favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: favorite under-the-radar mexican places in the kansas city area?

Post by moderne »

Is there any place that serves Yucatecan?
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

PumpkinStalker wrote: To circle back, the fiance had not heard of this place.  We'll try it sometime when we're out that way.
Interestingly enough, I just discovered that the original (and a few others) are here in KC.  Haven't had a chance to do recon though.
moderne wrote: Is there any place that serves Yucatecan?
Not that I know of...I've had a hard time getting much regional intel, though.  Carnitas at Pepe's and Camecuaro, both families from Michoacan; there's a supposed Oaxacan place by Zona Rosa and a supposed Veracruzan place in Olathe or close.  But it's hard to judge regional specialization in food by name alone.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

AJoD wrote: Interestingly enough, I just discovered that the original (and a few others) are here in KC.  Haven't had a chance to do recon though.
i'm going to need to investigate this.  if there are tacos al pastor in our midst that are superior to those found at el camino real, they need to be consumed, pronto.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but El Pueblito on SW Blvd across from Royal Liquors has excellent Al Pastor, and their hot salsa rocks.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

our never-ending quest for the best tacos in KC brought us to Bichelmeyer's meat shop on 7th st. in KCK, where they make tacos on saturdays.  they were awesome!  some of the best i've had. 

five choices of meats:  ground beef, beef brisket, shredded pork, pork stomach, and "pork steak" which was red like al pastor but sort of finely shredded.  two salsas: hot and hotter.  very fresh tortillas.  highly recommended.
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

Adding to the list:  El Michoacano Taqueria on Independence Ave. across from KFC.  We love their carnita tacos, their pork in green chili sauce, and their tamales are seriously incredible. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I have learned that one can get huitlacoche at Guadalajara Cafe, but have yet to try it. Anyone had it?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mean wrote: I have learned that one can get huitlacoche at Guadalajara Cafe, but have yet to try it. Anyone had it?
OK, Mean, I've heard of it, but how is huitlacoche generally served?  Isn't the name roughly translated as bird shit?

Not to disparage.  I've got a friend in Boulder who ate it one night in Mexico and said it was maybe the best flavor he's ever tasted, but he said he had it as a side dish, like mushrooms with a steak, but it was with beans, rice and other dishes unknown.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

alpha_glamourina wrote: Adding to the list:  El Michoacano Taqueria on Independence Ave. across from KFC.  We love their carnita tacos, their pork in green chili sauce, and their tamales are seriously incredible. 
Are they still open? They've been closed the last several times I've driven by, over the last week.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

chrizow wrote: our never-ending quest for the best tacos in KC
Has anyone tried Ray's Taco (or something like that) at 18th and central in KCK on the north east side of the intersection. Its a great taco!
Make sure you ask for extra chips and salsa, because its amazing.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

This Guadalajara Cafe? http://www.kcrestaurantguide.com/guadalajara_cafe.htm

I believe Ferruzza reported huitlacoche at the Oaxacan place across from Zona Rosa as well.  I've never had it as a side dish, but have had it (not locally) as a filling in quesadillas and empanadas.  Sometimes I've liked it better than others.  When it was good, it was a really nice earthy mushroomy flavor.  People get grossed out because it's a fungus, but mushroom is fungus.  I believe you can get it canned.  Not sure if I had it canned, fresh, both, whatever.  Worth a shot, and I take it as a good sign if a place has the guts to put it on their menu.

I ate at El Michoacano a couple months ago and thought it was pretty good, definitely worth a visit.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I'll "second" the street tacos at Bichelmeyers. You can also buy carnitas and tamales in-bulk there on the weekends as well. Tried their Adobada as well - you buy and cook that yourself - pretty damn good. I love Bichelmeyers for so many reasons...

In the past two weeks, I've eaten at Los Alamos Market (17th/Summit) for breakfast and lunch. I would highly recommend either. Cooked-to-order and prepared foods. They were making Chili Rellenos this morning and they looked great. Had Huevos Rancheros/Potatoes and refried beans this morning - ton of food for under $6. Very tasty.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

loftguy wrote:OK, Mean, I've heard of it, but how is huitlacoche generally served?  Isn't the name roughly translated as bird shit?
I believe at Guadalajara it was in a quesadilla although I don't remember right off. It can be served several ways.
That's the one. It was a fascinating place. The manager / owner guy spent a long time explaining the menu to us with grand dramatic flourishes, imploring us that this was not a "normal Mexican restaurant" that only served "crispy shells." He opined that crispy shells were, "shit," and made a point of gagging at the thought of lettuce in a taco. He literally spent 10 or 20 minutes going over several menu items with us, and ended up selling me on, "the best taco you will ever eat, I swear it! It will kill your mind!"

I don't remember right off what they were. It was some kind of beef taco with caramelized onion and cilantro. They were pretty good, not great, but the floor show of this guy making horrible faces talking about how disgusting crispy shells and yellow cheese are was way worth the price of entry. He was so entertaining and engaging that I didn't have the heart to stop him and explain that huitlacoche wasn't a "mushroom" as is claimed on the menu, although I did explain it to a fellow diner who was excited to try the "mushroom and goat cheese" quesadillas.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Perhaps a translation error on their part.  In spanish "hongo" can refer directly to fungus or mushrooms (so it's not uncommon to say you have an hongo del pies (foot fungus) and then go to a restaurant and order a "sopa de hongo" (mushroom soup), unlike here in the states where saying you have a "tasty Portabella fungus sandwich daily special" might sound unappetizing.

Or maybe they purposefully fudged it because of the distasteful sound of "fungus"...
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

ComandanteCero wrote: Perhaps a translation error on their part.  In spanish "hongo" can refer directly to fungus or mushrooms (so it's not uncommon to say you have an hongo del pies (foot fungus) and then go to a restaurant and order a "sopa de hongo" (mushroom soup), unlike here in the states where saying you have a "tasty Portabella fungus sandwich daily special" might sound unappetizing.

Or maybe they purposefully fudged it because of the distasteful sound of "fungus"...
Personally, I prefer "mexican truffles".
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

loftguy wrote: Personally, I prefer "mexican truffles".
Probably just more confusion - how many americans understand that "truffle" has a meaning other than "nasty chocolate candy you get in the rusell stover's box"? 
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Probably just more confusion - how many americans understand that "truffle" has a meaning other than "nasty chocolate candy you get in the russell stover's box"? 
http://www.oregontrufflefestival.com/
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

In spanish mushrooms are also regularly referred to as "champi?ones" (which comes from the french term for edible fungus "champignon")... so maybe they can just call it "Mexican champignons" (sounds fancy AND no confusions!)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

loftguy wrote: Personally, I prefer "mexican truffles".
I'm accustomed to "corn smut."
alpha_glamourina
New York Life
New York Life

Post by alpha_glamourina »

taxi wrote: Are they still open? They've been closed the last several times I've driven by, over the last week.
Yes, I just had lunch there today.  It's a small family run operation, and when Mom or the brother are sick (both cook) they close.  They're closed on Tuesdays as a rule, I'm pretty sure of that. 

Oh, and I said I liked their carnita tacos when I meant to say carne asada tacos!  I've not tried carnita tacos there yet, but they might be good since everything else there is.  :)