Prime Rib Grill

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Prime Rib Grill

Post by hawkgolfer »

I saw this earlier today driving to work.  This is in the old Paddy O's/Hollywood Room spot.  Will be interested to see if it makes it or not. 

http://primeribgrill.com/
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Prime Rib Grill

Post by lock+load »

I wonder why they didn't just reopen Hereford House there.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

The menu screams "Comfort Food" with fair prices.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

lock+load wrote: I wonder why they didn't just reopen Hereford House there.
Just a thought but maybe they want the hotel / business crowd to go to Pierponts while their regular Hereford house customers are already well served in the burbs.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Huge price point differential between Pierponts and Hereford House.  I could imagine for example all the Catholic kids in town this week going to Hereford House, but not Pierponts.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

I wouldn't say "huge" price point difference if you compare apples to apples (er, beef to beef) - the filets are `$2 different, the strip ~$4.  But, true, they don't have the high-end 'oscar'-like entrees.  I would still be surprised to see many catholic youth there (unless they're stealing from the collection plate;-)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Hereford Prime Rib re-opens after closing due to an incorrect permit.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/stor ... 62-p2.html
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCMax wrote: Hereford Prime Rib re-opens after closing due to an incorrect permit.

http://www.kansascity.com/business/stor ... 62-p2.html
Wow, that's a dumb mistake by an experienced restaurant operation.  Has anyone actually tried this place?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

We went here a week ago to celebrate birthdays (mine and dad's).  Other than a somewhat overly attentive and chatty server, we were all very pleased with everything.  Quite impressed actually.

The space is alright if a bit awkward feeling.  They spruced it up and made made it a bit industrial with huge pegboard type panels of rusty brown sheet metal above the bar.  There were lights behind the sheet metal that cast a glow over the bar area.  The pictures were mostly cowboy prints, John Wayne, etc.  There was a large projector which showed still images of cowboy scenes and farms. 

Three of us ordered blackened prime rib and one ordered a pasta.  The prime rib was fantastic.  Very juicy and flavorful.  Prime rib is not known to be the leanest of meats and theirs was about the same as anywhere else I've had.  It came with a good quality salad (darker greens, not the rooty white part of the lettuce) and a side.  I had mac and cheese for my side which came baked in it's own little boat with a chewy layer of cheese on top.  We were all extremely pleased.

The deserts were great.  My dad and I got ours free (and got to pick off the regular menu!!!  Too damn many placed give you some double chocolate cake crap).  We both picked the pecan pie with bourbon caramel sauce and butter brickle ice cream.  It was AWESOME.  Mom had apple strudel and it was average.  Wife had chocolate mousse and was one of the top 5 dessert presentations I've seen in KC.  It seriously must have taken them 10 minutes to do the sauce drizzle around this mousse.

As said earlier, our waitress was so excited to have a table that she was over checking on us constantly.  She had the whole restaurant - all 2 other tables worth.  It was a Saturday but roads were really bad keeping a lot of people in.  But it's also not well advertised and I'll doubt many know it's there.  Nonetheless, I think it will be discovered.  We all thought it was better than Hereford House was. 
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Huge full color "awning panels" are going up over the frontage windows.  They don't stick out much from the building, clearly more for advertising than for weather protection.  Are they subject to signing restrictions on this road?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Are they subject to signing restrictions on this road?
nothing out of the ordinary, i'd guess. neither 20th or walnut are under the purview of parks and rec.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I saw those going up today, they did a nice job of dressing up that very odd building front.

I understand the movement a block east, but why change the name?  Seems that would lose people who might not be familiar with the "prime grille" name?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I thinnk Rod wants to rebuild the Hereford house at some point when the old one plus the Midwest Hotel is torn down and a new hotel takes the place on that corner,
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

we got take-out from there last night. it was pretty good, perhaps a notch above the old HH. they really did a good job making you forget paddy o'quigley's ever occupied that space (which is a blessing). it's warm and slightly modern.

true to the name, there are at least 10 varieties of prime rib on the menu. we skipped beef and had caesar salad (very good), coconut chicken strips (decent with a very interesting dipping sauce), french onion soup (excellent), and the butternut squash ravioli (very good). there were quite a few tables occupied, so it looks like they've been getting the word out.
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

Can't wait to try this place.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

they've installed a massive awning facing 20th street, a gutsy improvement. i am again astonished at how they've been able to repurpose this odd space. really goes to show you why it's important to support business owners who actually know what they're doing (versus the previous tenants).
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

They were the previous tennants, it was a banquet space for Hereford House.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I think he meant paddy o quigley's
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Anderson Restaurant Group has owned the space for a long time, it housed their catering company and the Hollywood Room.  They leased out the front to Paddy O's about 2 years ago.  It was a joke, and never worked.

However, having been to the new Prime Rib Grill and not expecting much after seeing the Paddy O's space, I think they did a great job.  I didn't think it felt that awkward, and I think they probably called it the Prime Rib Grill instead of HH because of the space.  It just has a smaller layout that's dominated by a large bar.  But it was comfortable and the decor flowed nicely, screaming the Hereford House brand.  And most importantly the food was good.  I hope they do well, I'll be back.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I had guests from California who pleaded for me to take them to Hereford House for their KC Strip craving, and almost cried when I showed them the remains.  Took them to Zona Rosa.  They enjoyed the food but long for the tackiness of the place on Main.  To them that tackiness was what gave the place authenticity and local color, something that could never be matched elsewhere.