Blanc Burgers & Bottles

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Blanc Burgers & Bottles

Post by trailerkid »

droopy wrote:  Blanc is also looking at expansion/franchising. 
They already have stores open/planned in Arkansas and Nebraska, but they don't franchise as far as I know.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: On a related note, I have to think that BBB is missing the boat by moving way too slow on their national expansion plans - by the time they get that boat out of the harbor it is going to be headed into a market that will already be saturated out the wazoo with fancy burger joints. 
It seems like this would have happened already. I don't know of a national fancy burger chain equivalent to Blanc that would blanket the market. Blanc should build about five more Blanc/b:2 locations in this market-- maybe go to St. Louis, Tulsa, OKC and Des Moines-- and be done with it.
Joe Smith
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Joe Smith »

There's two kinds of people I don't trust, people with no tats and people that don't drink.
There's nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot.   Harry Callahan

For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.  Hunter S. Thompson
ChefColby
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ChefColby »

Joe Smith wrote: There's two kinds of people I don't trust, people with no tats and people that don't drink.
Amen brotha....
hawkgolfer
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hawkgolfer »

Groupon today for Blanc.  $20 voucher for $10 and it includes alcohol.  You can buy up to 5 as well.  Load up!!!

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu2121210
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

heard that Groupon is the fastest growing business in the country. Not sure if true or not.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I believe this is the second time Blanc has done a $10 Groupon.  Last time I think they sold in the neighborhood of 1500.  This one is at 5600 and counting after just a couple hours.  At this pace, they should surpass the 10,000 mark.  Not bad to make $100k in one day plus guarantee yourselves thousands of guests.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

KCLofts wrote: I believe this is the second time Blanc has done a $10 Groupon.  Last time I think they sold in the neighborhood of 1500.  This one is at 5600 and counting after just a couple hours.  At this pace, they should surpass the 10,000 mark.  Not bad to make $100k in one day plus guarantee yourselves thousands of guests.
Except after Groupon's 50% cut they are serving all those meals at 75% off.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

lock+load wrote: Except after Groupon's 50% cut they are serving all those meals at 75% off.
Wow, didn't realize Groupon's cut was that hefty.  Not a bad return for sending out about 100,000 e-mails.  I just did a little more research on this and 50% does seem to be the norm.  In addition, it sounds like Groupon pays the restaurant 1/3 up front, 1/3 at 1 month and 1/3 at 2 months.  Whereas most people will redeem the coupons within a few weeks.

Lots of interesting debates out there between business owners as to whether Groupon is a good deal or not.  The restaurant has to rely on people spending more than the value of their voucher on their visit and the hopes of bringing in new, repeat customers in order to cover what is most likely a loss on the base deal.  Neither of which is guaranteed.

The folks at Groupon are going to be partying it up with the success of this one.  Certainly the best day for them in KC so far.  Not sure if the Blanc guys are quite as happy to see the numbers going this high or not.  While there is a minimum number of sales required, it doesn't appear to be limited on the top end.  This could turn into a nightmare for them.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

You have to think there is a group of people who would sign up for the offer and then not use it.  I think I've read that 10% of Christmas gift cards go unused.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

beautyfromashes wrote: You have to think there is a group of people who would sign up for the offer and then not use it.  I think I've read that 10% of Christmas gift cards go unused.

My thoughts exactly.  I'd actually say that the number is far higher for gift cards that don't get used.  The majority of gift cards are purchased around the holidays, and I'll bet in a lot of restaurants they only get about half of them back.  If Groupon is anything like that then it's one hell of a deal for the restaurateur.

And considering the prices and check averages for Blanc, most people cashing in their Groupon will A) spend more than the value of the Groupon or B) bring people in with them that don't have one.  At the very least it's about marketing, and the fact that Blanc did it again tells me they're pretty happy with the way it worked out.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

KCLofts wrote: The folks at Groupon are going to be partying it up with the success of this one.  Certainly the best day for them in KC so far.  Not sure if the Blanc guys are quite as happy to see the numbers going this high or not.  While there is a minimum number of sales required, it doesn't appear to be limited on the top end.  This could turn into a nightmare for them.
How many GAP groupons were sold? It had to be pretty high.

Since this is Blanc's second groupon, I would think they would know the risks.

I'm pretty sure they could set limits on the time the groupon was available or how many are sold if they wanted to.
blackbird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by blackbird »

There can be a top limit - the groupon for Woodside last week was capped at 650 purchases.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

The Blanc groupon sold 14,00+. Did groupon really just make $70,000? I'm surprised they don't have more competition with numbers like that.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mudjack wrote: The Blanc groupon sold 14,00+. Did groupon really just make $70,000? I'm surprised they don't have more competition with numbers like that.
there is competition (living social + tippr) and there are more on the way. i'd imagine the KC Star is working on a groupon imitator while we speak.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

KC Confidential reported that Blanc's latest Groupon was #1 seller of all time. Closest was a spot in Chicago that sold 10,000.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by elextendo »

Sounds like a scam to me..
P&L Free since 2008
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

elextendo wrote: Sounds like a scam to me..
hundred thousand people in KC in on the scam I guess.
elonalum
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by elonalum »

but back to the franchising of BBB or even serious expansion...this is a trend that has just now hit the midwest, just like the yogurt shops (more recently just hitting the area)  - trying to franchise or expand beyond what is, is probably not a good idea. overnight (it seems) there are way too many options for burgers and yogurt.  think of the gourmet burger places around now - smashburger, brgr, chefburger, hamburger mary's....all these places are based on an upscale burger.  i am burgered out.  it's like when the meal maker places came here.....months too late and too many jumped on board WAY too late...who's still around?  really?  none.  an area like this can only sustain so many burger joints.  any area, for that matter.  off my soapbox for now.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

and yet town topic soldiers on.