Poco's - awesome Mexican breakfast

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Poco's - awesome Mexican breakfast

Post by loftguy »

chrizow wrote: indeed.  it is billed as a mexican buffet. 
If the food is anywhere near the previous quality there is a good possibility I'm going to hurt myself.

Es hora para una siesta, no?
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: :shock:  I hope they go the more "gourmet" mexican route.  Everytime I have ever been to a "mexican buffet" it has always been a horrifying experience involving scary amounts of congealed glop.  It seems like the standard tex mex "tortilla-bloat" menu items do not lend themselves well to long term chaffing dish storage. 
I'm curious, too, given that my limited experience with "Mexican buffets" has been your basic salad bar, and a couple of chafing dishes of yellow rice, refried beans, and limp taquitos.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Yesterday.  $9.95.  Go.  Eat.

Pork chops with pineapple glaze, shrimp & cheese enchiladas, eggs with chorizo and peppers, veggie eggs, mushroom and ? empanadas, menudo, posole, bisquits and sausage gravy, and about ten other things that all looked great, and they told me that the lineup is continually changing throughout the day.

Sit on the patio while you can, but leave me a spot.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

loftguy wrote: Sit on the patio while you can, but leave me a spot.
seems like a very inhospitable location for patio dining.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: seems like a very inhospitable location for patio dining.
I'll grant you that it's not Bistro 303, but some  of us like the view of high-jacked Ford 4x4's cruising, while we enjoy our morning margaritas.

It's urban, that's all.

(Serious note: I did not imbibe as my hands were shaking for some reason, but my three cohorts said the Margaritas prepared by Claudia were muy refresco and likely the best they had ever had.  And this group has sampled most every margarita in town.)
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

loftguy wrote: (Serious note: I did not imbibe as my hands were shaking for some reason, but my three cohorts said the Margaritas prepared by Claudia were muy refresco and likely the best they had ever had.  And this group has sampled most every margarita in town.)
Shaky hands? - that seems like precisely the sort of condition tequila should be prescribed for. 
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Shaky hands? - that seems like precisely the sort of condition tequila should be prescribed for.   
Fact: I've got a hangup about spilling good tequila.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kansascity.com/199/story/1460756.html
Poco?s on the Boulevard is back....

Poco?s offers an American and Mexican buffet, but customers also can order off the menu for breakfast, lunch or dinner ? chilaquiles, burritos, biscuits and gravy, tortilla wraps, quesadillas, enchiladas, chile rellenos, risotto con pollo, caramelized onion crusted salmon, and cherry tenderloins....
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

that sounds pretty awesome.  too bad it's not open all night, as those offerings sound like perfect after-bars food.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

That's fantastic. I'm so glad this place is back. It's my favorite Sunday breakfast place. Definitely looking forward to trying the buffet for lunch this week.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I went on Sunday for breakfast.  I should have tried the buffet, but instead I went for Huevos Rancheros.  It was not as good as it was previously - instead of thick slabs of ham it featured thin, tasteless, square shaped pieces of ham.  The prices were good and the buffet looked great - but it was definitely the least appetizing meal I've ever had at Poco's...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
kimchi
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kimchi »

Yay! Another chance to finally try their chilaquiles.  This seems to be the only place in the metro that serves chilaquiles (tortillas chopped up & sauteed in green or red enchilada-like sauce w/ onions, sometimes eggs &/or cheese, crema), which is one of my favorite simple mexican dishes.  Let me know if anywhere else does.  I'll get over there soon to try theirs. 
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

kimchi wrote: Yay! Another chance to finally try their chilaquiles.  This seems to be the only place in the metro that serves chilaquiles (tortillas chopped up & sauteed in green or red enchilada-like sauce w/ onions, sometimes eggs &/or cheese, crema), which is one of my favorite simple mexican dishes.  Let me know if anywhere else does.  I'll get over there soon to try theirs. 
Can't remember the name of the place, but we went to a divey looking joint on N. Oak that had chilaquiles.  Very bright orange/green/purple building on the west side of the street.  South of Barry Rd, but can't remember how far south.  First time I had cq, so nothing to compare to, but I thought they were pretty tasty.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Is little Mary back waiting tables on Sunday?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

kimchi wrote: Yay! Another chance to finally try their chilaquiles.  This seems to be the only place in the metro that serves chilaquiles (tortillas chopped up & sauteed in green or red enchilada-like sauce w/ onions, sometimes eggs &/or cheese, crema), which is one of my favorite simple mexican dishes.  Let me know if anywhere else does.  I'll get over there soon to try theirs. 
I love their chilaquiles - right on par with what I've had in Mexico and SW Texas.  Haven't seen them anywhere else, but then I never sought them out.  The moyetes (sp?) are incredible too...soft hoagie-type roll served open face and topped with refried beans and mild chorizo. Mmmmmm
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I did not see Mary on Sunday and I meant to ask.  Hope she's coming back.  However Claudia the owners daughter is now working the restaurant and she is a sharp addition.  She's a serious beauty, too.  (note that I previously praised her margaritas. This girls a catch!)
kimchi
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kimchi »

KCLofts wrote: Can't remember the name of the place, but we went to a divey looking joint on N. Oak that had chilaquiles.  Very bright orange/green/purple building on the west side of the street.  South of Barry Rd, but can't remember how far south.  First time I had cq, so nothing to compare to, but I thought they were pretty tasty.
Woo hoo! Thank you for the hints! I just googled then called the 1st place that came up & it is:

El Maguey
7831 N Oak Trfy
Kansas City, MO 64118-1426
(816) 468-0077
http://tinyurl.com/mf9n2o

She said they have them everyday.  I will report back & try Poco's too to compare. Wonder if they have mezcal based on their name?  Hope so.

Sincerely,
The Chilaquiles Hunter
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

el maguey is really nasty.  i hope their chilaquiles are better than their other food!
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Aw, man! Are you kidding? El Maguey is AWESOME! It's hardly recognizable as Mexican food, sure, but when I want a sodium-laden, cheese-sauce-coated, barely seasoned ground-beef-stuffed burrito, there is no comparison.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

mean wrote: Aw, man! Are you kidding? El Maguey is AWESOME! It's hardly recognizable as Mexican food, sure, but when I want a sodium-laden, cheese-sauce-coated, barely seasoned ground-beef-stuffed burrito, there is no comparison.
haha, i can appreciate that.  i just had a couple of pretty horrifying experiences after dining at el maguey in columbia.  :x