Kansas City Club

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Kansas City Club

Post by anniewarbucks »

Is the Kansas City Club Downtown still in opperation? I was there about 15 years ago for a wedding reception and never could realy find it since then. I know there is a parking garage on the east side of the street. I think that the actual club was on the 2nd floor of the building and they had a 3rd floor balcony overlooking the dance floor.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Kansas City Club

Post by Tosspot »

Yes, I believe it is still operating, in one form or another. Their signage is still prominent on Baltimore. I don't know many details about the place though.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by kcdcchef »

anniewarbucks wrote: Is the Kansas City Club Downtown still in opperation? I was there about 15 years ago for a wedding reception and never could realy find it since then. I know there is a parking garage on the east side of the street. I think that the actual club was on the 2nd floor of the building and they had a 3rd floor balcony overlooking the dance floor.
it is down the street now in a building right near 9th and baltimore, in the old university club building. they actually merged with the university club, in a four story building. the old kc club is now loft apartments/condos.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

I just went to the old site last week checking out spaces for work. It's called The Clubhouse on Baltimore.  They've been there about 4 years. They do banquet stuff. Weddings, meetings, fundraising events, etc. All the different rooms are pretty cool. Old school, dark wood, stained glass, tile work, etc.

You can check it out here...

www.theclubhouseonbaltimore.com
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Thats the one I thought it was Thanks Kucer. Lock this thread up its been answerd
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

kcdcchef wrote: it is down the street now in a building right near 9th and baltimore, in the old university club building. they actually merged with the university club, in a four story building. the old kc club is now loft apartments/condos.
The merged location is just north of the library garage, in the shadow of the aquila building. 
smitherton
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by smitherton »

Is there not an athletic gym in the place? I thought I saw tredmills and other work out paraphernalia in the window.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

So with the demise of Club Marriott I am looking for a new gym in the RM/CBD area. I really want a place with an indoor pool, but other than that is the Kansas City Club a viable option?

I know membership is exclusive and by invitation only but how much so?  Anyone have any experience?
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

tella100 wrote: So with the demise of Club Marriott I am looking for a new gym in the RM/CBD area. I really want a place with an indoor pool, but other than that is the Kansas City Club a viable option?

I know membership is exclusive and by invitation only but how much so?  Anyone have any experience?

And yes I know that Club Marriott shut down about a year ago, so my work out needs must not be that pressing  :D
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

tella100 wrote: I know membership is exclusive and by invitation only but how much so?  Anyone have any experience?
I'm guessing that if you don't already know someone who is a member, you are still a ways off from being considered.  I may just be making that up, but I think the first step is to become friends with a current member.  I doubt anyone would sponsor a complete stranger.  Keep in mind, this place does not let you wear sneakers inside that you were wearing on the street.
Kerabatsos
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Kerabatsos »

I'm a member there, and while you do have to be sponsored, it's not nearly as exclusive as that makes it seem. If you don't know any members but you're interested, shoot me a message and I can get you info. Assuming you're not on the Charlie Sheen drug with magic and poetry in your fingertips, there won't be many issues.
It's not the end of civilization, but you can see it from there.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

The former KC Club, now lofts (as mentioned above) had an indoor pool (I believe there is still one for residents). The merged KC/University club has a health room but no pool.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Kerabatsos wrote: I'm a member there, and while you do have to be sponsored, it's not nearly as exclusive as that makes it seem.
Good to know.  I take back my previous statement.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Mark Twain tower has a pool as well, since it used to be the Kansas City Athletic Club.
There is no fifth destination.
tella100
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tella100 »

FangKC wrote: The Mark Twain tower has a pool as well, since it used to be the Kansas City Athletic Club.
Is the mark twain tower an open to the public health club?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

FangKC wrote: The Mark Twain tower has a pool as well, since it used to be the Kansas City Athletic Club.
Have they re-habbed that pool in the last six or seven years? I worked in that building until around 2005 or 2006 - and there was a pool structure on the 7th/8th floors - but it was nowhere near functioning at that point. There was always talk about turning it into additional office space.

There's a also a close-to-full-length basketball court on the 9th floor, I believe.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

WSPanic wrote:
There's a also a close-to-full-length basketball court on the 9th floor, I believe.
Is any of that stuff still functional?  I remember going to the KCAC with my dad when I was kid when I was on school vacation.  He would play bball up on the 9th floor during his lunch break and I would sometimes play as well when I got a bit older. 

WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

KC-wildcat wrote: Is any of that stuff still functional?  I remember going to the KCAC with my dad when I was kid when I was on school vacation.  He would play bball up on the 9th floor during his lunch break and I would sometimes play as well when I got a bit older. 

When I was there, the basketball court was still usable - but not great. It was wood with a LOT of dead spots. But, still functional (especially for free if you were in the building).
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
mlind
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mlind »

My grandfather was a member of both the Kansas City Club and the University Club. There was a large swimming pool on the top floor (I think) of the KC Club.  I remember both being lovely old buildings with dark wood, etc. 

There were dining rooms.  Similar clubs had rooms where members could live.  I wonder if both clubs had those.
moosnsqrl
New York Life
New York Life

Post by moosnsqrl »

I had lunch and/or cocktails there 1-2 week around the time WSPanic was working in the Twain Tower. I always liked the environment there (odd, given my disdain for most of the members 8)) and honestly the food was pretty good and reasonable, if not cutting edge. The food operations were sadly not patronized by many members at the time - maybe that explains why I liked it - we were often the only diners/revelers. The manager was a decent sort from Australia and seemed genuinely interested in doing anything to encourage patronage.

We would often go have a couple of cocktails after a long day and end up in the room with the grand piano where my colleague would entertain the staff with everything from dirges to Elton John. And maybe *that* explains why no one else was there. :-k

Anyway, now for some real information: http://thekansascityclub.memberstatemen ... 2Fhome.cfm