ONGOING: Midland Theater Events

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ONGOING: Midland Theater Events

Post by KCMax »

Got my tix. Should be a good show....FOR ME TO POOP ON!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KCLofts wrote: Looks like Conan is adding second shows in many cities.  Hopefully he does the same for KC.
I doubt he'll add second shows in tertiary markets like KC, Tulsa, Mpls.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KCMax wrote: TEAM COCO IS COMING TO KANSAS CITY!!!!!! MAY 16!!!!!

http://teamcoco.com/

Outstanding show last night.  Lots of KC jokes last night on BBQ, the shuttlecocks. They did a hilarious commercial for the Shady Lady. One of the funniest bits was a pre-recorded bit with Triumph the Insult Dog with a bad voice over that inserted the name of the town they were in and references to local establishments and personalities ("The services here are so great that I took a poop on...[Southwest Boulevard]....and it was immediately picked up and served at....[Town Topic]." Jason Sudeikis showed up (wearing a Record Bar T-shirt) to do the Walker Texas Ranger Lever. Awesome high energy show. Can't wait for Conesy to premiere on TBS.

I was blown away by how nice the Midland is. They did an outstanding job renovating it. Between Conan and Cirque and some event at Bartle, there were a ton of people milling about downtown on a Sunday evening no less.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Conan show was better than I thought it would be, very entertaining.  I didn't get the KC guy from SNL, who is he?  I don't watch SNL very often.  Does he have characters?  Was the only lame segment of show methinks.  Triumph dog was one of better segments - me laughed much.  Good job on the KC references.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on June 18th. Presale tomorrow. Very stoked.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

grovester wrote:Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on June 18th. Presale tomorrow. Very stoked.
Awesome, Was just re-listening to the "Lyre of Orpheus" last week.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Great show, that guy is over the top. Not sure he was thrilled with the crowd. Kind of fits the KC being kind of a subdued crowd meme.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Got a couple of Sufjan Stevens tix I can't use tonight. Will trade for beer.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm looking forward to it. From the previous set lists, he is really only playing the new album in a barely jumbled order. I would be disappointed, but the new album is pretty great.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

A few great shows in the area tonight...It will likely be Sweet Spirit at The Union of Westport for me. I'm dubious of this venue for some reason.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Yes, would have been quite an interesting show, sorry to miss. The tickets were grabbed by my lovely niece which means no beer for me dammit. Will have to make up for it at Sleater-Kinney on Sunday.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

grovester wrote:Yes, would have been quite an interesting show, sorry to miss. The tickets were grabbed by my lovely niece which means no beer for me dammit. Will have to make up for it at Sleater-Kinney on Sunday.
I actually saw them in Omaha a few weeks back. It should be another great show here in KC.

Sufjan was pretty great. His voice is just as great live as recorded, and he finished up with some songs from Illinois which were a welcome addition. The pre-encore finale light show was spectacular (and pretty much the ultimate epilepsy test). He was also selling the limited edition clear vinyl of the new album for $25, which was a nice pickup and is going for $40 online.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

A few great shows in the area tonight...It will likely be Sweet Spirit at The Union of Westport for me. I'm dubious of this venue for some reason.
Neither here nor there, really, but I would be dubious of The Union for no other reason then the giant "Blayney's" sign that still hangs over the front of the building. For some reason this really bothers me. If you can't be bothered to take down a sign, how much effort are putting into your venue?

That being said, I haven't ventured into the Union since the Blayney's blues night days, so know not what I speak.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Channel 9 News just reported that lights went out at the Midland Theater during the rainstorm, and that there was water running down the aisles.

How could this happen?
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

FangKC wrote:Channel 9 News just reported that lights went out at the Midland Theater during the rainstorm, and that there was water running down the aisles.

How could this happen?
Mother Nature hates comedy.