wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by WSPanic »

Is Q39 the branding for the BBQ spot in the market, or something completely different?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WSPanic wrote:Is Q39 the branding for the BBQ spot in the market, or something completely different?
Completely different. It is a new BBQ spot in the shopping center where Peanches was located. The guy in the new market is Johnny's or something like that.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Q39 opening Saturday. I was invited to a soft opening lunch yesterday but wasn't able to make it. :(
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Got to sample Q39 last Friday night.

The space looks great - no indication it used to be a Chinese buffet. I believe the Arizona-based design firm that was behind Urban Table and Gram & Dun also did this space. A similar vibe, but much more clean and simple. It's got a fair amount of seating, including a nice room in the back that I assume can be closed off for private functions.

Our server said absolutely everything is made in house, including their own sausage. We sampled the brisket and pulled pork and both were very good. The meat was nice and lean and well cooked. I might have liked a tad more smoke flavor, but really good. 3 of their 4 sauces were available for sampling. A little thinner in consistency than most KC-style sauces. They complemented the meat nicely. Quality of everything offered was top notch, as was the service (although somewhat limited due to buffet-style serving).

I certainly look forward to going back to sample more of the extensive menu. In addition to typical BBQ fare, they have a selection of appetizers, burgers, and grilled entrees likes steaks and salmon. I recall they even have a couple salads. So a little something for everyone. However, the prices certainly tend towards the high end - as much or more than Okie Joe's or Jack Stack. Burgers were about $10 with their burnt end burger coming in at $12. "Regular" 1 meat BBQ sandwiches were $7-9, with some gussied up sandwiches even higher. A full slab of ribs is a whopping $28 and 12 oz. steaks were in the $30 neighborhood.

A selection of BLVD and Tall Grass brews on tap. A pint of BLVD Wheat was just a hair over $6 with tax.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Went to Q39 for lunch today. Great looking space, a little surprising they invested this much in a strip mall that really should be torn down. Had a Carolina pulled pork with slaw on top and side of potato salad - I agree about lack of smoky flavor (I was going to check if they have a pit in rear of building but forgot to, I'm guessing not based on flavor). We were asked 8 times by 3 people if everything OK, a bit overwhelming but servers/staff tend to be green when place first opens. Menu way too complicated - server had to come back 3 times to verify which items. This place is trying too hard.

Food is solid but on the frou frou side for BBQ (moreso than Jack Stack) and prices to go with it - $16+ for lunch/tip a bit much for this. Guess they need to make up for the modo handsome makeover of the space. Midtown needed good BBQ and this place delivers, but for a price. The bar area is setup for what could be fun high energy on weekends - that happens to have pricey BBQ.

Might be more fitting if located in Martini Corner with young professionals than the raw downbeat vibe of w39th with those post-beat self-ordained intellectuals and nihilists and those with new age orbs on their porches, spending half the night in a diner babbling rhetoric where no sophist has gone before, bout someone like borroughs, as if there were something there to understand or appreciate. For the old man of letters, embalmed in cats and roses. (hit the wine bottle early tonite).

Overall, somethin' just aint not no right about BBQ that tries to lean towards dining. All of it can be fixed by stepping it down a notch or 3 and focus on fewer items for reasonable quid.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

Alright, I heard about the Rieger Whiskey deal opening in the East Bottoms awhile before it was publicized. Forgot to post. However, I don't know that this has been posted up nor publicized: 39th street news.
The Twisted Sister Boutique is retiring and giving Exile Tattoo that spot.
Exile can expand and employ the artists stranded by the Peeping Tom fiasco at Freaks' Troost franchise.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:Alright, I heard about the Rieger Whiskey deal opening in the East Bottoms awhile before it was publicized. Forgot to post. However, I don't know that this has been posted up nor publicized: 39th street news.
The Twisted Sister Boutique is retiring and giving Exile Tattoo that spot.
Exile can expand and employ the artists stranded by the Peeping Tom fiasco at Freaks' Troost franchise.
Peeping Tom fiasco?
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

Demosthenes wrote:Peeping Tom fiasco?
http://www.pitch.com/kansascity/freaks- ... id=4160979
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So Exile would keep the current building AND expand into Twisted Sister or just move into Twisted Sister?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

A liquor store has opened in the former location of the liquor store that moved to the NE corner of 39th/State Line (in new apartment building), taking over the entire building, including the old Mama's space. The liquor store in the new apartment building is poorly executed and a huge missed opportunity to add a NY-style deli/market to the area, but maybe the Jon Russell BBQ addition will help. Still another liquor store (albeit larger) a block away is a frustrating misuse of the building.
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

I’ll say it’s frustrating. Given the new liquor store’s selection and resultant clientele, the daily empties on our property have increased in frequency and number (which I’ve kvetched about over in Urban Living). But that’s not my biggest issue.

The new store, which is run by the building’s owner, seems to be fueled by spite rather than a solid business plan or concern for the neighborhood. It could hold the inventory in a third of the space, but I suspect she’s had no luck in renting that strip out to anyone else, so she’s using what was going to sit empty anyway.

I talked to the proprietor, who said she’s had several reasonable offers for the property but doesn’t want to sell to someone who’s going to put up another building like the one on 39th/State Line (a building that I consider an asset to the hood, by the way, and I am happy with its liquor store, although the fresh food is hit and miss). She seems to believe that she’s doing “historic Volker” a great favor by keeping her seedy little strip intact. I would differ on that point.

I like liquor as much as the next person. Maybe even more. But I see absolutely no need for another package store in the three blocks between Mr. Z’s and 39th/State Line.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I agree with everything posted auntbigdog. Hopefully a high enough offer comes around to persuade the owner to part with the building. She is clearly doing a disservice to the neighborhood, and, like you, I am a fan of having a liquor store in the hood and enjoy more than my fair share of drinking.
WinchesterMysteryHouse
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by WinchesterMysteryHouse »

kcjak wrote:So Exile would keep the current building AND expand into Twisted Sister or just move into Twisted Sister?
The former.

I was just employed around 39th, and observed its a combination of college dropouts and collegiate overachievers.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The story I heard in Prospero's last week was that the liquor store at Bell & 39th had had it's license revoked because of inaccuracies on the application. It was still open then, not sure if it's actually closed yet.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

WinchesterMysteryHouse wrote:
kcjak wrote:So Exile would keep the current building AND expand into Twisted Sister or just move into Twisted Sister?
The former.

I was just employed around 39th, and observed its a combination of college dropouts and collegiate overachievers.
I have observed many college dropout overachievers and collegiate slackers.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Sign in the window of the former Latin Bistro space says Sultan's Bakery coming soon.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The Volker Neighborhood Assn newsletter said that the owners of the Drunken Worm will expand into the Kansas Town spot with a bar that features live music, trivia nights and comfort food.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Artego Pizza coming soon to 900 W. 39th (Q39 strip mall).

http://www.artegopizza.com/
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

smh wrote:Artego Pizza coming soon to 900 W. 39th (Q39 strip mall).

Is this replacing that downtown pizza place that was suppose to be opening there?
Last edited by brewcrew1000 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
smh wrote:Artego Pizza coming soon to 900 W. 39th (Q39 strip mall).

I this replacing that downtown pizza place that was suppose to be opening there?
Couldn't say. Just noticed that Artego had applied for a liquor license and then found the website.