wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: wtf is happening to w. 39th?!

Post by town cow »

The Zoo. And the Blasters. Los Lobos. Fools Face. Joe "King" Carrasco and the Crowns. And many many blues acts...
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I can understand, based on interacting with him here, why some people don't like Pete. I don't think he's the massive asshole the haters claim, though. He just tells it like he sees it, right or wrong, without pulling punches. I can't say that everyone, or even anyone, who whines about their experience at Peanches are assholes, but I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that people who go to restaurants and act like assholes are not used to being told they're acting like assholes and getting kicked out! Seems to me that's kind of a shame. Some customers aren't right, and do not deserve to be treated with meek, apologetic obsequiousness.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

The food was damn good.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So yet another restaurant is going in to the location on the SW corner of 39th/Genessee - this is the larger half of the space next to High Dive that was split into two, with a mexican cafe in the smaller portion. I think the sign in the window said something like Kansas Town.

The fact that the signs were hand-written on 8x10 by what looked like a 10-year-old doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Kansas Town is now open in the old Macaluso's spot

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... s-tomorrow
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The building next to Missie B's has been undergoing a lot of work lately and looks nice after they took the metal sheeting off of the north facade. Noticed today that they've reinforced the ceiling with metal girders and the west wall facing the parking lot has 3-4 large openings, similar to what you might see at an automotive service station. Anyone have details on this place? For sale sign still up, so not sure if anything is a done deal.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

kcjak wrote:The building next to Missie B's has been undergoing a lot of work lately and looks nice after they took the metal sheeting off of the north facade. Noticed today that they've reinforced the ceiling with metal girders and the west wall facing the parking lot has 3-4 large openings, similar to what you might see at an automotive service station. Anyone have details on this place? For sale sign still up, so not sure if anything is a done deal.
The open remodel permit is a doozy: http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... id=1546474
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Owner appears to be Del Hedgepath. Among his qualities and titles are: nefarious bad club owner, evil landlord, notorious developer, commander of blight for Norman School, etc.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

taxi wrote:Owner appears to be Del Hedgepath. Among his qualities and titles are: nefarious bad club owner, evil landlord, notorious developer, commander of blight for Norman School, etc.
I drove by Friday evening. There's a huge amount of work being done to the exterior. Most of the west side of the building is being opened up. All of the steel going in makes it look like an Abnos job.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Was over on 39th last week and there was a small bar open between High Dive and Kansas Town. I didn't even notice the name, but it looked pleasant.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The new bar between Kansas Town and High Dive is called something like Drunken Worm - I'm guessing a tequila bar? It's in an impossibly small space but Saturday night when we drove past it was hopping.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... treet-west

Looks like the Drunken Worm is ready to go. Man this stretch of 39th has become a booze hound's dream. Changed so much in just a year.

Drunken Worm looks like the kind of place you go to get so hammered that you wake up the next day in a jail cell covered in your own vomit and piss. I like it.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

39th Street Market (in the new apartment building north of Jazz) now has a local BBQ owner operating the food counter. Can't remember the name, but hope they pull some business in - the space is nice, but I can't help but feel this ended up being a huge missed opportunity. With the hospital so close, how could anyone miss with some bakery items, decent prepared/to-go food, fresh flowers, etc. You know, like a MARKET.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Demosthenes wrote:http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... treet-west

Looks like the Drunken Worm is ready to go. Man this stretch of 39th has become a booze hound's dream. Changed so much in just a year.

Drunken Worm looks like the kind of place you go to get so hammered that you wake up the next day in a jail cell covered in your own vomit and piss. I like it.
Daves Stagecoach is feeing threatened. Maybe Drunke Worm can jus be the kind of place you find yourself found wedged between the toilet and the wall covered in everyone elses.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

kcjak wrote:39th Street Market (in the new apartment building north of Jazz) now has a local BBQ owner operating the food counter. Can't remember the name, but hope they pull some business in - the space is nice, but I can't help but feel this ended up being a huge missed opportunity. With the hospital so close, how could anyone miss with some bakery items, decent prepared/to-go food, fresh flowers, etc. You know, like a MARKET.
http://www.recommendeddaily.co/jon-russ ... their-bbq/
auntbigdog
Pad site
Pad site

Post by auntbigdog »

chaglang wrote:
taxi wrote:Owner appears to be Del Hedgepath. Among his qualities and titles are: nefarious bad club owner, evil landlord, notorious developer, commander of blight for Norman School, etc.
I drove by Friday evening. There's a huge amount of work being done to the exterior. Most of the west side of the building is being opened up. All of the steel going in makes it look like an Abnos job.
It'll be individual storefronts, apparently:
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/06/48 ... -39th.html
Not sure I would call that the *corner* of SW Trafficway -- I doubt anyone speeding north/south will have any idea it's there.
Repete
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Repete »

looks like Q39 is getting ready to open should fit in well on 39th. Wish him luck. Downtown pizza should be going into my old spot looks like its the chef from Torres pizza and one of the small partners from the Jacobson Joe Perez. I still hear crap about the name I chose for Peanches, (to rest the troubled minds that couldn't think outside of the box) it was my second pick. I tried to pick a name for the nay-Sayers but MC Donald's was already taken.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Repete wrote:looks like Q39 is getting ready to open should fit in well on 39th. Wish him luck. Downtown pizza should be going into my old spot looks like its the chef from Torres pizza and one of the small partners from the Jacobson Joe Perez. I still hear crap about the name I chose for Peanches, (to rest the troubled minds that couldn't think outside of the box) it was my second pick. I tried to pick a name for the nay-Sayers but MC Donald's was already taken.
Joyce Smith says Q39 will open in April.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Repete wrote:looks like Q39 is getting ready to open should fit in well on 39th. Wish him luck. Downtown pizza should be going into my old spot looks like its the chef from Torres pizza and one of the small partners from the Jacobson Joe Perez. I still hear crap about the name I chose for Peanches, (to rest the troubled minds that couldn't think outside of the box) it was my second pick. I tried to pick a name for the nay-Sayers but MC Donald's was already taken.
Should have gone with McDowell's.