Christopher Elbow Ice Cream

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Christopher Elbow Ice Cream

Post by NDTeve »

went last night...also a line out the door...had the lemon custard and cinnamon...delicious and packed. My wife and I will go back.  8)
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

My wife went the other night while i was working and got a bunch of flavors to go....needless to say the in-laws came over and snarfed them all.... #-o
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Jill ja wrote: My wife went the other night while i was working and got a bunch of flavors to go....needless to say the in-laws came over and snarfed them all.... #-o
The Blue Bunny is for the in-laws. Christopher Elbow is not.  :)
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
LaurenKU
Pad site
Pad site

Post by LaurenKU »

My husband and I went last night.  When we got there, the line was barely contained within the store, and by the time we got our ice cream, there were probably 20 people in line outside the store.  We shared two smalls, so we got four flavors (I love being able to taste several kinds):

Goat Cheese with Cherry
Strawberry Balsamic
Lemon Curd with Blueberries
Pineapple Cilantro Sorbet

Four of my top ten favorite tastes in the world were represented here - goat cheese, balsamic vinegar, pineapple and cilantro, so that was very exciting.

The goat cheese/cherry, had just a very faint goat cheese flavor.  I thought it could have been a LITTLE stronger without being weird.  The strawberry balsamic was very good - my husband's favorite (I barely got to taste it).  Lemon curd/blueberry - good, but not incredibly memorable.

Pineapple Cilantro Sorbet...OMG.  This was meant for me...delicious.  Very intense flavors and I really, really loved it.

Supposedly they're coming out with a honey goat cheese flavor soon.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we were walking around the plaza this morning and decided to walk down to glace to hit it right when it opened at noon -- no line!

i had goat cheese and honey and fleur de sel (they recommended the latter as a good pairing). my friend had the lime and basil sherbet, which had a overpowering tartness.

i love the space, too.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

DaveKCMO wrote:
i had goat cheese and honey and fleur de sel (they recommended the latter as a good pairing). my friend had the lime and basil sherbet, which had a overpowering tartness.
Agreed on the lime & basil... at first. After a few bites it became outright delicious, though.

When I checked this place out, the line spiraled around the inside of the store, almost twice! Fun to listen to the comments of people waiting in line... "Goat cheese ice cream? UGH!" "Corn-flavored? I don't think so..." "Cilantro in sorbet? No way Jose!" etc etc etc.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Stopped by yesterday to get some pints to go.  Got Venezuelan Cinnamon and Caramelized Peach.  We had the in-laws for dinner and for dessert I grilled some mangos and topped the ice-cream with them.  Was really good, but don't char the mangoes, just get them warm and tender.  Also, Smokey Hill raspberry wine from Salina goes good with this dessert.

The ice-cream is fantastic.  I especially loved the peach one.  But I've always been a fan of cinnamon as well and look forward to fall when the grocery stores start carrying it.

rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I've made it in to Glace twice in the last week or so...I just love this stuff, easily as good as advertised.  I've tried the vietnamese cinnamon, goat cheese with honey, pb&j, praline hazelnut and venezuelan spiced dark chocolate.  All were delicious, though I was most impressed with the subtle goat cheese flavor in that ice cream and the addictiveness of the simple vietnamese cinnamon.

The most important thing, for me, is that the thick, creamy texture of homemade ice cream is present in Glace's treats.  They are rich and gooey, just great.  I too love the look of the tiny storefront though do find it very surprising that Christopher Elbow has no brand representation anywhere in the store (that I noticed, and I was looking).

I walked to Glace on both occasions from Southmoreland and found the friendly neighborhood vibe excitement of the (many) customers charming.  A great addition to the neighborhood!
are we spinning free?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

rxlexi wrote: I've made it in to Glace twice in the last week or so...I just love this stuff, easily as good as advertised.  I've tried the vietnamese cinnamon, goat cheese with honey, pb&j, praline hazelnut and venezuelan spiced dark chocolate.  All were delicious, though I was most impressed with the subtle goat cheese flavor in that ice cream and the addictiveness of the simple vietnamese cinnamon.

The most important thing, for me, is that the thick, creamy texture of homemade ice cream is present in Glace's treats.  They are rich and gooey, just great.  I too love the look of the tiny storefront though do find it very surprising that Christopher Elbow has no brand representation anywhere in the store (that I noticed, and I was looking).

I walked to Glace on both occasions from Southmoreland and found the friendly neighborhood vibe excitement of the (many) customers charming.  A great addition to the neighborhood!
maybe he sees them as completely separate brands? Glace is going to be much bigger than CE chocolates anyway...
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

trailerkid wrote: maybe he sees them as completely separate brands? Glace is going to be much bigger than CE chocolates anyway...
Is he planning additional shops?

CE chocolates does pretty good business over the internet.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

trailerkid wrote: maybe he sees them as completely separate brands? Glace is going to be much bigger than CE chocolates anyway...
I read somewhere (can't remember for the life of me - maybe on this forum?) that CE tried ice cream to make up for chocolate sales lagging during the summer months.  Ice cream was a way to have more consistent sales year-round.

I can't wait to try out Glace and am excited that they opted for an 'urban' location for their first store, instead of opening something in JoCo, Briarcliff or Zona Rosa.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mudjack wrote: Is he planning additional shops?

CE chocolates does pretty good business over the internet.
i'm guessing this place is probably already more successful than anticipated. i could easily see it becoming a regional/national chain.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

trailerkid wrote: i'm guessing this place is probably already more successful than anticipated. i could easily see it becoming a regional/national chain.
The one time I've been there, CE was in the house. I'm sure he isn't there all the time, but it's nice for him to be able to pop in to check on quality control, etc. That would be harder to do as he expands.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

trailerkid wrote: i'm guessing this place is probably already more successful than anticipated. i could easily see it becoming a regional/national chain.
Has to be...live right by there and always a line out the door...this little strip has been great for the neighborhood...now if we could only get rid of the CVS.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

That area is go great, the community garden looks amazing as well. How fabulous to live near enough to walk to that area and the Plaza!
Every time I've been by glace it has been packed.  I might try to sneak in there tonight to check it out.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

NDTeve wrote: Has to be...live right by there and always a line out the door...this little strip has been great for the neighborhood...now if we could only get rid of the CVS.
YES. Do away with any other necessary neighborhood amenities. More ice cream, pizza, and chocolatiers!
ulterior epicure
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ulterior epicure »

I tried 8 (maybe 9) different flavors.  I liked them all.  Very much.  Elbow FTW.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i dont understand the hate for the 51/Main CVS.  i've never used it for prescriptions, but i've found the store to be like any other i've been to.  i usually go to the 45/troost or 39/main stores, which are also both fine (the troost store has a pretty clutch beer/liquor selection as well).

the 51/Main area is really one of KC's more complete neighborhoods.  post office, library, bank, dry cleaner, drugstore, nice collection of bars and restaurants, etc. all in a three-block area.  lots of different housing options as well - very cheap UMKC apartments/townhouses, luxury homes, condos, fixer-uppers, you name it.  MAX stop.  very close to Loose Park.  what's not to love, really?  add a trader joes and/or whole foods, and you have a buppie paradise.  :)
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

trailerkid wrote: YES. Do away with any other necessary neighborhood amenities. More ice cream, pizza, and chocolatiers!
Not what I was saying. Not that you care. If we could spruce that up into a neighborhood market...then we'd be talking.

Trailerkid...from your posts and threads on this board...I kind of get the impression that your life is miserable. So negative about everything. I feel sorry for you.  :(
- Mark Twain
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

chrizow wrote: the 51/Main area is really one of KC's more complete neighborhoods.  post office, library, bank, dry cleaner, drugstore, nice collection of bars and restaurants, etc. all in a three-block area.  lots of different housing options as well - very cheap UMKC apartments/townhouses, luxury homes, condos, fixer-uppers, you name it.  MAX stop.  very close to Loose Park.  what's not to love, really?  add a trader joes and/or whole foods, and you have a buppie paradise.   :)
I had to look up buppie.  Guess I don't qualify, but we very nearly bought a house on 49th and Walnut when we moved to town.  Even before the new strip, I was totally sold on that area as a great family-friendly city neighborhood.