wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
advocrat
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by advocrat »

dangerboy wrote: Sure there are good independent restaurants in the burbs, but like everything else they are spread out.  A big advantage of a real neighborhood like Volker is that there is a concentration of several options in one place.  If you want to go out in the burbs you have to plan it out ahead of time.  On 39th you can just show and have many excellent choices available to you.

Korma Sutra started in a strip mall at College and Metcalf.  There's also a pretty great Moroccan buffet near Metcalf and 119th (they run out of food pretty often though, so it's best to get there early).  Oh, and the Caspian Bistro (don't know if it's still open), over at Metcalf and 91st also has some great food.  By and large I'd much rather eat in the urban core, but there's plenty of independent and good restaurants out in the burbs if you know where to look (although I really dislike eating out at strip malls, if i go out and can't go into the urban core i have a list of indie places i'll hit up out here).

Ditto that what each of you say.  And I'm not saying the suburban restaurants are all bad. e.g. I've been to Korma Sutra, and, the Jackstack at 95th & Metcalf is as good as the Freighthouse location. But I would still rather eat on 39th, or on the Plaza, or downtown. And, it's a toss-up on drive time, because I live way west in Olathe, but it still only takes me about 25 minutes to get downtown. Oddly if I drive 135th to Roe or Mission Road, it takes about the same amount of time because there are 30-40 stoplights-even if I get through half of them they often last 2-3 minutes, so doing the math makes the transit about 30-40 minutes on a good day.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

trailerkid wrote: Why blame MAX? I use transit to get places and connecting to the 39 bus from MAX is easy. Is MAX responsible for connecting every urban node in the city?
MAX is surely efficient public transport and also an intentioned economic engine.  Someone makes the point after my post- suggesting an E-W route to stir 18th St's eastward development.

Why does the city grant the favorable MAX to the RCP/River-Crown-Plaza?  And skip W. 39/Westport's artery, Broadway. 

If the routing were based on usage, Troost riders wouldn't be waiting 'til the proposed 2009.  Tourists looking for Dave Edwards' BBQ would be. 
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

I overheard today that whomever owns much W.39th st property writes pretty ambitious leases.  Rumi's rent has doubled from its onset price per the lease. 

Who knows how Westport will react to the Penn st. condo when finished this summer.   
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

I lived on 39th for a long time, and know most of the rest. owners. Lots of info on this thread is untrue. Room 39 does not turn them away, except maybe for 1/2 hour during lunchtime. January was a difficult month for every rest. in town, and poor Macaluso's was not able to recover.
Also, Rumi had one of the best rental deals in town. Most of the businesses on 39th are struggling, and there is no doubt that there are too many rest.'s, too much competition and not enough patrons. And better bus routes will not save these rest.'s, at least not at present.
Having an area like 39th St.'s rest. row as a destination can work well, but there is a critical mass where at some point there are too many. And most are survivng only on lunch business.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

That was quick - Rumi is already being replaced.  Construction is in progress and a new sign says "Aladdin Cafe: Mediterranean/Greek Cuisine."  The "cuisine" on the sign means it will be a fancy restaurant.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

dangerboy wrote:   The "cuisine" on the sign means it will be a fancy restaurant.
I usually prefer to eat my gyro/kebab by hand as opposed to fine china.  :lol:  That does sound like it should be a good addition and I would think a medeteranian joint would get all the med center lunch business it can handle. 
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

I think 39th Street W will be fine.
I lived there last year and noticed most places were busy on Weekend Nights and the weekday lunch hour.
Here's a recent anecdote - I was at Gilhouley's at 39th and Bell briefly on Friday Night, before going to screenland to watch The Big Lebowski.  While there and unbeknownst to me, my mom was across the street with friends at Genghis Kahn (they also went to Prospero's and bought a couple books), my girlfriend was at Jazz at 39th and State Line with her sister, and a friend was on a date at Blue Koi at 39th and Bell.  I'm sure there is more - but West 39th street is not going anywhere soon as a destination.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I think the "destination" thing is dependent upon a strong presence of "other" stuff.  It isn't a critical mass of restaurants that can sustain a destination, since you really are only going to eat at one restaurant anyway.  It is the feel of the neighborhood and the other unique places you can stop, like Prospero's, that are going to keep people coming.  It needs to be a restaurant in a destination neighborhood.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

[quote="taxi"]
I lived on 39th for a long time, and know most of the rest. owners. Lots of info on this thread is untrue. Room 39 does not turn them away, except maybe for 1/2 hour during lunchtime. January was a difficult month for every rest. in town, and poor Macaluso's was not able to recover.
Also, Rumi had one of the best rental deals in town. [quote]

You heard what you heard, and I heard what I heard. 
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

You heard what you heard, and I heard what I heard. 
[/quote]

I know the old guy who owns the building. He lives in the house that is behind and attached to what was Rumi. When they needed more space, he gave them his living room (which of course included an increase in rent).
His rental rates are as low as 1/2 of what many 39th St. spaces are renting for.
"Hit it, lick it, split it and quit it." -James Brown
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

I love the 39th Street corridor, and live just south of there.  I have been concerned about the restaraunt closings/turnover for quite a while, and decided that the area really needs a unique event to bring crowds.  Anyone else think it would be cool to have a "taste of Kansas City" weekend or series of weekends, kind of like Chicago does, where the street is closed off and all the restaurants have outdoor tasting booths?  Westport and Plaza have art fairs, Crossroads has FF.  39th needs something of its own to attract new visitors and continue to develop its identity.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Awesome idea.  Why don't you write the 39th West business association and suggest that.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

This is truly sad.  Rumi and Adis Abbaba were two of my favorite restaurants and were definitely on my list of "must eat" places next time I'm back in town.

However, they did replace the last two Mediterranean and Ethiopian places to close down on 39th (Tribal Grill and Blue Nile).  Hopefully we'll get new options. 

Rumi was the only Greek worth eating after Mediterranean Cafe closed (which coincidentally was replaced by Ethiopian (Nigat) that is not as good as Adis Abbaba).
mayor_of_waldo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by mayor_of_waldo »

eclair wrote: 39th needs something of its own to attract new visitors and continue to develop its identity.
How about a giant faris wheel, like the London Eye? SG.

No, I do think a street fair/ block party would work well in that location.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

I think I will- thanks for the suggestion.  If anyone has any thoughts on it, please let me know and I will include them in the letter.  I think it would be an awsome event.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Joyce Smith has a couple of updates on 39th...

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 956455.htm

The chef from Macaluso's is opening an American restaurant in the same venue, with some renovations.  Also, Circe is relocating when their lease is up.  No word on location, but they say they want to be closer to the old folks from Brookside and Mission Hills.
rigatonicarloni
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by rigatonicarloni »

yes I read tha too and go Scott!  may the force be with you!!!
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Another update from Joyce.  Cheeseheads in the Crossroads are putting in a wine bar in the Addis Aba spot.  The rumors of 39th Street's demise are greatly exaggerated.
The owners of Cheesehead Homemade Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwiches will open a second concept on 39th Street’s restaurant row.

Spitfire Grill & Wine Bar at 1809 W. 39th St., will offer 20 red wines and 20 white wines for $20 a bottle. Dining will include prime rib, cherry-grilled pork tenderloin, rotisserie chicken, maple-infused salmon, and cheese plates paired with wines by the glass.

The lunch menu will include some of the gourmet cheese sandwiches offered at Cheesehead.

A seven-foot rotisserie will serve as a centerpiece of the dining room. Spitfire should open in early May.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

what space is 1809 W. 39th?
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Like I said....  Addis Aba :)