wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by kcjak »

I stand corrected - I've also heard raves about Bob Wasabi and looking forward to going. But I won't be back to Meatball District (awful service, small overcooked meatballs, limited menu, etc.). Just seems like for every Hi Dive there is a Meatball District or second-hand goods store; for every Bob Wasabi there's a failed opportunity in the 39th St Market or Goodwill Surplus.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

kcjak wrote:I stand corrected - I've also heard raves about Bob Wasabi and looking forward to going. But I won't be back to Meatball District (awful service, small overcooked meatballs, limited menu, etc.). Just seems like for every Hi Dive there is a Meatball District or second-hand goods store; for every Bob Wasabi there's a failed opportunity in the 39th St Market or Goodwill Surplus.
I agree, the Corner Grocery store is a huge failure that could have so much potential.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote:I stand corrected - I've also heard raves about Bob Wasabi and looking forward to going. But I won't be back to Meatball District (awful service, small overcooked meatballs, limited menu, etc.). Just seems like for every Hi Dive there is a Meatball District or second-hand goods store; for every Bob Wasabi there's a failed opportunity in the 39th St Market or Goodwill Surplus.
Artego is another one I don't like. Tried it a few times, and it was never a good experience.

I'm actually surprised Thomas has made it as long as it has. Great rooftop patio, but not much else I like about the place.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Can confirm Meatball District is very "meh". I really thought it was going to be fast casual, which I think would work a lot better for them being so close to KU Med. I also agree that the meatballs were quite small for a place specializing in meatballs....
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

WSPanic wrote:
Artego is another one I don't like. Tried it a few times, and it was never a good experience.

I'm actually surprised Thomas has made it as long as it has. Great rooftop patio, but not much else I like about the place.
I've hard Artego once (delivery) and I thought it was pretty darn good. Probably better than any other pizza delivery in Midtown, in my opinion.

And yes, Bob Wasabi lives up to the hype. Hands down the best sushi I've had in KC.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I ate there a week after they had opened and my meatballs were undercooked. I get that maybe the staff was just too fresh and inexperienced but how is it even possible to undercook a meatball??
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

JBmidtown wrote:I ate there a week after they had opened and my meatballs were undercooked. I get that maybe the staff was just too fresh and inexperienced but how is it even possible to undercook a meatball??
I can attest that the problems haven't been fixed. We waited 45 minutes for food in a half-empty restaurant only to receive overcooked meatballs...they were smaller than ping pong balls. My partner got meatballs on pasta and when he asked for bread they acted like he was asking for a trip to the moon. A showcase where you could meatballs and sauce to go would've also been a good idea.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Artego is our new go to for pizza delivery, never been inside it though. Their pizza with Scimeca sausage is great.
Meatball district was *good* when I went there, but the meatballs were so tiny. It was the first time I've gone out to eat where everyone I went with ended up ordering seconds.
Was at Thomas recently. Cool place but horrible service. Waitress never checked in on us after we got our food, had to pull someone else aside just to pay. My steak was WAY over-done, I would have sent it back if someone would have checked in on us.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

mykn wrote:Artego is our new go to for pizza delivery, never been inside it though. Their pizza with Scimeca sausage is great.
Meatball district was *good* when I went there, but the meatballs were so tiny. It was the first time I've gone out to eat where everyone I went with ended up ordering seconds.
Was at Thomas recently. Cool place but horrible service. Waitress never checked in on us after we got our food, had to pull someone else aside just to pay. My steak was WAY over-done, I would have sent it back if someone would have checked in on us.
Disinterested service at Thomas drove me away years ago.
mykn

Post by mykn »

It's too bad, ever since moving to Midtown we've been looking for a place like that. We used to live near Charisse and went there often. Even if you were a first timer they treated you exceptionally well. The chef/owner would always come around and offer something special that he had made.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I've always had good food at Artego, but figured they wouldn't last after the feud between the owners. Service was always off when we've gone in to sit down, but the owner who is always there goes out of his way with free food, discounts, etc. to make up for it.

Thomas is never an option for us after a horrible experience years ago. I honestly can't believe it's still open. We used to go to Room 39 for great steak - I'm glad to see that place still doing well.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

mykn wrote:It's too bad, ever since moving to Midtown we've been looking for a place like that. We used to live near Charisse and went there often. Even if you were a first timer they treated you exceptionally well. The chef/owner would always come around and offer something special that he had made.
Can confirm. Had nothing but great service at Charisse.
KCtoBrooklyn wrote:And yes, Bob Wasabi lives up to the hype. Hands down the best sushi I've had in KC.
You may want to check out Sushi Uni in Lenexa sometime. Bob Wasabi is the only place I've been to on that level. I've only been to Bob Wasabi once, but I still give the nod to Sushi Uni for best I've had in KC. To date, Sushi Uni is the only place I drive to on a regular basis outside of the River through Plaza area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

I will give Artego another shot at delivery. I go to Caddyshack for good pizza these days.

Looking forward to the new pizza place in Nichols spot. Can never have too much good pizza.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I wasn't a fan of Artego, way too much dough and the toppings were pretty skimpy. I guess i'm more into a thinner dough, heavy on the cheese and toppings
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WSPanic wrote: I go to Caddyshack for good pizza these days.
How does that work? Do you order it there, then trade it to someone who has good pizza?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chingon wrote:
How does that work? Do you order it there, then trade it to someone who has good pizza?
You shut your whore mouth.

Seriously - there's something addictive about their pizza - sweeter sauce, thinner crust and lots of toppings.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

WSPanic wrote:
chingon wrote:
You shut your whore mouth.

Seriously - there's something addictive about their pizza - sweeter sauce, thinner crust and lots of toppings.
I think it's better if you ask for light on the sauce.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

taxi wrote: You shut your whore mouth.

I think it's better if you ask for light on the sauce.[/quote]

"Sauce"
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

My pizza got sauce (your pizza ain't sweet like mine).
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Yeah, I'll take a slice of Little Walter's pizza.