favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
dwells
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Re: favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

Post by dwells »

A good one is Laura's on Central Ave in KCK, the El Camino Real as the other poster indicated is awesome, if you're Caucasian you will have a new understanding of the word gringo when you walk in there. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

My newest, favoritest under-the-radar Mexican place is the Esmeralda's taco wagon, which is always parked in front of the Oasis dance club on SW Blvd, late night on the weekend.  Really good carne asada and carnitas tacos, green and red salsa, and pretty good rice and beans on the platillos. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

AJoD wrote: Third for Camino Real, and specifically for their tacos al pastor.  Terrific.
whoa, we finally made it to el camino real last night and it was off the charts awesome.  the tacos al pastor were the best i've ever had.  well-seasoned, with lots of soft as well as crispy bits that gave the meat a bacon-y flavor.  the house salsa was quite spicy and tasty as well.  the clincher is that tacos al pastor were $1 each last night.  this is our go-to place from now on.  
Last edited by chrizow on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

chrizow wrote: the clincher is that tacos al pastor were $1 each last night.
Yeah, Wednesday is dollar taco day, all day long.  It's hard not to overeat there on Wednesdays.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

We actually refer to the al pastor at El Camino as "holy pork". It's that good.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

I have got to try El Camino Real. I don't know why I haven't before. Is this place truly authentic?

A quick Google search reveals they have possibly 2 other locations, Armourdale and a South Plaza/UMKC area location? 110 E 51st?

Edit: it appears the E 51st El Camino Real is an apartment complex.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The Armourdale location is legit.

It's pretty authentic, as far as "authentic" goes. The tacos al pastor are pretty much what you'd get if you went to Mexico City tomorrow and ordered them, which is to say, a corn tortilla hot off the cast iron with a bunch of delicious seasoned pork and a touch of pineapple on top. Onions, cilantro, pico de gallo, lime, etc are provided as condiments for you to add as you please.

They aren't exactly the kind of tacos most Americans are familiar with, but they're 1000 times better. And for the price, you simply can not beat them.

For a somewhat more Americanized El Camino experience, try the alambres al pastor con todo...it's basically tacos al pastor except with cheese and bacon, you make them yourself, and you get rice and beans. Sort of like pork fajitas, I guess.
Last edited by mean on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chrizow wrote:the tacos al pastor were the best i've ever had.  
Seconded. I have tried tacos al pastor at just about every Mexican restaurant in town, and El Camino makes them all look like chumps. They do it right, with the gyro-style spit and all, instead of just marinating the pork and throwing it on a flat grill to order (cough, Taqueria Mexico).
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Is there anyone here who gets to Topeka regularly (PumpkinStalker?) that his tried Carniceria Camecuaro?  This guy says the al pastor is way better than El Camino Real, which I have a hard time believing, but I'm almost tempted to drive out there and give it a shot.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

AJoD wrote: Is there anyone here who gets to Topeka regularly (PumpkinStalker?) that his tried Carniceria Camecuaro?  This guy says the al pastor is way better than El Camino Real, which I have a hard time believing, but I'm almost tempted to drive out there and give it a shot.
Nope!  I'll ask the fiancee if they've ever tried it.  I haven't found many good non-chain restaurants when I'm out there, so I'll hunt it down.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Went to El Camino Real last nite.  "Por favore, dos tacos pastor por dos con arroz y frijoles."

Thanks guys.  Awesome, awesome flavor.  However, no pico de gallo was served with the food.  Order separately?

Saw other customers enjoying gorditas, tortas, and a whole fried fish.  All looked scrumptuous and smelled marvelous.

Simple dive setting, with genuine attention to FOOD.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

loftguy wrote: Went to El Camino Real last nite.  "Por favore, dos tacos pastor por dos con arroz y frijoles."

Thanks guys.  Awesome, awesome flavor.  However, no pico de gallo was served with the food.  Order separately?

Saw other customers enjoying gorditas, tortas, and a whole fried fish.  All looked scrumptuous and smelled marvelous.

Simple dive setting, with genuine attention to FOOD.
Though I have gotten pico on a random evening, it seems like it is only served with lunch as a rule.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

AJoD wrote: Is there anyone here who gets to Topeka regularly (PumpkinStalker?) that his tried Carniceria Camecuaro?  This guy says the al pastor is way better than El Camino Real, which I have a hard time believing, but I'm almost tempted to drive out there and give it a shot.
Damn. If it's that good, it's definitely worth the drive.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

El Michoacan on Independence, between Gladstone and Benton. Outstanding Mexican food. I can't wait to go again.

Also, almost any van on Independence Ave or SW Blvd, if you can find one, has food that puts almost all the places mentioned to shame.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

bahua wrote: Also, almost any van on Independence Ave or SW Blvd, if you can find one, has food that puts almost all the places mentioned to shame.
i assume you aren't just limiting this to vans actually selling mexican food for profit.  i'd like to think that 100% of vans on independence ave or sw blvd contain delicious vittles therein.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

hahahaha. You might not be after food, but you'll get it!
jdubwaldo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jdubwaldo »

WOW!  As usual, the group here has some great recommendations.  My hubby and I tried El Camino Real on Friday night, and it was awesome!  We split a bunch of stuff, the tacos al pastor, tacos al carbon were excellent.  I can't wait to go back!!!  I'm getting hungry just thinking about it......
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Not really strict Mexican, but El Pollo Rey at 1101 Kansas Ave makes a mean grilled chicken.  You pretty much either get a half or whole grilled chicken served with tortillas, rice and beans.

Ability to converse in Spanish is a definite plus.  When going down Kansas Ave, look for the building with all of the smoke billowing out the side.
ThaMexican
New York Life
New York Life

Post by ThaMexican »

Try Tacos on Wheels, located on 10th St south of Central St and north of I-70 great tacos and sandwiches. For fruit juices and popsicle try Paleteria Michoacana on the corner Central St and 13th St, pretty good place.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

To circle back, the fiance had not heard of this place.  We'll try it sometime when we're out that way.