favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

Post by StL_Dan »

earthling wrote:Yes, Jarocho Pescados Y Mariscos at 7th/KS Ave is a gem, though I've only been for lunch - fish tacos.
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/def951_5 ... 965825.pdf
Fish tacos....OH yes....adding this place to my list.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Carniceria la Siete - Its a grocery store and a restaurant. They have some excellent street tacos for a buck, they also do grilled whole Chickens for $6.99 for a full bird like at El Pollo Rey but they are like half the price. They also do grilled steak by the pound. Its a hidden gem in KCK
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't remember if it's been mentioned here, but I've been enjoying California Taco Shop pretty frequently these days. Definitely reminds me of Mexican I've had in San Diego. Pretty good stuff. Not really an "onion and cilantro" street taco type place, more along the lines of a Pancho's, but solid and tasty.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

This thread is dope.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

kcjak wrote:Has anyone ever gone to Jarocho's seafood?
Love this place (the KCK one). You're right -- it doesn't look like much from the outside, but there's very high quality food inside, reasonably priced. There's a lot of interesting stuff you won't find anywhere else in town. And watch for dollar oyster night!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Has anyone mentioned Taqueria Silvia's?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

beautyfromashes wrote:Has anyone mentioned Taqueria Silvia's?
Is that the food truck around 18th & Cleveland? I like their tacos quite a bit - they do $1 tacos on Tue - includes tax. They're a little on the small side, but good carnitas and pastor.

My personal Top 10 street tacos in KC are below - although, I'm sure there are dozens of places I haven't tried. And my spelling may be off on some of these.

1. San Antonio Market (either location)
2. Bichelmeyers (Saturdays only)
3. Bonita Michoacan
4. El Camino Real
5. Taqueria Silvia (food truck on 18th)
6. Tacos El Gallo (Blvd next door to Rico's)
7. Tacos El Guero (St Johns east of Topping)
8. Rico's Taco Lupe (although, their Burrito Thursday special is a better deal than Taco Tuesday)
9. Sabor Central Americano (they have papusas that are good as well)
10. Cancun Fiesta Fresh
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Does El Camino Real still roll the tortilla through press and slap on grill on order? I haven't been in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bVCsBijFHA
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

They did the last time I was there, same process with the lady rolling masa and grilling them up, but that was a while ago. Not sure why they'd mess with success, but I suppose that probably isn't the most efficient process.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

StL_Dan wrote:
earthling wrote:Yes, Jarocho Pescados Y Mariscos at 7th/KS Ave is a gem, though I've only been for lunch - fish tacos.
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/def951_5 ... 965825.pdf
Fish tacos....OH yes....adding this place to my list.
Went today. Excelent.
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Re: favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas ci

Post by AlbertHammond »

WSPanic wrote:
kansas wrote:Ooh, forgot - for JoCo residents this is important! El Fogon Deli Taqueria, 10450 Metcalf. It's great, the quesadillas are awesome, tacos are good. the tortillas are fresh, not 100% sure they make them to order but they tasted like it. Saw several people chowing into huge yummy looking tortas. The carne asada taco I had this last sunday was a high quality specimen, the el pastor was good. Are the el pastor tacos as good as El Camino Real? No. Are they great, especially considering that they are $1.50 and located at 104th & metcalf? YES.

Edit: Tortillas are not made there. Still good though, and still at 104th and metcalf :)
Edit: This is now open - El Fogon in Imo's old spot in Westport....

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 09129.html
I have been to El Fogon in Westport a few times now and I am hooked. I love the rice. The salsas on the salsa bar are excellent and they are fast for carry out.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Agree...El Fogon has been a great addition. The El Volcan is a great meal for 10.99. Great beans & rice.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Any new opinions on best Mexican in the downtown area?

I'm still struggling to pick out a regular place. Restaurants but also anything taqueria style.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Ponaks and Los tules are my go tos.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

If you want your food like 5 minutes after you order, Los Tules has perfected the quick meal due to its proximity to the Performing Arts Center, and it is reliably consistent. I've always been partial to Taqueria Mexico for no terrific reason (I generally go to the older location, but the Kansas location is a bit better run). For street tacos and cheap eats, WSPanics list above is still a great resource (I'd add El Torito). Of new note, Mission Taco Joint was terrible the only time I tried it, and Kansas City Taco Joint was pretty solid but not amazing. I also recently got to try Jarocho for the first time, and it lived up to the hype.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I think Rico's has the best street tacos downtown. And $2 burritos on Thursday are the best/cheapest lunch deal around, IMO. I think they're only $3 normally.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

i really like rico's and i really hate driving but KCK is so close and the options over there are so good i hardly ever eat tacos downtown (at least, downtown KCMO). san antonio and camino real are perfect.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I don't find much downtown that is better than average. However Los Alamos on Summit has great food, especially breakfast. It's a little rough around the edges, but the red (spicy) and green (mild) pork is amazing. On the Blvd, the only place that stands out is El Patron, but if you want margaritas from a juice machine and white girl tacos then just about every other place is interchangeable.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Los Alamos is great....Rico's I hear is the place for tacos but I've never caught them open.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I am big fan of outdoor wood fired grill places you can find all over KCK, there is just something so unique about them, it feels like you are in another country.
One of our go to spots for this type of food is La CARNICERIA Grocery Store, they cook a Carne Asada, Pollo and I believe some kind of Pork on the outdoor grills.

For mothers day we planned on hitting up La CARNICERIA but at noon they were not cooking yet so luckily we were able to drive around and find the Rio Bravo grocery store and they were doing full pollo asado with a side of Tortillas, Corn and Peppers for 10 bucks. I am glad we found it, i think we liked it better than La Carniceria. We don't even really go to El Pollo Rey anymore, its pretty expensive compared to the other places in KCK and I have found it to be super salty.