wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

[rimg][/rimg]The record store at 39th & Wyoming, Vinyl Renaissance, has closed. They might've moved? Cold staff, too much space. The space issue seems to be addressed by the landlord- a glance indoors shows new sheetrock dividing off the garage-windowed side facing Wyoming.
Also, a Goth-esque boutique, LOA- closed. Plagued with drama from the start but kinda stylish if they could just make some money- much like our beloved Goths.
Coincidentally here is the kind of gem that keeps me posting- Bikram Yoga's lease was not renewed because yoga is 'of the Devil.' This was a business decision made in 2016 in your neighborhood, folks. Bikram relocated to Uptown's minimall addition and is the better for it, bigger and better lit place
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Are you serious that the neighborhood folks forced them out? I could see something like that happening in Olathe but not Midtown KC. There is actually a person at my work who are telling her kids to sit out of Yoga during gym class because of its religious foundation
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I live in the neighborhood and this is the first I've heard of it. I'd love more details to take to our neighborhood association meeting.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It sounds more like a landlord decision. It's pretty unusual a neighborhood would force a tenant to relocate, unless there were noise or related issues, not ladies sweating. Unless they have a new landlord, I'd be a little surprised that they didn't figure it out during initial negotiations. Or maybe they converted. I don't believe in heaven or hell, but I've met that Bikram Yoga lady and she is, well, no angel. Then again, there is no shortage of devils on 39th. St. Nor Columbus Park.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:The record store at 39th & Wyoming, Vinyl Renaissance, has closed. They might've moved? Cold staff, too much space. The space issue seems to be addressed by the landlord- a glance indoors shows new sheetrock dividing off the garage-windowed side facing Wyoming.
They expanded their OP location and consolidated the 39th St. store with it.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Are you serious that the neighborhood folks forced them out? I could see something like that happening in Olathe but not Midtown KC. There is actually a person at my work who are telling her kids to sit out of Yoga during gym class because of its religious foundation
I call bullshit (on the Bikrahm Yoga was forced out of the neighborhood part). I can not only see a person asking that her kids sit out of yoga class, I can see valid arguments why. Maybe she just thinks commercialized white-girl appropriationism is gross. That has all the hallmarks of an urban "hipper than thou" form of the exact same kind of horseshit gossip monger none sense that everyone likes to pretend only happens in the "lily-white" burbs. Fucking boogeyman bullshit.

To say nothing of the fact that yoga is as suburban as taupe stucco paneling.
Last edited by chingon on Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

taxi wrote:It sounds more like a landlord decision. It's pretty unusual a neighborhood would force a tenant to relocate, unless there were noise or related issues, not ladies sweating. Unless they have a new landlord, I'd be a little surprised that they didn't figure it out during initial negotiations. Or maybe they converted. I don't believe in heaven or hell, but I've met that Bikram Yoga lady and she is, well, no angel. Then again, there is no shortage of devils on 39th. St. Nor Columbus Park.

Taxi is correct. I thought that 'lease was not renewed' implied it was the landlord's decision, since landlords renew/cancel leases.

The 'this happened in your neighborhood' is just colloquial.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

chingon wrote:
brewcrew1000 wrote:Are you serious that the neighborhood folks forced them out? I could see something like that happening in Olathe but not Midtown KC. There is actually a person at my work who are telling her kids to sit out of Yoga during gym class because of its religious foundation
I call bullshit (on the Bikrahm Yoga was forced out of the neighborhood part). I can not only see a person asking that her kids sit out of yoga class, I can see valid arguments why. Maybe she just thinks commercialized white-girl appropriationism is gross. That has all the hallmarks of an urban "hipper than thou" form of the exact same kind of horseshit gossip monger none sense that everyone likes to pretend only happens in the "lily-white" burbs. Fucking boogeyman bullshit.

To say nothing of the fact that yoga is as suburban as taupe stucco paneling.
Chingon's got some completely non-constructive opinions to add, and some typos.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
Chingon's got some completely non-constructive opinions to add, and some typos.
Since when are consturctive komments rekuired at kcreg?
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Chingon, I hope your family joins you at the podium as you acknowledge your fallen ways.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Sorry I don't like your girlfriends' hobbies, guys.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

They should totally put COLORED ONLY signs on yoga studios and see what happens.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

mean wrote:They should totally put COLORED ONLY signs on yoga studios and see what happens.
Hahahahaha.Pitch perfect!
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Aladdin recently moved into a portion of the building that was formerly the used record store on 39th/Wyoming. Looks like the remainder of the space is being renovated into Phys.Ed.KC and sign says group exercise, classes, yoga.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Is yoga 'whiter' than sitting around the internet and getting excited about which fast food corp has decided to plunk down a franchise in their giant suburban city? No.
Yeah, KCRag is the forum where everyone examines capitalism and how they practice within
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

Thomas has been "closed for remodeling" for several weeks, but given that its phone number's out of service and its Facebook page is gone, I'll go out on a limb and say it's not reopening.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

auntbigdog wrote:Thomas has been "closed for remodeling" for several weeks, but given that its phone number's out of service and its Facebook page is gone, I'll go out on a limb and say it's not reopening.
KC Star reports that the restaurant is closed for good and the space is being prepped for a new restaurant. In other news, I drove by Blue Koi over the weekend and looks like they've completely gutted the place after the fire and new drywall is going up.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Thai restaurant moving in to former Thomas location

https://www.flatlandkc.org/news-issues/ ... th-street/