favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

Post by chrizow »

http://www.pitch.com/2011-03-24/restaur ... tha-senda/

has anyone been to chapala, at truman and hardesty?  sounds tasty.  i am not as plugged in to the old NE as i want to be, but it seems like old NE's mexican food scene rivals SW Blvd and KCK these days...
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Old NE's ethnic food scene is pretty much straight kickin'. Not just Mexican (although there's TONS of it... seems like significantly more than KCK to me... taquerias, carnicerias, panaderias, paletarias, and abarottes literally everywhere) but various other Latin American cuisines, as well as several really good Vietnamese places, and even Ethiopian, Somali, and Cambodian if you know where to look. My neighborhood of choice is still decidedly blue collar and hardly in great shape economically or in terms of infrastructure, but there's some damn good food.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: Old NE's ethnic food scene is pretty much straight kickin'. Not just Mexican (although there's TONS of it... seems like significantly more than KCK to me... taquerias, carnicerias, panaderias, paletarias, and abarottes literally everywhere) but various other Latin American cuisines, as well as several really good Vietnamese places, and even Ethiopian, Somali, and Cambodian if you know where to look. My neighborhood of choice is still decidedly blue collar and hardly in great shape economically or in terms of infrastructure, but there's some damn good food.
NE rules. 

suggestion:  please create a "Old NE Eats" thread with a directory of the good food up there for us yokels in midtown... 
nilsson1941
New York Life
New York Life

Post by nilsson1941 »

Yes! I'm a new resident to the NE and would love some suggestions.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

nilsson1941 wrote: Yes! I'm a new resident to the NE and would love some suggestions.
Drive or walk down any stretch of Independence between the Paseo and Hardesty. Don't be afraid to step into any places, because the food is almost all amazing.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas ci

Post by bobbyhawks »

I never thought I would find a better taco in KC than Rico's Tacos "Lupe," but I may have recently seen the light. El Torito II in KCK on Central is pretty amazing. It is attached to a grocery that is pretty packed on the weekends. The food has been amazing both times I have visited.

Honorable mention also goes to another supermarket/restaurant, Bonito Michoacan for great tacos and soup. I will still go to Rico's, though. For chicken, El Pollo Rey cannot be promoted enough.
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

El Torito II on Central KCK has a great cafe. Their gordita (green, get the chicharron with fresh cheese) is amazing. I've had it a number of times and it's delicious. Crispy, chewy chicharron, it's never been flabby, love it with the little slab of fresh farmer cheese, slightly sweet masa. MMMM. They have good salsas too, always several to choose from.

Also would like to plug a newish place north of Central at 78 N 10th, Birrieria Michoacano. Really good birria, which has been difficult to find in restaurants here. Usually they have several kinds, including lamb and chivo. I hear they close when they run out, and open early - I've never been there past one or so. Cash only.
kansas
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kansas »

Ooh, forgot - for JoCo residents this is important! El Fogon Deli Taqueria, 10450 Metcalf. It's great, the quesadillas are awesome, tacos are good. the tortillas are fresh, not 100% sure they make them to order but they tasted like it. Saw several people chowing into huge yummy looking tortas. The carne asada taco I had this last sunday was a high quality specimen, the el pastor was good. Are the el pastor tacos as good as El Camino Real? No. Are they great, especially considering that they are $1.50 and located at 104th & metcalf? YES.

Edit: Tortillas are not made there. Still good though, and still at 104th and metcalf :)
Last edited by kansas on Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

bookmarking this topic...
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

bobbyhawks wrote:I never thought I would find a better taco in KC than Rico's Tacos "Lupe," but I may have recently seen the light. El Torito II in KCK on Central is pretty amazing. It is attached to a grocery that is pretty packed on the weekends. The food has been amazing both times I have visited.

Honorable mention also goes to another supermarket/restaurant, Bonito Michoacan for great tacos and soup. I will still go to Rico's, though. For chicken, El Pollo Rey cannot be promoted enough.
I will give a second to El Torito II. I've only been twice as well, but loved it.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

chrizow wrote:http://www.pitch.com/2011-03-24/restaur ... tha-senda/

has anyone been to chapala, at truman and hardesty?  sounds tasty.  i am not as plugged in to the old NE as i want to be, but it seems like old NE's mexican food scene rivals SW Blvd and KCK these days...
Best pozole
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kansas wrote:Ooh, forgot - for JoCo residents this is important! El Fogon Deli Taqueria, 10450 Metcalf. It's great, the quesadillas are awesome, tacos are good. the tortillas are fresh, not 100% sure they make them to order but they tasted like it. Saw several people chowing into huge yummy looking tortas. The carne asada taco I had this last sunday was a high quality specimen, the el pastor was good. Are the el pastor tacos as good as El Camino Real? No. Are they great, especially considering that they are $1.50 and located at 104th & metcalf? YES.

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen that place before but never had ventured.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kansas wrote:Ooh, forgot - for JoCo residents this is important! El Fogon Deli Taqueria, 10450 Metcalf. It's great, the quesadillas are awesome, tacos are good. the tortillas are fresh, not 100% sure they make them to order but they tasted like it. Saw several people chowing into huge yummy looking tortas. The carne asada taco I had this last sunday was a high quality specimen, the el pastor was good. Are the el pastor tacos as good as El Camino Real? No. Are they great, especially considering that they are $1.50 and located at 104th & metcalf? YES.

Thanks for the heads up. I've seen that place before but never had ventured.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Edit: Tortillas are not made there. Still good though, and still at 104th and metcalf :)
Edit: This is now open - El Fogon in Imo's old spot in Westport....

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 09129.html
Last edited by WSPanic on Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Nice. Good Mexican food is weirdly lacking south of downtown in KCMO.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Anyone care for Taco Republic? I've been there 2 or 3 times in the last year, or so, and have enjoyed the variety of street tacos and their cheese/beef skillet appetizer thing.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

StL_Dan wrote:Anyone care for Taco Republic? I've been there 2 or 3 times in the last year, or so, and have enjoyed the variety of street tacos and their cheese/beef skillet appetizer thing.
Not a fan of Taco Republic - I find their street tacos to be pretty dull, overpriced and lacking flavor. That said, I love their restaurant and think they really hit a sweet spot for that part of town.

Tiki Taco on 39th has had people packing the sidewalk since they opened, and they have solid street tacos, as does El Fogon near Sun Fresh.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

kcjak wrote:
Tiki Taco on 39th has had people packing the sidewalk since they opened, and they have solid street tacos, as does El Fogon near Sun Fresh.
Thanks for heads up. Im going to try both....assuming I'm not distracted by Flea when driving towards El Fogon. :mrgreen:
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Has anyone ever gone to Jarocho's seafood? They have a location on Kansas Ave in KCK and another around 131st in Leawood. I've heard four different people over the past few days raving about their food. The outside of the KCK spot is a little off-putting for a place I would order seafood, but most good mexican places are pretty lacking on the ouside.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Yes, Jarocho Pescados Y Mariscos at 7th/KS Ave is decent, though I've only been for lunch - fish tacos.
https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/def951_5 ... 965825.pdf
Last edited by earthling on Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.