Zaina

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Zaina

Post by earthling »

Yeah, the Loop could use more counter ethnic eats, but RM/CP and Xroads/Blvd have plenty of options.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

bobbyhawks wrote: Any of the Vietnamese options in the River Market/Columbus Park would qualify.
As I came out of a high-falutin-spent-a-gazillion-dollar unsatisfying dining establishment over the weekend, I thought "sure wish I had eaten at Vietnam Cafe....".
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Eon Blue wrote:I love Zaina. I hope everyone who bemoans the lack of restaurants open for dinner in the loop eats there frequently.
i prefer table service.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote:It's fine, pretty good but nothing outstanding. I like the owner, fun personality, from Jordan. The gyro meat isn't lamb based and not cut off a spit (vertical rotisserie) and plain jane pita not served warm, which knocks off a few legit points that would immediately turn off many foodie purists. Like the shawarma combo platter (ask with tabouli instead of lettuce salad, mix in rice), not as good as a couple other Med places in town but doable. Above avg baklava.
they have a spit in the back to the right of the cashier.

I mean it's nothing stunning but it delivers a solid meal.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

False alarm, everyone. The reduction in evening hours was temporary for the move. They're going strong until 7:30 in the evenings at their new spot on Grand across from the Ambassador.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Great news... Added retail along grand with an established restaurant and back filled with what I hear is a pretty good chain....
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I thought that was a place that tans hides. That's what we really need downtown.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

crews already in the old zaina space doing work.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I'm not nearby during weekdays often enough to say for sure, but it sure looks like work has ground to a halt in turning the old Zaina location into a Picklemans.

(If memory serves me, they had a "opening this summer" banner up when they started the remodeling work...which has since been removed.)
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Curious, does anyone go to the new Zaina? I used to go to the old one often but I've only been to the new one once, even though it's closer to me.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

Been to the new one quite a few times. The new one is just fine if you liked the old one.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

taxi wrote:Curious, does anyone go to the new Zaina? I used to go to the old one often but I've only been to the new one once, even though it's closer to me.
Yes...I think it's busier now than it was on Walnut. It took them awhile to be found again.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

swid wrote:I'm not nearby during weekdays often enough to say for sure, but it sure looks like work has ground to a halt in turning the old Zaina location into a Picklemans.

(If memory serves me, they had a "opening this summer" banner up when they started the remodeling work...which has since been removed.)
They had not worked on it for awhile from the time they put up the signs....but activity started moving a few weeks ago.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Eon Blue wrote:Been to the new one quite a few times. The new one is just fine if you liked the old one.
I agree. New Zaina is same or better than old zaina. nothing special, but good for the lunch rotation. It did take awhile to get it back on my radar because their new location is not memorable from the outside. One of the things i liked best about the previous location was sitting on a corner with big windows and decent ground level activity outside.
swid wrote:I'm not nearby during weekdays often enough to say for sure, but it sure looks like work has ground to a halt in turning the old Zaina location into a Picklemans.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything that looks like progress at all. part of the advertisement partition blocking out the window has peeled back and it doesn't look like there has been much progress on the interior or any active reno as of about a week ago.