15th and Grand - Celine Tio restaurants (former KC Cafe)

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: The Kansas City Cafe, 15th and Grand

Post by KCMax »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Belfry now open at 1532 Grand. Keeping early and late hours, so check it out.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/16/47 ... -chef.html
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: 15th and Grand - Celine Tio restaurants (former KC Cafe)

Post by Midtownkid »

Had dinner at Belfry this weekend.

Amazing food! Definitely going to be back.

I had the 420 cocktail as well, I highly recommend that! :mrgreen:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCMax wrote:Belfry now open at 1532 Grand. Keeping early and late hours, so check it out.

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/16/47 ... -chef.html
Went there one of the first pre-official nights they were open. She is a fun and engaging person, can't wait to actually eat here. Collection food so far as been amazing.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

How is that Collection place doing? I hope it gets a good lunch crowd. I really hope Celina doesn't see similar fate Rob Dalzell, seems like she has expanded fairly quickly in a short amount of time.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:How is that Collection place doing? I hope it gets a good lunch crowd. I really hope Celina doesn't see similar fate Rob Dalzell, seems like she has expanded fairly quickly in a short amount of time.
I'm wondering the same. It seems I've heard more about the Belfry in the last two weeks than I've heard about Collection the entire time it has been open.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote:How is that Collection place doing? I hope it gets a good lunch crowd. I really hope Celina doesn't see similar fate Rob Dalzell, seems like she has expanded fairly quickly in a short amount of time.
You mean you hope her family is not embroiled in a biosciences scandal?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Did Collection and Belfry last weekend. The food was very good at collection and the beer selection at Belfry was good. My biggest problem was ambiance. Both spaces were terribly bright. Dimming the light in both would seem to go a long way. Granted, we were coming from Manifesto, but still - way too bright.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

WSPanic wrote:Did Collection and Belfry last weekend. The food was very good at collection and the beer selection at Belfry was good. My biggest problem was ambiance. Both spaces were terribly bright. Dimming the light in both would seem to go a long way. Granted, we were coming from Manifesto, but still - way too bright.
Yeah overall both need a little character...especially collection. I always chalked it up to her not really officially launching it yet...kind of an extended soft opening for Collection....
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

bobbyhawks wrote:
I didn't know he was in a scandal, i thought he just lost his ass on all his restaurants and that's why they shut down.
I just don't want her to over extend herself and end up going bankrupt. She is a talented chef but she has opened like 3 restaurants in the last 5 years and 2 in a very short time.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
bobbyhawks wrote:
I didn't know he was in a scandal, i thought he just lost his ass on all his restaurants and that's why they shut down.
I just don't want her to over extend herself and end up going bankrupt. She is a talented chef but she has opened like 3 restaurants in the last 5 years and 2 in a very short time.
I've still never heard the full story, but it all seemed so sudden and coincidentally linked to the timing of the KCUMB revelations.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... tory7.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/s ... l?page=all
In a May 17 tax filing with the Internal Revenue Service, the Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences revealed for the first time its allegation that Douglas Dalzell, the school’s former executive vice president of institutional development, “operated several family-owned restaurants out of the (university) using (its) internal auditor to keep the restaurant’s books on the organization’s computers.”
It was part of a section in which the university disclosed that it might have paid excessive compensation to Dalzell.
Dalzell, who has been unreachable throughout the controversy at the university, is a partner with his son, Rob, in a restaurant business that once included five restaurants in the Crossroads Arts District and the Kansas City Power & Light District.
The restaurant group has struggled recently, and some of the Dalzells’ business associates said in February that the downturn seemed to be linked, in part, to the firings at KCUMB.
The restaurants are Chef Burger, Yummo, Souperman, Pizza Bella and 1924 Main.
Chef Burger is under new ownership, Yummo is expected to reopen in the summer with new ownership, 1924 Main and Souperman closed in February, and Pizza Bella remains open.
Also involved in the restaurant business was Rob Dalzell’s wife, Margarita. She also worked at KCUMB and was fired as part of the internal investigation for unspecified reasons.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Had a great burger at Belfry today. Agree with others that some ambiance is needed. Mainly some art on the walls. Will definitely be back though.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I really like Belfry. For some reason, it is never a destination, but we often end up here. Low key with simple but well done food, fantastic beer selection and very good craft cocktails. Highly recommend the Ommegang Three Philosophers.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:I really like Belfry. For some reason, it is never a destination, but we often end up here. Low key with simple but well done food, fantastic beer selection and very good craft cocktails. Highly recommend the Ommegang Three Philosophers.
it's moving into the old czar bar/vault space, in case that hadn't been reported.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

wow, what is the time frame?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

grovester wrote:wow, what is the time frame?
i don't recall, but there is a new liquor license request out already.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Good move. Cozy space but easily forgotten about
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

have seen a few groups hanging out in the collection space while i've been in belfry — is that a private event space, or just overflow for the belfry crowd?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Event space.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

looks like the belfry isn't moving after all:

https://www.facebook.com/thebelfryloung ... 8769668886
I know you've been missing us. We've been missing you! Buyer of my building couldn't get it together so we're not moving after all! Stay tuned here for updates. Can't wait to see you all again! : )