fran's, Consentino's, City Diner, US, hotels), this is worth a short trip but is not a destination place from the burbs.  Give it a shot, they could use some Sat business.  M-F lunch crowd is abuzz otherwise.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

lunch was pretty busy. my first time, so i went with the chicken shawarma. the combo would have been too much food. hummus was decent.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Chalkboard sign says open till 4am???

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: Chalkboard sign says open till 4am???
wow. awesome idea. they're basically in P+L so maybe there's hope for that to work.

i love the idea of downtown staying up late.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I want to go get hammered in or around p&l just due to being able to get a drunk gyro afterwards

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Awww... just like in Westport...
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Exactly....can Jerusalem cafe get two food trucks.....that would work too.

One doesn't have to like just downtown or westport....its not an either/or decision.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCPowercat wrote: One doesn't have to like just downtown or westport....its not an either/or decision.
for a lot of people it is. just blame Grinders :lol:
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

KCPowercat wrote:One doesn't have to like just downtown or westport....its not an either/or decision.
I wasn't implying that, I just have a particular fondness for late night, drunken gyros. The more places I can acquire them, the better.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i failed to mention that we originally went looking for the mediterranean food truck that's usually by the courthouse. did it go somewhere else?