801 Chop House

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: 801 Chop House

Post by DaveKCMO »

WSPanic wrote: I went there for lunch last week and the place was crowded.

I'd highly recommend it for a good lunch.. They have burgers, a luncheon steak, steak sandwhich and several daily specials - most of which are $8-$10. I had a bacon cheeseburger, steak soup and a soda for about $10. And, the atmoshphere is awesome.
dinner = dead.
food quality/service = awful.

makes sense that lunch would still be popular, but not sure if that is enough to sustain a steak house?
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Already mentioned this in another thread...but you have to try this place.  I was really impressed.  My YELP review:

"I HATE TO SAY IT.  I hate to admit that I went to a non-local, non-KC steakhouse and had the BEST STEAK I HAVE HAD, EVER.  I guess, it's almost OK since this chain is from Omaha, the second place steak capitol...but still.  I'm feel bad for you Jennifer, too bad your dinner wasn't better...maybe it was just a result of the restaurant's growing pains?  I came on Sunday night...you should too.  They have a pre-fix menu where you can get a salad, a filet (6 or 8 oz...I forgot which), potatoes, asparagus, and a desert all for $30.  NOW THAT IS A DEAL!!  On a regular night, you would just get the steak and nothing else for about $32.  Anyway, the steak cut like butter, and tasted like heaven.  I donno how they do it, but they make the best steaks I have ever had.  Don't miss the Sunday dunner deal!!

Oh and the decor was pretty nice, but they could have served me this steak on the ground of the old surface parking lot that used to be there and I would still have given the place 5 stars!"

Dave, you should really give it another try.  Go on Sunday like I mentioned on here.  Get the filet if you didn't.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Midtownkid wrote: Already mentioned this in another thread...but you have to try this place.  I was really impressed.  My YELP review:

"I HATE TO SAY IT.  I hate to admit that I went to a non-local, non-KC steakhouse and had the BEST STEAK I HAVE HAD, EVER.  I guess, it's almost OK since this chain is from Omaha, the second place steak capitol...but still.  I'm feel bad for you Jennifer, too bad your dinner wasn't better...maybe it was just a result of the restaurant's growing pains?  I came on Sunday night...you should too.  They have a pre-fix menu where you can get a salad, a filet (6 or 8 oz...I forgot which), potatoes, asparagus, and a desert all for $30.  NOW THAT IS A DEAL!!  On a regular night, you would just get the steak and nothing else for about $32.  Anyway, the steak cut like butter, and tasted like heaven.  I donno how they do it, but they make the best steaks I have ever had.  Don't miss the Sunday dunner deal!!

Oh and the decor was pretty nice, but they could have served me this steak on the ground of the old surface parking lot that used to be there and I would still have given the place 5 stars!"

Dave, you should really give it another try.  Go on Sunday like I mentioned on here.  Get the filet if you didn't.
It's actually out of DsM not Omaha.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

Damn, couldn't remember which one.  :?
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

prix fixe
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

sorry Toss
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

grovester wrote: prix fixe
noted, and fixed.  I'm just a KC Hillbilly trying to make it in the proper-world of DC  :lol:

dwells
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by dwells »

I ate at 801 with my wife on NYE.  On NYE my wife and I had a bottle of wine.  I ordered six raw oysters which were great.  My wife and I split the big porterhouse, I ate the strip side and my wife had the fillet side.  For sides we had bousin mashed potatoes and asparagus, both were served family style.  Can't complain about the quality, its prime.  In fact I can't complain about anything about this establishment.  Now a few people here rag on location but seriously, name some other locations that would be better after you get done ragging.  The point is KC is a sprawling city, this central location appeals to all.  Anybody in the KC metro can be there in 20-30 minutes.  To the lady who ordered the fillet and said it had no taste, really?  You ordered the fillet!  It may be the most tasteless peace of meat on the cow.  Plus your eating prime beef, everything is going to be butter knife tender, try something different!  Fillet is what my grandma orders cause she is 90.  Our porterhouse looked beautiful, was cooked to our specification of med/rare, and tasted great.  If your looking for a special occasion dinner and enjoy good steak and appreciate prime beef, this is an excellent establishment.  On the other hand, if you have moth's in your wallet and you think prime beef is something you can get at hy-vee, go to the golden corral and fill up on the steak buffet special, your posts on this restaurant would just be comedy relief at your expense.  Oh and before I go, I could not find KC's 801 menu online but would agree that if they have a new york strip listed on the menu it would be advisable to change it to just strip steak or KC strip even though they are all the same.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

too many people dont grasp a filet is not all that. it is prime beef, the fanciest part of the cow, no doubt. but in addition to the diners not getting it is rather bland, a lot of chefs are too dumb to flavor the damn thing.

we have friends, they always want to take us to morton's like twice a year to celebrate random things, and i am always like "mortons again???" thier steaks have no goddamn flavor. shit, nothing they serve does. random salt and pepper, and very random at that. if you are gonna do a filet, pan sear it in shitake leek butter and top it with some port wine demi or something, give it some DAMN FLAVOR.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

You know, I don't always agree with your development ideas (KAUFFMAN STADIUM!!!!!) but you must be a pretty decent chef.  Why don't you come back and do a one night only restaurant in KC?  We could make it a board get together.
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

beautyfromashes wrote: You know, I don't always agree with your development ideas (KAUFFMAN STADIUM!!!!!) but you must be a pretty decent chef.  Why don't you come back and do a one night only restaurant in KC?  We could make it a board get together.
a board get together with this group is never gonna happen. i am starting to be pleasantly suprised the amount of foodies on here, i think we should start another part of the forum dedicated JUST to kc restaurants and food. i know we have kc scene and all that, but new stadiums discussion has it's own area.

anywho, a one night only restaurant? yeah, that would be cheap!! i still hold out hope i can convince mrs. chef to open a restaurant in kc someday when we are closer to retiring.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kcdcchef wrote: i think we should start another part of the forum dedicated JUST to kc restaurants and food.
i think this is a grand idea...
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

By invitation only. :-)
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

PumpkinStalker wrote: By invitation only. :-)

That’s to keep people like me with an educated opinion out of that forum right? God forbid someone in the business give their 2 cents…that would be blasphemy on this board. :shock:
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Jill ja wrote:
That’s to keep people like me with an educated opinion out of that forum right? God forbid someone in the business give their 2 cents…that would be blasphemy on this board. :shock:
he was kidding. 

it will be much easier for you to read and contribute on this forum once you realize that most of us are being sarcastic most of the time.  :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wow.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

What the hell just happened?  I'm lost!
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

chrizow wrote: he was kidding. 

it will be much easier for you to read and contribute on this forum once you realize that most of us are being sarcastic most of the time.   :)

I know he was kidding.

It seems though the restaurant and business owners are shunned on this forum from contributing. It's like we have to hide. I admit I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder. It's hard to have a restaurant in this community.And to top it all off, listening to people talk more about chains than indies. I don’t think hardly anyone on this forum has been to my place. But that’s not the issue. I just get frustrated.

I don’t really care what people think individually on this forum…It’s the whole tone that kinda irks me. Sorry.
O:)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

With such a wonderful attitude towards potential customers, I can't wait to try out your place. &
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Believe me I weighed that one out a looooong time ago. Again….I know very few of you will ever come to my place. And I’m not upset about it. My place is really expensive and I have plenty of patrons. I’m not saying that no one here comes just very very few. And I think you have said you like my place powercat so I’m sorry for being negative. Just frustrated.