Krause Dining

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Krause Dining

Post by chrizow »

http://www.krausedining.com/

has anyone been? 

it looks like it must be incredible. 

check out the location - in a mod addition to their victorian house in lawrence.  very cool. 

tasting menu for $80.

discuss.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Krause Dining

Post by warwickland »

looks very interesting, kind of a different direction from what i've been appreciating lately (very informal neighborhood scale high quality cooking). could be a spectacular failure, could be spectacular-either way, i am interested in trying it. it's so bold....particularity for a college town, albeit a good one.
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

All Flash websites like that are quasi-excruciating.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

Been twice.  Both times off the charts great experience.  Two things

1.  Be prepared to spend money

2.  Be prepared to not drive back to Kansas City.

Its far-and-away the best place I have been in the KC metro when you take into account service, atmosphere, food, innovative cooking, etc.  Just a totally different dining experience than most places.  Maybe that is the best word for it:  experience.    And the owners are great.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Here's a report from about a year ago with more food details.  I wonder if they lowered prices; I had actually thought it was considerably more than $80, though maybe that was more courses, wine, etc.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we have reservations for krause dining this weekend.  woo! 

i'll be sure to file a lengthy, highly detailed review.  6 courses - mmm.
Last edited by chrizow on Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: we have reservations for krause dining this weekend.  woo! 

i'll be sure to file a lengthy, highly detailed review.  6 courses - mmm.
Look forward to the review but please leave the musings about social justice in south Lawrence out of the report.  I was wondering, WTF, how did we get here when I read the otherwise fine review on the provided link. 
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

The musings on economic issues in Lawrence don't really seem relevant unless you know that the restaurant almost didn't get a license because they had to get a zoning variance.  Which was vigorously protested by some in the neighborhood.
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

I love this place. food is top notch. Decore is top notch. Service is perfect. Robert and his wife should be very proud. If I was going to bring foodies from out of town I would take them here. (second to my place of course :D) I wish I could get away with what he's doing in KC.
NOLA
Pad site
Pad site

Post by NOLA »

Krause is now also doing a gourmet burger stand at Dempsey's Bar just off Mass St.  I guess it is going to be run by the sous chef.  I've never been to Dempsey's (think it used to be Rick's Place way back in the day), but will now make a visit the next time I'm in town. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Highlander wrote: Look forward to the review but please leave the musings about social justice in south Lawrence out of the report.  I was wondering, WTF, how did we get here when I read the otherwise fine review on the provided link. 
As heatherkay said, the "restaurant" has moved around and eventually needed rezoning to permanently reside in the couple's home. It was all over the local media for many weeks. East Lawrence is gaining an attitude towards development and gentrification that is very similar to KCMO's  West Side and things like upscale dining represent encroachment of monied white folk.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Never really heard of this place til I saw it on "Check, Please". Seems like quite the unique dining experience.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

checked out krause dining for valentine's day dinner.  it is without a doubt, far and away, the best dining experience in the kc area.  it is in a different league in all ways - food, service, ambiance, everything.

as others have mentioned, KD is located in an old house (duplex?) in east lawrence.  (i find it laughable that anyone was worried about "gentrification" - it's like five blocks from mass st!  :lol: )

we arrived and were promptly seated in the modern addition in the backyard of the restaurant.  we walked through the kitchen area and were greeted by the owners.  the dining area is beautiful - dark and candlelit, but in a starkly modern style.  after being seated, the owner/chef walked around with a basket of bite-sized croissant-type rolls with cheese in them.  i forget what he called them, but they were awesome and it was nice to be served an amuse bouche in such a welcoming, communal fashion. 

we had a six-course tasting menu with wine pairings:

(1) maine diver scallop in a carrot curry sauce with peanuts and a small "salad" on top - a perfect start to the meal.  the scallop was perfectly cooked - seared and crispy outside, silky and smooth on the inside.  the sauce was sort of a puree and was equally smooth and soft.  the greens and peanuts added more texture and balanced the smooth scallop and sauce with a touch of acidity + bitterness (greens) and nutty sweetness (peanuts).  this dish was paired with a great viognier.  A+.

(2) mero (a kind of sea bass) with a couple of apple-based sauces, topped with a pork-jowl bacon, on risotto - i am missing several components of the dish (note to KD: a written menu would be nice!) but it was amazing.  the fish was delicate and flavorful, and all the other ingredients just highlighted the fish.  it was paired with a delicious austrian gruner vertliner.  A+.

(3) we had a choice for the third course - foie gras terrine with a blueberry compote, or an egg yolk crusted with panko bread crumbs, served with greens and some shaved prosciutto.  my girlfriend got the foie gras and i got the egg.  the foie gras was perfectly prepared and the preparation highlighted it (vs. justus drugstore, which buried it in a large amount of brioche).  the blueberry compote was great with it as well.  the egg yolk dish i had was amazing as well - rich, silky yolk in a flaky panko crust.  the greens and salty ham cut the gooey yolk well.  it was paired with a washington state tempranillo that was just delicious.  A++.

(4) kobe ribeye, with carmelized fennel, haricot verts, cabernet reduction, on top of truffled mashed potatoes - this was just ridiculous.  i haven't had a steak in probably six years (yeah, officially not a veg now), but this was wonderful.  it was served medium rare.  my gf said it wasn't as tender as she hoped it would be, but we figured this was b/c it was a ribeye and not the filet?  the exterior 1/8-inch was somewhat firm, but the interior was pink and delicious.  the carmelized fennel was incredible, complimenting the smokiness of the  meat.  the haricot verts were fresh and crisp.  the cabernet reduction added a burst of flavor and acidity.  the truffle mashed potatoes were very, very rich.  this was paired with a really nice, deep red wine.  it wasn't a cab.  it might have been a syrah?  whatever it was, it was perfect.  A++.

(5) the first dessert course - sticky rice, two ways.  a cylinder of black rice, white rice, candied cilantro, mango, and two sauces.  sadly, i can't remember all the components of the dish, but it was great.  it was a perfect transition course.  it was sweet, but not a decadent, rich dessert.  it was paired with an orange muscat, which was one of the more inspired pairings of the night. 

(6) chocolate souffle cake - hot and delicious.  the best i've ever had.  paired with a great port.  it was 11:30 pm and we were about to ask if we could crash on the couch.  decadent and indulgent. 

as if we needed anything more, they gave us a small glass containing a mocha "shake" at the end.  it was delicious.

but yeah, the experience at krause is very unique to this region.  nothing touches it.   it was more on par with the restaurants we ate at in san francisco - not surprisingly, the owners worked at gary danko's in SF.  best restaurant in the kc area, bar none.

everyone should go there. 

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

A question I wanted to ask that may scare off some others from trying Krause Dining...how was it dining within their home? Was it awkward at all or did it feel like a "real" restaurant? Do they have a hired waitstaff?
chrizow wrote: (i find it laughable that anyone was worried about "gentrification" - it's like five blocks from mass st!  :lol: )
Mass is like a dividing line in terms of race/class. There is a whole different perception when talking about New Jersey St, Connecticut St, etc. from talking about Ohio St, Kentucky St, etc. in Old West Lawrence. That is obviously being erased as more and more adopted townie hipster folk taken over the East Side (i.e. East Side People's Market, Dot Dot Dot Gallery, etc.) and more BoBo/Gen X parents buy older homes which are cheaper than West Lawrence or OWL. The idea is that people don't want East Lawrence to become white and squeaky clean like 99% of Lawrence.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: A question I wanted to ask that may scare off some others from trying Krause Dining...how was it dining within their home? Was it awkward at all or did it feel like a "real" restaurant?

Mass is like a dividing line in terms of race/class. There is a whole different perception when talking about New Jersey St, Connecticut St, etc. from talking about Ohio St, Kentucky St, etc. in Old West Lawrence. That is obviously being erased as more and more adopted townie hipster folk taken over the East Side (i.e. East Side People's Market, Dot Dot Dot Gallery, etc.) and more BoBo/Gen X parents buy older homes. The idea is that people don't want East Lawrence to become white and squeaky clean like 99% of Lawrence.
1.  it wasn't awkward at all.  most of the dining takes place in the modern, "DWELL"-esque cube behind the house, which doesn't feel like a house at all.  the waiting area, and what appeared to be a tiny dining room or party room, is inside the house and felt like it.  i didn't find it awkward.  there are restaurants in houses (or bldgs that used to be houses) in a lot of cities, so it's not that weird.  it didn't feel much different than Lill's on 17th in kcmo, if Lill's had a mod addition on the back.  it feels 1% like a house, 99% like a real restaurant.

2.  that's interesting about mass st.  i had no idea.  i dont know much about lawrence - i always thought that the streets east of lawrence felt basically the same as those on the west side.  slightly ramshackle, college-ghetto and townie housing.  i didn't realize the political history of it.  (curious - was/is the uproar from non-white east lawrence folks, or from people outraged on their behalf?  or both?).  i could see the furor if Krause Dining uprooted a family to put in their fancy restaurant, but i don't see anything wrong with turning a wreck of an old building into a beautiful living or dining space.  there might be other folks turning east lawrence into a "white, squeaky clean" area, but i think that Krause Dining is so creative and interesting that it's not unlike putting an art gallery or music space in a derelict area.  gotta love that. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: Do they have a hired waitstaff?
yes. 
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

thanks for the review, chriz....someday i'll go, i have a mild nostalgia for lawrence and the period i frequented shows there. lawrence no longer has that "its just right there, i can go anytime so i never do" cache like it did when i was in kc.
Last edited by warwickland on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: 2.  that's interesting about mass st.  i had no idea.  i dont know much about lawrence - i always thought that the streets east of lawrence felt basically the same as those on the west side.  slightly ramshackle, college-ghetto and townie housing.  i didn't realize the political history of it.  (curious - was/is the uproar from non-white east lawrence folks, or from people outraged on their behalf?  or both?).  i could see the furor if Krause Dining uprooted a family to put in their fancy restaurant, but i don't see anything wrong with turning a wreck of an old building into a beautiful living or dining space.  there might be other folks turning east lawrence into a "white, squeaky clean" area, but i think that Krause Dining is so creative and interesting that it's not unlike putting an art gallery or music space in a derelict area.  gotta love that. 

The real "non-white" part of Lawrence was North Lawrence across the bridge (remember we are talking about a city/university that is still very white even compared to somewhere like Columbia). East Lawrence is more like a hipster townie/aging counter-culturist/working class/somewhere you're likely to have a chopshop next door area. The housing market in Lawrence is way inflated for the middle class (IMHO). I'm assuming that the comination of high dollar investment rental properties and upper-middle class people that work in Topeka or JoCo have priced many people out of home ownership. I remember seeing seeing houses that look about ready to fall down going for like $150,000 in East Lawrence. The inflated housing prices throughout the entire city seems to dramaticize gentrification issues in places like East Lawrence. Add this to the fact that people in Lawrence like to get worked up...

Anyways. Good to hear that Lawrence has a gem of an establishment. Most truly upscale dining experiences have gone belly up in this town with the exception of Pachamama's. I'll have to come up with a reason to try Krause...
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: checked out krause dining for valentine's day dinner.  it is without a doubt, far and away, the best dining experience in the kc area.  it is in a different league in all ways - food, service, ambiance, everything.

as others have mentioned, KD is located in an old house (duplex?) in east lawrence.  (i find it laughable that anyone was worried about "gentrification" - it's like five blocks from mass st!  :lol: )

we arrived and were promptly seated in the modern addition in the backyard of the restaurant.  we walked through the kitchen area and were greeted by the owners.  the dining area is beautiful - dark and candlelit, but in a starkly modern style.  after being seated, the owner/chef walked around with a basket of bite-sized croissant-type rolls with cheese in them.  i forget what he called them, but they were awesome and it was nice to be served an amuse bouche in such a welcoming, communal fashion. 

we had a six-course tasting menu with wine pairings:

(1) maine diver scallop in a carrot curry sauce with peanuts and a small "salad" on top - a perfect start to the meal.  the scallop was perfectly cooked - seared and crispy outside, silky and smooth on the inside.  the sauce was sort of a puree and was equally smooth and soft.  the greens and peanuts added more texture and balanced the smooth scallop and sauce with a touch of acidity + bitterness (greens) and nutty sweetness (peanuts).  this dish was paired with a great viognier.  A+.

(2) mero (a kind of sea bass) with a couple of apple-based sauces, topped with a pork-jowl bacon, on risotto - i am missing several components of the dish (note to KD: a written menu would be nice!) but it was amazing.  the fish was delicate and flavorful, and all the other ingredients just highlighted the fish.  it was paired with a delicious austrian gruner vertliner.  A+.

(3) we had a choice for the third course - foie gras terrine with a blueberry compote, or an egg yolk crusted with panko bread crumbs, served with greens and some shaved prosciutto.  my girlfriend got the foie gras and i got the egg.  the foie gras was perfectly prepared and the preparation highlighted it (vs. justus drugstore, which buried it in a large amount of brioche).  the blueberry compote was great with it as well.  the egg yolk dish i had was amazing as well - rich, silky yolk in a flaky panko crust.  the greens and salty ham cut the gooey yolk well.  it was paired with a washington state tempranillo that was just delicious.  A++.

(4) kobe ribeye, with carmelized fennel, haricot verts, cabernet reduction, on top of truffled mashed potatoes - this was just ridiculous.  i haven't had a steak in probably six years (yeah, officially not a veg now), but this was wonderful.  it was served medium rare.  my gf said it wasn't as tender as she hoped it would be, but we figured this was b/c it was a ribeye and not the filet?  the exterior 1/8-inch was somewhat firm, but the interior was pink and delicious.  the carmelized fennel was incredible, complimenting the smokiness of the  meat.  the haricot verts were fresh and crisp.  the cabernet reduction added a burst of flavor and acidity.  the truffle mashed potatoes were very, very rich.  this was paired with a really nice, deep red wine.  it wasn't a cab.  it might have been a syrah?  whatever it was, it was perfect.  A++.

(5) the first dessert course - sticky rice, two ways.  a cylinder of black rice, white rice, candied cilantro, mango, and two sauces.  sadly, i can't remember all the components of the dish, but it was great.  it was a perfect transition course.  it was sweet, but not a decadent, rich dessert.  it was paired with an orange muscat, which was one of the more inspired pairings of the night. 

(6) chocolate souffle cake - hot and delicious.  the best i've ever had.  paired with a great port.  it was 11:30 pm and we were about to ask if we could crash on the couch.  decadent and indulgent. 

as if we needed anything more, they gave us a small glass containing a mocha "shake" at the end.  it was delicious.

but yeah, the experience at krause is very unique to this region.  nothing touches it.   it was more on par with the restaurants we ate at in san francisco - not surprisingly, the owners worked at gary danko's in SF.  best restaurant in the kc area, bar none.

everyone should go there.    
Thanks and great review.  For a guy who only recently broadened his palate, you do a good job at knowing your way around a menu.  The place just sounds great, how about a rough cost estimate?  I plan to be in Lawrence this summer for a visit and would like to give it a try (my son is checking out schools).

trailerkid wrote: Mass is like a dividing line in terms of race/class. There is a whole different perception when talking about New Jersey St, Connecticut St, etc. from talking about Ohio St, Kentucky St, etc. in Old West Lawrence. That is obviously being erased as more and more adopted townie hipster folk taken over the East Side (i.e. East Side People's Market, Dot Dot Dot Gallery, etc.) and more BoBo/Gen X parents buy older homes which are cheaper than West Lawrence or OWL. The idea is that people don't want East Lawrence to become white and squeaky clean like 99% of Lawrence.
Is this place north or south of 23rd? 

When I was at KU, I frequented both sides of Mass and it was pretty much students everywhere with more married students east of Mass in individual houses and more people willing to live in tenement settings in big houses on Tennessee and Ohio to the west of Mass.  I lived in a house on Tennessee....it was really pretty similar to E. Lawrence socio-economically but the bigger houses allowed for more multi-apartment homes.  Some were pretty squalid.     
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: (remember we are talking about a city/university that is still very white even compared to somewhere like Columbia).
Pretty ironic statement given that MU and OU both practiced Plessy by actually paying KU to take their non-white students as the "seperate but equal" alternative to actually enrolling them in Columbia or Norman.