wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
elextendo
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by elextendo »

Great building going up for sale across from Minskys,Boomerang, 2 floors plus basement,parking in rear. Second floor has a great apt. /loft and first floor could be rented for something..right now theres a dance studio in there..Should be going on the market soon..
P&L Free since 2008
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

elextendo wrote: Great building going up for sale across from Minskys,Boomerang, 2 floors plus basement,parking in rear. Second floor has a great apt. /loft and first floor could be rented for something..right now theres a dance studio in there..Should be going on the market soon..
What's happening to the Midtown School of Dance?
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Has anybody checked out the old Rainbow Towers now being marketed as the Vista condos?
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

elextendo wrote: Great building going up for sale across from Minskys,Boomerang, 2 floors plus basement,parking in rear. Second floor has a great apt. /loft and first floor could be rented for something..right now theres a dance studio in there..Should be going on the market soon..
In the 1960s this was the location of my grandfather's refrigeration repair business.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Would be an excellent location for a restaurant or beer bar.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

That is a really sharp little building.  Cool. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'm starting to see cars with the "39" logo on them. Looks like they're really trying to market 39th street as a unique district. I think its a great move, its turning into one of my favorite areas.

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
beantree
Surface Lot

GOOD things happening on 39th St!!!

Post by beantree »

If you haven't tried Po's Dumpling Bar yet, you're missing the best kept secret on 39th Street. This overlooked lunch/dinner spot is located between Chipotle and Room 39. Po's is anything but your typical Chinese restaurant. It boasts hip interior, relevant music (like Portishead) and amazing food. The menu offers everything from - duh - dumplings, appetizers and an amazing array of soups, and off-the-beaten-path entrees (like hot pots and rice noodle dishes) in addition to common Chinese restaurant fare (broccoli and beef, general tsoa's chicken, etc). Best of all, it's extremely inexpensive. I have visited Po's three times and have yet to try something I haven't completely loved.

Unfortunately, everytime I've dined there, the restaurant has bordered on empty. If you want to keep Po's around (and you will!!!), please try it sooner, rather than later. I guarantee you'll return!
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Wink opens tomorow.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

can everyone please email the ATA and ask them to stop sending every other #39 bus to the plaza instead of west 39th? insanity!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

DaveKCMO wrote: can everyone please email the ATA and ask them to stop sending every other #39 bus to the plaza instead of west 39th? insanity!
dbrown@kcata.org

YES PLEASE this diversion seriously impacts by ability to use the bus system.  At off-peak hours it means headways as long as an hour. 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

AJoD wrote: Wink opens tomorow.
Wink is a sex-positive, educational space that opens it’s doors in Kansas City September 21st, 2007  :shock:

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

loftguy wrote: 1415 West 39th, what space is this? 
It's adjacent to Boomerang, between Wyoming and Terrace.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

1415 West 39th, what space is this? 

Sounds like a interesting addition to the community.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Scotty's on 39th, the restaurant owned by the former chef at Macaluso's, got a favorable review in the Star this week.  sounds tasty.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I just ate at Scotty's on Wed. evening. The crowd was sparse and the menu options somewhat limited due to the fact they were getting ready to change from summer to fall menus. Although, the server told us they were just not busy enough to do prime rib throughout the week.

The food was pretty good - my friend had a pork chop that was delicious leftover. And I had the Tortellini with shrimp special - which I didn't think was that great, but was OK. I had ordered the prime rib and was denied - same with the half chicken.

The servers were friendly and competent - I thought the Georgia O'Keefe-esque art work was a little over done, but overall, I'd recommend it. Had a very friendly/"neighborhood" feel to it.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Re: GOOD things happening on 39th St!!!

Post by AJoD »

beantree wrote: If you haven't tried Po's Dumpling Bar yet, you're missing the best kept secret on 39th Street. This overlooked lunch/dinner spot is located between Chipotle and Room 39. Po's is anything but your typical Chinese restaurant. It boasts hip interior, relevant music (like Portishead) and amazing food. The menu offers everything from - duh - dumplings, appetizers and an amazing array of soups, and off-the-beaten-path entrees (like hot pots and rice noodle dishes) in addition to common Chinese restaurant fare (broccoli and beef, general tsoa's chicken, etc). Best of all, it's extremely inexpensive. I have visited Po's three times and have yet to try something I haven't completely loved.

Unfortunately, everytime I've dined there, the restaurant has bordered on empty. If you want to keep Po's around (and you will!!!), please try it sooner, rather than later. I guarantee you'll return!
Tried this place for lunch today and was a little disappointed.  Got a bunch of dumplings (3 different kinds), some char siu buns, and some sesame noodles.  Everything seemed a bit underseasoned, including the dipping sauce.  There were a handful of other parties in the room for a late lunch, 1:30-2:30.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I've been to Po's a number of times. Its hit and miss. The service was terrible at first (Charles Feruzza of the Pitch also noted terrible service) but it has steadily improved. The lunch crowd is generally very good (and lunch is cheap and very good), but the dinner crowds are still quite small. I think the dumplings are quite good. The duck was fantastic (LenexatoKCMO noted his wasn't very good). The pan fried noodles are pretty good. The vegetables are all very fresh and crispy.

Still, I like the ambience and the dumplings, and it does seem to be a hardworking family trying to make it work. I'm willing to give them a shot.

AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I am partly to blame for my disappointment, in that I'd read enough to know that the emphasis wasn't on dumplings as much as the name implies.  But dammit, I want good dumplings from a dumpling bar.

I wouldn't object to a return visit, and I definitely like supporting the local guy, but I've got a lot of places to try still too.

Glad to know about some of their standouts, as so often a place will do a handful of things so much better than others.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

We thought the dumplings at Po's were a underseasoned as well.  Quite enjoyed the jalapeno chicken.