YJ's Snack Bar

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
Roanoker
Penntower
Penntower

YJ's Snack Bar

Post by Roanoker »

I just now saw a show on the Food Channel where YJ's Snack Bar in Kansas City was featured. I searched the Forum here and didn't find anything about it. The food-show host (the one with the spiky white hair) thought it was super great. I found this site:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/yjs-snack-bar-kansas-city

The address given was 128 W 18th St. Surely someone among those who frequent KCRag has been there. Did you like it?
“Give up money, give up fame, give up science, give the earth itself and all it contains rather than do an immoral act.” —Thomas Jefferson (1785)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: YJ's Snack Bar

Post by DaveKCMO »

inexcusably cramped, but "charming". i believe there's a dress code that stipulates customers must wear something from thrift store. i rarely go there, despite the fact that it's always open and only a block away. when i have sampled the severely limited and revolving menu, it was cheap ($5) and decent.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

I love YJ's. Decent (Broadway) coffee, good food, nice and cheap, open 24 hours Thurs, Fri, and Sat, plus they've been in that location for a very, very long time. I and many friends go several times a week. Highly recommended and quirky place.

There must already be a thread about YJs... buried somewhere in here...
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

yj's is a gem.  i've never seen another place like it.  the food is good (and sometimes very good).  the coffee is good.  the employees are sweaty and arty.  the space is as cramped as a phone booth - and they host live music even when the band occupies 90% of the interior of the joint.  it is open 24 hours (Fri-Sun) when almost no other place in KC is.  it is one of only a handful of Crossroads businesses where one can feel the vibe of the early days of the re-emergent neighborhood, forever detached from the "gentrified" area the crossroads has become.  even with $300,000 condos across the street, yj's somehow remains all of its cozy edge. 

incredibly, i still have not eaten breakfast at yj's though.  need to change that asap.
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

They've once coined themselves as a '3rd world snack bar'.  Just got back from Guatemala/Belize a couple weeks ago - if they're not 3rd world, they're 4th world (or offworld) as there's probably nothing like that concept anywhere.  It defines what Xroads started out to be and still hangs on to its quirky roots despite the gentrification.

Tosspot has some great pics in the pic forum.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Slowest place I have ever eaten, workers there work at a different pace.  The food is usually really good though and the place is unique and quaint. 
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

I love it.  Always stop in there on any trip home.  Their coffee is great...never eat the food though.  One of those Yelp reviews might be mine.
snarf
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snarf »

Love YJ's!  After a night out, it's great to walk there and have breakfast at 3 AM... and it's soooo good.  The people are gritty, grundgy and interesting... it's such a Crossroads type place... It's wonderful!
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I've been meaning to get there, but inexplicably haven't made it yet.  I'll have to remedy that, I always think it seems like my kinda place, from what I read.
gomer900
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by gomer900 »

YJ's is definitely in a class by itself.  I can't say that I have ever been anywhere like it.  I didn't exactly come away with that WOW impression, it was more of a "huh, that was wierd" feeling.  Still makes me curious when I walk by to poke my head in and see what is going on...
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

I've heard you have to hang out there all day and eat three meals before you can gain the respect of YJ regulars...  I think I've mentioned this somewhere else on the forum...  Do they still have one option for each meal???
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

The breakfast sandwich has saved my life before
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
wetpaint
Pad site
Pad site

Post by wetpaint »

When I worked in the Crossroads, YJs was a good antidote to the continuing yuppification of the area. I haven't been down there in ages.

When I worked there I was eager for the area to develop and be discovered. Now I miss its charm.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

LindseyLohan wrote: I've heard you have to hang out there all day and eat three meals before you can gain the respect of YJ regulars... 
Gee, I guess I never felt the need to get the respect of some regulars at any eating establishment.  I’m a regular at a lot of places, but never looked down or whatever at anyone that came in.  It reminds me of going into some small town bar and everyone stops to look at you when you walk in the door.  Almost like out of a movie scene. 
“I reckon he not from around these parts”
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

LindseyLohan wrote: I've heard you have to hang out there all day and eat three meals before you can gain the respect of YJ regulars...
Inferiority complex?
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

went after a first friday with my wife and her friend, and they were luke warm on it, i loved the biscuits and gravy
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Hipster heaven.  But "normal" people are generally allowed entry.

Amazing what the workers there can put out on a hotplate and an electric skillet.

Other than wishing the owner an anger management course (I love him anyway) I wouldn't change a thing.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Just because the folks there seem indifferent doesn't mean that you aren't welcome. That is part of the charm of "hipster service" and fits in with the overall feel of YJ's. I love the place. Nothing like staying up all night and sitting outside eating a breakfast sandwich while the sun starts to rise. These places are a critical part of a real vibrant city.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Yeah, the whole 'not feeling welcome' thing sound like *you* feeling too self-conscious.  I don't usually look much like a hipster, but I have never felt like I wasn't welcome.  When I go w/ my neighbor he always feels like he doesn't belong.  It's all your personal perception.  (Unless someone has a specific example of something that has happened to them there)
LindseyLohan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by LindseyLohan »

Midtownkid wrote: Yeah, the whole 'not feeling welcome' thing sound like *you* feeling too self-conscious.  I don't usually look much like a hipster, but I have never felt like I wasn't welcome.  When I go w/ my neighbor he always feels like he doesn't belong.  It's all your personal perception.  (Unless someone has a specific example of something that has happened to them there)
Never said and never experienced "not feeling welcome". I've only been there a few times. More less pointing out; there must be some people who sit there for 12 hours at a time.

Don't really go there because I like to have a menu to choose from when I eat out. Not downing the place, I'm just a picky eater. If they happen to be serving catfish nuggets, I leave hungry.