Blogs about KC visits

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Blogs about KC visits

Post by KCPowercat »

Here is a review of a Nebraska resident's trip to KC.

http://kellpattsblog.blogspot.com/2006/ ... -come.html

Post anymore reviews you can find on the net here.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Blogs about KC visits

Post by KCK »

I read a really funny one from someone in Seattle.

http://seahawks.scout.com/2/586275.html
[quote]
Week Eight: Report from a Red State
Whether you believe my gimmick, dismiss it as phony bravado, or deduce its some how my overcompensation for inadequacies as a man; there’s no debating that early in my existence, my maturity level wouldn’t be fit for a Seahawks road game.

For reasons unknown to me, my smirk, swagger, attitude, and mouth lend themselves to contempt from others. Undoubtedly, if I were behind enemy lines, in someone else’s “houseâ€
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

http://devnulled.com/content/2006/05/th ... nsas-city/

Excerpt: "Downtown KC actually reminds me a lot of Downtown Denver in the 80’s before all of the redevelopment happened. Seems like it has a lot of potential, but no one really seems to live downtown, and there are a lot of cool abandoned buildings."
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

Tanner's and the Waffle House. Great trip...
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Why exactly did the author think Tanners was downtown?

Also the author commented

"The downtown looks a lot like Portland, Oregon, sans a few multiple story buildings and everything being constructed out of brick over timber."

KCK IS BACK!!!!
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Stockton »

KCK wrote: Why exactly did the author think Tanners was downtown?

Also the author commented

"The downtown looks a lot like Portland, Oregon, sans a few multiple story buildings and everything being constructed out of brick over timber."
There's a Tanner's on Broadway.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I wish I could find that blog from a few years ago, before KCI started adding restrooms at the gates. Some guy blogged about his kid having to crap his pants because boarding was about to start.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

to be fair...I find most people that blog to be whiny people that like to complain about most things...hence they blog about them.

GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

KCPowercat wrote: to be fair...I find most people that blog to be whiny people that like to complain about most things...hence they blog about them.
True, but think about it.

You fly into KC (from the west) and you seriously feel like you are landing in the "middle" of Nebraska or Kansas.  Chances are very good, if you don't know KC or KCI that the airport also feels more like you just landed in Joplin and not a city of 2 mil because he will only see about 200' of the airport and about 5% of the people in the airport vs just the opposite in most other major airports where you funnel past malls etc to common areas. Then he probably took 435 to Front Street where you see nothing but farms till you reach the truck stops, fast food joints and motels of Parvin/Front.  Then you cab over to Arrowhead where the stadiums are very isolated.  You can come in from the north via US 40 and its KCK like ghetto with a rural twist or maybe the cab took one of those short cuts to the stadium via raytown road or something where it looks like the stadiums are buried in the ozarks, redneck homes with chiefs flags flying and all.

Then you spend the next 6 hours with pickup truck driving, camero second car owning, covered in red people that consider the chiefs their lives right next to college sports (at age 40) and nascar.

Ever been to Seattle????

What would you think of KC? :).

Giant hick farm town....And as I just described, KC can be and in many cases is just that.

But, the guy should come back and this time.....

Fly into KC via Atlanta ;).  Because KCI is on the extreme edge of town, when you do fly in from the SE, the city seems absolutely huge, especially at night.  I know that's not logical, but still.

Then take a cab to a hotel in Downtown or the Plaza or Crown Center.  You leave KCI via I-29 and you actually feel like you are in a big city as you make your way from the suburban areas into the city.  Catch a NHL game at Sprint and a play at the Performing arts center, bla bla bla, you guys know all the other things one could do in the urban core of KC that would rival any city out there.

Thing is, most people never see any of that, they see exactly what this person described.

What can you do?

Personally, having visited Seattle many times, under the circumstances this guy saw KC and now views it, I believe he was either trying to be nice in this "blog" or his expectations of KC really were about as low as you can get.

Go Chiefs :)
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCPowercat wrote: to be fair...I find most people that blog to be whiny people that like to complain about most things...hence they blog about them.
I use my blog primarily to complain about my life.

I start threads on this forum when I'm pissed off.  :)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bahua »

I personally think that just about any city can be awesome, with the right attitude. What keeps people from enjoying cities they visit boils down to not knowing where to go, and hanging on to their preconceived notions.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

there are no boring places, just boring travelers.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

A case in point pertaining to this would be my time spent in London versus my time spent in Hong Kong. In London all I did was visit the touristy crap that gets ballyhooed in Frommers or Lonely Planet. In Hong Kong I made a conscious decision to avoid places like HK Disney, and instead just used each day to travel to different parts of the city, the everyday places where the actual HKers dwell. Thus, the Hong Kong visit was far more gratifying.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Tosspot wrote: A case in point pertaining to this would be my time spent in London versus my time spent in Hong Kong. In London all I did was visit the touristy crap that gets ballyhooed in Frommers or Lonely Planet. In Hong Kong I made a conscious decision to avoid places like HK Disney, and instead just used each day to travel to different parts of the city, the everyday places where the actual HKers dwell. Thus, the Hong Kong visit was far more gratifying.
I agree with this to an extent.  Some people have different goals when they travel.  I was in Melbourne once and did the same thing--went to different parts of the city.  After a few days I was getting stir crazy and wanted to just do some hokey stuff.  If I had a job or a life there it would have been different, but there's only so much of moping around the neighborhood with nothing really to do.

But--agreeing with you now--to NOT do that even for a day or two during a trip is a wasted trip.  There's much to learn when traveling.  It's like when folks go to Jamaica and lay on the beach without going off their resort.  It's not always pleasant but you learn and grow from it.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

uh-huh, uh-huh, yeah, uh-huh, uh-huh. I hate blogs.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

beccanator wrote: uh-huh, uh-huh, yeah, uh-huh, uh-huh. I hate blogs.
You should blog about how much you hate blogs.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Tosspot wrote: A case in point pertaining to this would be my time spent in London versus my time spent in Hong Kong. In London all I did was visit the touristy crap that gets ballyhooed in Frommers or Lonely Planet. In Hong Kong I made a conscious decision to avoid places like HK Disney, and instead just used each day to travel to different parts of the city, the everyday places where the actual HKers dwell. Thus, the Hong Kong visit was far more gratifying.
Bear in mind there are a myriad of legitimate things to do in London that come highly recommended by Lonely Planet.  In London, I like to avoid the subways in the center of town while en route from one "attraction" to the next so I can absorb the streetscapes. 

I never get bored visiting most cities, I have only days but could stay weeks.   
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: True, but think about it.

You fly into KC (from the west) and you seriously feel like you are landing in the "middle" of Nebraska or Kansas.  Chances are very good, if you don't know KC or KCI that the airport also feels more like you just landed in Joplin and not a city of 2 mil because he will only see about 200' of the airport and about 5% of the people in the airport vs just the opposite in most other major airports where you funnel past malls etc to common areas. Then he probably took 435 to Front Street where you see nothing but farms till you reach the truck stops, fast food joints and motels of Parvin/Front.  Then you cab over to Arrowhead where the stadiums are very isolated.  You can come in from the north via US 40 and its KCK like ghetto with a rural twist or maybe the cab took one of those short cuts to the stadium via raytown road or something where it looks like the stadiums are buried in the ozarks, redneck homes with chiefs flags flying and all.

Then you spend the next 6 hours with pickup truck driving, camero second car owning, covered in red people that consider the chiefs their lives right next to college sports (at age 40) and nascar.

Ever been to Seattle????

What would you think of KC? :).

Giant hick farm town....And as I just described, KC can be and in many cases is just that.

But, the guy should come back and this time.....

Fly into KC via Atlanta ;).  Because KCI is on the extreme edge of town, when you do fly in from the SE, the city seems absolutely huge, especially at night.  I know that's not logical, but still.

Then take a cab to a hotel in Downtown or the Plaza or Crown Center.  You leave KCI via I-29 and you actually feel like you are in a big city as you make your way from the suburban areas into the city.  Catch a NHL game at Sprint and a play at the Performing arts center, bla bla bla, you guys know all the other things one could do in the urban core of KC that would rival any city out there.

Thing is, most people never see any of that, they see exactly what this person described.

What can you do?

Personally, having visited Seattle many times, under the circumstances this guy saw KC and now views it, I believe he was either trying to be nice in this "blog" or his expectations of KC really were about as low as you can get.

Go Chiefs :)
While this may all be true, I would think anybody that has enough brains to buy an airline ticket and find the gate at the airport would realize that there is more to any city of nearly 2 million than farmland, a football stadium and bar-b-que.  This blog smacks of being pretensious at best and snobbery at worst.  Seattle is nice, no doubt, but it has a gifted physcial setting that has not only helped it but made it what it is.  KC does more than all right for being a city on the Plains far from the trendy climes associated with mountains and the coast.   
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

Seattle really is a much bigger city than KC, with more centralized attractions, better attractions, and a more progressive mindset. That is not to say KC is a backwards hick town, it is just stating fact.

KCK IS BACK!!!!