Gordon Biersch

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Gordon Biersch

Post by DaveKCMO »

from the P+L "scoop" email:
Gordon Biersch celebrates summer with a Keg Tapping party on Tuesday, June 24, at 6 p.m. SOMERGOLD is a refreshing summer Kolsch-style beer with a light, fruity flavor, just perfect for summer. The luau-themed Tapping Party will feature live music by Daine Estes, a sampling of the delicious, new summer menu items, giveaways and prizes every 45 minutes.

New summer menu items include: a shrimp and crab tower; Asian chicken salad; macadamia nut crusted Mahi-Mahi; and delectable mini dessert tasters, which allow customers to choose from five tiny tasters.

Event: Gordon Biersch Tapping Party
Date:  Tuesday, June 24
Time:  6 p.m.
Kansas City, MO 64105
Price: FREE admission; drink & food specials
Live Music:  Daine Estes
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

At the Maibock tapping party, they passed free wings, cheese and crackers, little sandwiches, and stuff.  It was decent.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

GB for lunch today:

the place was pretty busy.  i don't know what it is like in the evenings, but it was pretty full. 

our server was really nice and efficient, but the fake enthusiasm and multiple spiels regarding the specials, his favorite items, what we should order if we're REALLY HUNGRY, the dessert "tasters" (which looked disgusting, like jello pudding cup desserts), etc. was annoying.  he was just doing his job i guess, but for me it just emphasized the fact that we were nothing but a "ticket" for the restaurant.  (push the desserts!  push a beer or cocktail!  tell them things they don't want to know about at least five things on the menu!)

i ordered the mahi mahi sandwich w/garlic fries and a schwarzbier.  the beer was ok and $5.  the sandwich was barely average - bun was dry on the outside, soggy and saturated with nasty "remoulade" sauce on the inside.  there were two pieces of fish on the sandwich for some reason, and they were soft, soggy, and tasted like fish from Wendy's or something.  the sandwich also came equipped with wet nasty greens and a single, paper-thin, pathetic slice of tomato that had actually slid off the sandwich onto the plate in transit.  the fries were decent, but they would have been much better without the half-assed "garlic" preparation.  sandwich + beer = $16+.

the atmosphere in the center part of this restaurant (up the stairs) is very much akin to a shoneys or something. 

i thought GB was ok when it first opened and i went there a couple of times to sit in the bar area for decent-enough beers and maybe some appetizers, but as a restaurant it is completely average and devoid of any personality or interest whatsoever.  it felt like an eating factory.

i give it a C.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I've eaten there three times I believe, having the Cajun Pasta each time. Although it tastes great, it is grossly overpriced and culinarily it is outclassed by a similar dish at McCoy's in Westport for far less money.
Last edited by Tosspot on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

my sandwich seemed like it was pre-chewed by a st. bernard for my convenience. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Its a good safe choice for a variety of places. Obviously nothing first class. Its a brew pub, so I don't really expect Bluestem level food. Everybody I have taken there seems to enjoy it.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i don't expect Bluestem-level, but it seems like a $12 fish sandwich should not taste like it was stored for six days in a KC bus driver's crotch in july. 

i feel like the Sysco-truck bar/grill/pub food from mccoy's, fric and frac, foundry, 75th st, etc. is much better than GB's, and costs 30% less.  to each their own though.  i'm glad people like GB's, i just don't want to go back personally.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

having eaten here many times, it's a good default choice if you must eat in the district: lots of menu items, relatively inexpensive, decent beer, average service, two outdoor patios... AND you can escape TV screens and the noise of the Live block, if you desire. food-wise, it far exceeds the river market brewing company and the rest of the sports bars downtown (quaff, peanut, and the now-dead p. ott's/tanner's/13th street triumvirate).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

DaveKCMO wrote: food-wise, it far exceeds the river market brewing company and the rest of the sports bars downtown (quaff, peanut, and the now-dead p. ott's/tanner's/13th street triumvirate).
i'll give it that. 

i think the McCoy's folks should have opened The Foundry downtown...
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Oh I am no G-B defender, I just think its a good safe choice. 

Personally I just avoid fish in any restaurant of that type. Seems none of them can do it right
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote: Personally I just avoid fish in any restaurant of that type. Seems none of them can do it right
that is a very good point.  both Bice and GB were awful with fish.  i'm sure their pizzas, pastas, etc. are fine.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've gone back to GB a few times since my initial review, and it has more or less sucked every time. I keep hoping it will get better, but it never does. The food is mostly unpleasant (seriously, learn to trim a flat iron!) and overpriced. That said, the Kobe sliders are pretty great. Definitely the best thing I've had on the menu; unfortunately, it would take 3 orders to make a meal, and at $11 a pop it's kind of ridiculous.

The two things I haven't tried that I will probably go back for are the reuben (got to try every one I find) and the marzen ribs, but I'm not particularly hopeful that either will be worthwhile. It's really too bad, too, because they have a few quite decent beers.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mean wrote: That said, the Kobe sliders are pretty great. Definitely the best thing I've had on the menu; unfortunately, it would take 3 orders to make a meal, and at $11 a pop it's kind of ridiculous.
Go three blocks to Czar Bar.  $8 for un-be-lie-va-ble sliders.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Sold. I may, in fact, do that tonight. Been meaning to check out Czar anyway.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

DaveKCMO wrote: food-wise, it far exceeds the river market brewing company and the rest of the sports bars downtown (quaff, peanut, and the now-dead p. ott's/tanner's/13th street triumvirate).
I'll take an order of wings or a BLT from the Peanut any day.  I don't want to know anything about how it was made, though.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I tend to agree with the opinion that GB has proven to be a good 'safe' choice when eating in the 'dist.  I've taken a variety of folks there (often suburban family) and we've come away satisfied every time.  To be fair, the only thing I've eaten there is the Mahi-Mahi wrap, 4 or 5 times, and I think it's quite good, with garlic fries or the somewhat sad, tiny asparagus side, washed down with a Schwarzbier.  Yeah, the beers are five bucks, but they're large, 24oz if I recall, and they knock off a dollar at happy hour.  Not to mention the north side bar patio is a prime people watching spot to take in the riff-raff downtown :).
are we spinning free?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

When I go, I too always sit outside on the north patio.  I, however, have not seen DaveKCMO nor his riff-raff.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

DaveKCMO wrote: food-wise, it far exceeds the river market brewing company...
For the love of God, I hope so, there are nursing home cafeterias that outclass that joint.

I ordinarily like brewpubs, but I've gotta say, this fish sandwich horror story isn't selling me.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Jess wrote: For the love of God, I hope so, there are nursing home cafeterias that outclass that joint.

I ordinarily like brewpubs, but I've gotta say, this fish sandwich horror story isn't selling me.
brewpubs in retirement homes. You may have just hit on the hot business trend of the coming teens.
Thaine
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Thaine »

Tosspot wrote: I've eaten there three times I believe, having the Cajun Pasta each time. Although it tastes great, it is grossly overpriced and culinarily it is outclassed by a similar dish at McCoy's in Westport for far less money.
May be time to move on to another selection.  :lol: :lol:

Had a burger there the other day that was pretty good.  They were full.