BRGR Kitchen & Bar - Prairie Village

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

BRGR Kitchen & Bar - Prairie Village

Post by KCLofts »

Went to preview the new BRGR Kitchen in PV at Corinth Square the other night.

We didn't get the opportunity to fully sample the food, but what we had was pretty tasty.  Maybe not quite as gourmet as Blanc, but pretty solid.  Unlike Blanc, they have a much wider menu array beyond the burgers.

They have a pretty solid beer selection, most being served in cans.  Some beers were as low as $2 each, with most around $3-$3.50.  The full bar wasn't available so I don't know what all they have on tap, but they were pouring Free State Ad Astra.  There are 4 different groupings of about 6 wine selections each at $6, 8, 10 12 per glass with all selections also available by the bottle.

The space is very comfortable.  The bar area features a large garage door that opens up to a good sized patio.  A fire in the large outdoor fireplace helped to take the nip out of the cool night air.

A nice addition to this area.  Grand opening is March 10.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: BRGR Kitchen & Bar - Prairie Village

Post by KCMax »

I'm impressed with the menu. Will have to check it out soon.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Looks like a nice menu - will have to try it sometime.

Interesting to see a "Jucy Lucy" available. They used to feature that same burger (name and style) at The Foundry - and I really liked it. I don't believe it's on the menu at The Foundry any longer.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Where is this place....I'm in and around Corinth all the time....I've not seen or heard anything about it.
SAC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by SAC »

South side of the main square.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

It's right next the "bird store" in Corinth square.  They did a great job with the space....a beautiful patio, nice artistic touches, very comfortable, and an impressive menu.  

I love Blanc's food, but I have to give it to the BRGR guys for taking it to another level.  Where Blanc is minimal in its design, BRGR is full of character and warmth.  Where Blanc is totally burger-centric in their menu, BRGR has really gone outside the burger realm.  It's really an ambitious project all-around.  

I don't make it to PV often, and my girlfriend and I were hitting the Blanc in Westport about once a month, but I think we'll definitely give this place a chance.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

WSPanic wrote:Interesting to see a "Jucy Lucy" available. They used to feature that same burger (name and style) at The Foundry - and I really liked it. I don't believe it's on the menu at The Foundry any longer.
Interesting, considering the Jucy Lucy is a Minnesota thing and The Foundry / McCoy's people operate in Minneapolis, too. Wonder what the BRGR connection is. Blanc's inside-out burger is pretty similar, too.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i liked foundry's jucy lucy.  too bad it's not on the menu anymore.  it was made with mcgonigle's beef!  mmm.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Checked it out over the weekend. The space itself is spacious and very sleek. I look forward to using the patio when its warmer.

My biggest gripe was that I was really jonesing for a burger and I walked in at 11:15, not unheard of for lunch time. Only they told me they don't serve burgers til noon on weekends, because they have a brunch menu til then. To make it worse, just after I ordered, around 11:30, the table next to me got to order a round of burgers. I don't know why they'd want to not sell their signature items?

Anyway, brunch turned out to be just okay - I got the hash. It was fine, although a bit bland. Coulda used some seasoning and/or more veggies. It was basically potatoes, some nice cured bacon thrown in and some chopped up burgers (I presume leftovers from last night) with some eggs on top. The products were high quality, but overall, it didn't knock my socks off taste-wise.

The prices are more than reasonable and I'm eager to try the burgers, so I'll definitely come back for more. The service (aside from not serving me a burger) was excellent, and it seemed like she really wanted feedback for how they could improve service in the future.

droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

KCMax wrote: The service (aside from not serving me a burger) was excellent, and it seemed like she really wanted feedback for how they could improve service in the future.
I hope you replied by saying they should serve burgers from open to close, everyday, at their restaurant named BRGR.  Seems like a no brainer. 

I'm looking forward to trying this place out and hope it makes my rotation.  Glad to hear service was attentive, even if unflexible.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Got to finally try the burgers. Very good, not great. A far cry from Blanc, but a big step up from a burger you can get at most places. The burger itself was very well executed. My wife didn't care for her chili burger as much (the bread was inadequate for the sogginess of the chili). The sweet potato fries were a bit overdone. But overall not a bad meal at all. I do like the extensive menu though and I'll want to try some of the other burgers and dishes.

Really cool atmosphere though, particularly the patio, and the service once again was excellent. The place was pretty crowded for a mid-day lunch.

elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

Our family of 5 had dinner at BRGR last night - cannot say a bad thing about this place.  It was busy, they handled it all very well.  Service was excellent.  Food was great.  I had the Juicy Lucy - it was messy but good.  Hubs had the vegetarian lentil burger - also good.  We shared fries which were perfect.  Mac and cheese is homemade - not kraft (which the 4 year old did not appreciate!).  The thing I'm most impressed with are the prices.  5 of us at, hubs and I had 2 beers a piece and it was was $53.  And the burgers are HUGE - big enough to split.  I just didn't want to split a lentil burger  :lol:  Also, their menu is much larger than Blanc - don't think it's really in the same category as Blanc. Plenty of vegetarian options, salads, chicken sandwiches and more.  MUCH more family friendly.  Each kid gets a chalkboard to use during dinner - brilliant!  We will go back. Often. 
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

elonalum wrote: Our family of 5 had dinner at BRGR last night - cannot say a bad thing about this place.  It was busy, they handled it all very well.  Service was excellent.  Food was great.  I had the Juicy Lucy - it was messy but good.  Hubs had the vegetarian lentil burger - also good.  We shared fries which were perfect.  Mac and cheese is homemade - not kraft (which the 4 year old did not appreciate!).  The thing I'm most impressed with are the prices.  5 of us at, hubs and I had 2 beers a piece and it was was $53.  And the burgers are HUGE - big enough to split.  I just didn't want to split a lentil burger  :lol:  Also, their menu is much larger than Blanc - don't think it's really in the same category as Blanc. Plenty of vegetarian options, salads, chicken sandwiches and more.   MUCH more family friendly.  Each kid gets a chalkboard to use during dinner - brilliant!  We will go back. Often. 
Pretty much agree with all of this. My only knock would be the homemade ketchup is a bust.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Agree on the ketchup.

zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by zonk »

Nice review....same comments.  Juicy Lucy...yummy!  Great service, but homemade ketchup sucks!  Also wasn't impressed by the truffle fries.  But i'll be going back.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

being from Pittsburgh, home of Heinz, i am surprised to say i didn't mind the ketchup. would prefer Heinz. better than Hunts. 
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

I tried this place once. I was utterly unimpressed and won't be back.

Is Prairie Village 105% white or does it just feel that way?
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

if you tried it when they first opened, i'd suggest giving it another shot. 

i don't know the exact racial make-up of PV but i can guarantee it's not 105% anything. 
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

I believe they serve 100% black angus burgers.  8)
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

I still need to get to this place eventually, simply for the correct pretzel bun being used for their brats. Now if they had the same potato salad I had up in Milwaukee, oh boy.