Blanc Burgers & Bottles

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Blanc Burgers & Bottles

Post by dangerboy »

Checked out this place on opening night, last night.  It's owned by the guys from The Drop in Union Hill.  Westport Road just west of Broadway, next to Blayney's.

Food was really good. I had a burger with blue cheese embedded in it.  They have about 100 bottles, with at least 30 more on order.  The all-white decor is a little to eurotrash for my taste, but the burgers and beer are good enough to merit my repeat visit.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blanc Burgers & Bottles

Post by KCMax »

Hopefully this place will stick! That spot has turned over a lot in the last few years.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

it looked pretty nice through the papered windows on wednesday.  i'll have to try it this weekend.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Blanc Burger and Bottles

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

A new burger join in Westport between Matsu and Broadway on the south side of Westport rd.

Went to lunch today and enjoyed it as much as my lunch this week at chef burger. Blanc is nice space, and the food was great. All drinks are served from bottles, sodas, wines & 160 beers in bottles.

I had the Burger Au Poivre w/watercress, grilled onions and a cream sauce.  Also sweet potato fries and and an orange cream soda. Great Dipping sauces and homemade ketchup.

It was a good burger week.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Blanc Burger and Bottles

Post by chrizow »

did you notice if they have a veg burger? 

either way i'll go there to check out the beer and fries.  mmm.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Thanks for bringing this up, they mentioned this on the Food Critics this morning and I had forgotten the name of the place til I read this thread. They really liked the sweet potato fries, which is great, cause my wife loves sweet potatoes.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

Yes, it was a spicy lentil, with a yogurt sauce. This will not help a veggie, but they do have turkey, and meatloaf, and buffalo burgers. I did try some of the meatloaf, it was good.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

chrizow wrote: did you notice if they have a veg burger? 

either way i'll go there to check out the beer and fries.  mmm.
i had the lentil burger the day they opened.  it was not so good.  just...lentil overload.  like lentil soup cooked down in to concentrate.  i told the manager as much when he asked--they really wanted feedback (which is great).  i wouldn't be surprised to see it get better.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

I had the lentil burger the other day and thought it was really good, but then again I am vegetarian going on 15 years.  I have really scaled back my veggie burger consumption in recent years but still enjoy one every now and again (many times its the only option)  Anyways I liked it and the sweet potato fries.  The lunch menu seems a little "busy" but overall it looks great. hope they make it.
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I had lunch there last Monday, My wife and I were the first customers for lunch, as we were at the Drop and Sol Cantina.  We are friends with Eddie and Ernesto and it looks like Ernesto is managing Blanc.  Joyce Smith was there taking pictures and interviewing Ernesto.  It shoud be in the cityscape portion of the Wednesday paper.  My wife had the Au Poivre burger and I had the shredded pork.  It had slaw and some other sauce on it.  pretty good.  I'm not a fan of the stark white color, but hence the name, Blanc. Josh did come out and asked how we liked everything, so I do believe they will take feedback in a positive way.  I hoping this place will make it.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

Well, it sounds like this place is getting some good buzz and food compliments.  Time for me to check it out and put my two cents in.  Cheers!
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

Burgers are great - my wife & I had the Classic.  Also, the french fries are thin and crispy; onion rings are very crispy and the onions themselves are very tender.  The ketchup is to die for - homemade and neither too salty, nor too sweet.  They also serve a spicy mustard and garlic aioli with the fries.

We thought the burger flavor was much better than ChefBurger.  All are cooked the same - pretty much medium, yet remain juicy, flavorful, etc.  Waitress mentioned they would be open 7 days a week - tried to go again today, but they were closed  :(    Can't wait to try the Pepper burger (pepperjack cheese with a peppadew jam).  Josh minces peppadews, adds a bit of sugar to the juice and reduces - is scrumptious with fries.

Good beer selection and a full bar.  We liked the minimalist decor. We'll hit it regularly.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: Westport Starbucks to Close

Post by justin8216 »

I read that the owners of the Drop on Martini Corner are opening a "Gourmet Hamburger" joint in Westport.
It sounds awesome and from the description, it should give the mis-named "Chefburger" a run for their money.

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/554686.html
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

What does this have to do with Starbucks old locale?  Is it not going to be a black owned bakery anymore?  Did I miss something?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

went to blanc burger tonight. i had the pork burger, which was tasty. the b/f had the turkey burger, which looked far more appetizing. we're not beer knurds, so we opted for wine... those are half-bottle prices? $18 for a french pinot blanc. next time we'll do beers, although everything is bottled. the sweet potato fries were very good and served in a tiny shopping cart. it was pretty crowded and lively, which bodes well for this cursed location. as for the inevitable comparison to chefburger, i'd choose the latter any day, if only for the location and availability of spiked shakes. i'm sure i'd say the opposite if i lived in midtown.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

justin8216 wrote: I read that the owners of the Drop on Martini Corner are opening a "Gourmet Hamburger" joint in Westport.
It sounds awesome and from the description, it should give the mis-named "Chefburger" a run for their money.

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/554686.html

The burger place (which is excellent, based on one hamburger) is two doors west of the old Starbucks.
kclofter
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kclofter »

DaveKCMO wrote: ...as for the inevitable comparison to chefburger, i'd choose the latter any day, if only for the location and availability of spiked shakes. i'm sure i'd say the opposite if i lived in midtown.
We're midtowners and BB&B is most convenient for us.  I suspect they would do spiked shakes too - hmmm, maybe a lime shake with gin, go easy on the ice cream and milk.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Ah Hahahaha ....so this guy just tried to order a Bud...and they didn't have it (Bud Light or Select only) so he orders a Duvel.  That's all I had, ahem.....you had to be there I guess.  It was funny.  I swear.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

DaveKCMO wrote:we're not beer knurds, so we opted for wine...
I love wine, but man...we've got to induct you into the club.  :o
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

mean wrote: I love wine, but man...we've got to induct you into the club.  :o
i would have totally tried a beer had they been on tap! :cheers: