Gordon Biersch

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gordon Biersch

Post by mean »

You can never have too much garlic.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Someone needs to make a Garlic Pale Ale and give it a studious slant.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

tried GB again last night. i had fire-grilled chicken fettuccine (decent) and my friend had a steak (he like it, and the mashed potatoes i sampled were very good). and yes, i had a pint of martzen! seasonal is due any day now (16th?).
kuslamb
New York Life
New York Life

Post by kuslamb »

We went yesterday before the games.  We had family in town with two little boys.  The little boys had pepperoni pizza and grilled chicken.  Both something I would never order there, and both were really good as I stole a few bites.

My wife and I split the hummus salad, as did my brother and his wife.  Everyone really enjoyed the salads.  Both added grilled chicken to the salad.  It seems weird to bring up plain old grilled chicken again, but everyone commented on how good it was. 

When we were arriving, they were finishing up fried chicken ring apps that they also enjoyed. 

We all had beers, and we all enjoyed those beers.

Service was good, as the restaurant was not fully packed, but still busy. 

Again, an overall good experience for us.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Had the sampler of beers last night....they were all pretty good...nothing spectacular, but good.  Martzen was probably my favorite.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Which one is the wheat beer with the lemon flavor? I had a couple of those and they were pretty darn good.

Agreed on the garlic fries. I had a cheeseburger Wed night which was okay but not great. However, the fries were nasty!
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

I like this place, but I have two complaints. I wish the bar area was bigger. It's almost a non-point, though. I mean, you could just grab a beer and then walk out into the Live area. The beer is decent, but isn't great. Nice to have some fresh beer though.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

coreyo wrote: I like this place, but I have two complaints. I wish the bar area was bigger. It's almost a non-point, though. I mean, you could just grab a beer and then walk out into the Live area. The beer is decent, but isn't great. Nice to have some fresh beer though.
did you notice that the bar area opens up to the patio on the back? the windows slide up and there's a ledge outside which doubles the amount of bar space. but yeah, inside it's pretty tight around the bar.
coreyo
New York Life
New York Life

Post by coreyo »

DaveKCMO wrote: did you notice that the bar area opens up to the patio on the back? the windows slide up and there's a ledge outside which doubles the amount of bar space. but yeah, inside it's pretty tight around the bar.
oh yeah. the outside is the only place I've found comfortable. I wouldn't say it doubles the bar space though.  On the inside, I felt like I was in a traffic jam. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

mean wrote: You can never have too much garlic.
You can if you're a vampire.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I'm drinking a Maibock, and I have one thing to say:  Where's the flavor?  You can taste an alcohol presence, which is surprising since it's about 5% (like the rest of their beers).  It's very cloudy, can't see through it at all and pours a thick head at first which dwindles to nothing.  I'm also trying their fried artichoke appetizer for the first time and it's somewhat disappointing.  Needs more spice or something.  Bland...
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I'm drinking a Maibock, and I have one thing to say:  Where's the flavor?  You can taste an alcohol presence, which is surprising since it's about 5% (like the rest of their beers).  It's very cloudy, can't see through it at all and pours a thick head at first which dwindles to nothing.  I'm also trying their fried artichoke appetizer for the first time and it's somewhat disappointing.  Needs more spice or something.  Bland...

I'm here now drinking a maibock as well. I prefer the schwartzbier.  (royals hat at the bar)
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Damn!  Already biked home!
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

MightyKC wrote: I'm here now drinking a maibock as well. I prefer the schwartzbier.  (royals hat at the bar)
I guess I did not realize that they had Maibock (Boulevard) at Gordon Biersch.  Or have you guys moved on to somewhere else.
I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by MightyKC »

cknab1 wrote: I guess I did not realize that they had Maibock (Boulevard) at Gordon Biersch.  Or have you guys moved on to somewhere else.
No, biersch just put out a seasonal today and it is also a maibock.  I didn't find it as off putting as pumpkin did though.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I'll have to try that and see/taste the difference between them and Blvd. 
cknab1
Ambassador

Post by cknab1 »

I love this forum.  This kind of information is why I keep looking at this site.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I'm pretty sure they're having an unadvertised tapping party tomorrow to celebrate the arrival of the new Maibock.  One feature of the party is reportedly free Maibock.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I had the Maibock in Seattle and thought it was pretty good. No idea how consistent they are between locations, though.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

AJoD wrote: One feature of the party is reportedly free Maibock.
Maybe free food and discounted beer.  Sounds as though details are not entirely clear, even to staff.