wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by chrizow »

Rumi, Addis Ababa, Macaluso's, and rumors of Circe - closing. 

what's going on here?  i know that 39th has seen its share of restaurant closures, but this seems like a lot to me.  are rents being jacked up?  too much competition?  the rise of alternatives (Xroads, downtown, etc)?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: Rumi, Addis Ababa, Macaluso's, and rumors of Circe - closing. 

what's going on here?  i know that 39th has seen its share of restaurant closures, but this seems like a lot to me.  are rents being jacked up?  too much competition?  the rise of alternatives (Xroads, downtown, etc)?
So what restaurants remain?  Are the ones that are shutting their doors closing due to lack of business or for other reasons?

If it is competition, that would be a bad omen with the opening of the P&L District just around the corner.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

Discussing this with a couple of 39th street biz owners last nite, they offered the belief it's the continued development of chain food, especially in far reaches of burbs.  The trip to the city for a meal and a night is being replaced by a short drive to 135th/151st/Blackbob/Barry Road/Legends/40 highway.

They also offered that it's likely a continued fallout of money going to the boats, sucking out other entertainment $.

Interestingly, they feel that Cordish is going to help get people back to the city, providing incentive and changing patterns.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

So what restaurants remain?  Are the ones that are shutting their doors closing due to lack of business or for other reasons?

If it is competition, that would be a bad omen with the opening of the P&L District just around the corner.
There are many restaurants left - Jazz, Room 39, Saigon, Friends, Blue Koi, D'Bronx, Genghis Kahn, Minsky's, Thomas (not sure if this is doing well or not), Fric/Frac, Bell St. Mamas - I'm sure there are more.

I don't think the P&L will have any effect on this. The P&L are destination/tourist restaurants. The Plaza is much closer to this are and it hasn't been hurt by that.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd say nothing out of the ordinary.  Such is the life of the independent restaurant scene.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Don't forget Hannah / Qdoba...

I think part of the problem is that there are just too many restaurants right there. The market is saturated, and the surrounding neighborhood isn't nearly dense enough to support it. That part of Volker is almost entirely single family homes on large lots, with a few 3-story six-plexes. That area would be perfect for rowhomes or more apartments, but there's just nowhere to put them.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Anything currently on 39th street anywhere near the quality of Cafe Allegro?  That was the one I was sick about as it was my favorite spot in KC.  I really liked Kiki's Bon Ton Maison also.  :(
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote: I'd say nothing out of the ordinary.  Such is the life of the independent restaurant scene.
agreed.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Room 39 has to turn people away. Genghis Khan, d'bronx and Blue Koi still have great crowds. I think its an anomaly those restaurants are closing.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Mom's usually is jammed, but Jazz often is three-quarters-empty.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Or one quarters full, depending on your point of view!

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

hmm, most of those you mentioned chriz i always wondered how they would survive as i would hit 39th once or twice a week for a while and there would be one or two other tables occupied at most (many times...especially addis ababa...)
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Jazz is usually 90% full when I am there, which is quite often.  I don't think there is any big trend on 39th.  Independents come and go all the time.  And in the case of Rumi and Macaluso's it sounds like the owners were just ready to move on to other ventures.  No one has provided any details on the reasons Addis Ababa or Circe might be closing.

Newer places like Taj Palace, Pangea, or Blue Koi are going strong, and Miami Ice is set to open this summer. Most of the long-time institutions like d'Bronx, Fric and Frac, or Ghengis Khan are going strong.  Perhaps one of the closings will give Pangea an opportunity to move west where the action is.

Qdoba's closing doesn't mean anything for 39th St.  Several other Qdoba's have also closed, and chains usually don't do well on 39th anyway.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

What is Miami Ice and where is it located?

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCMax wrote: What is Miami Ice and where is it located?
It's to the right of Fric & Frac. I don't know what kind of place it will be though.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

KCMax wrote: What is Miami Ice and where is it located?
It's a new desert/ice cream shop that Fric & Frac is building across the street to the east, in the old carpenter's workshop.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Ah, I had noticed that space. Good to see something will be filling it.

Hopefully the buildings for Macaluso's, Cafe Rumi, Circe and Addis Abba don't sit vacant for very long. If the restaurant market there is a bit saturated, what kind of business do you think could make it? Some sort of retail?

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

loftguy wrote: Discussing this with a couple of 39th street biz owners last nite, they offered the belief it's the continued development of chain food, especially in far reaches of burbs.  The trip to the city for a meal and a night is being replaced by a short drive to 135th/151st/Blackbob/Barry Road/Legends/40 highway.
Exurban chain restaurants must be a new thing.

People in Blue Springs aren't going to Red Robin or Carraba's instead of W. 39th-- no matter how good it sounds to the ears of an indie restaurant.

Isn't retail/restaurant a very tough business to begin with? Add in the fact that W 39th's market is foodie types who are probably quick to cut strings considering the amount of competition in the metro/city.

Instead of constantly vilifying some outside force for taking out a retail/restaurant establishment, maybe it's time the autopsy started internally.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I'd guess there are more than enough people in KCK/Midtown/Downtown/Plaza/Brookside to patronize 39th street that not much of the 39th street clientele hails from Olathe or Blue Springs.

catfish1812
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by catfish1812 »

Miami Ice = horrible name

But, if it is good ice cream I will stop caring.
you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows