Fringe Fest 2012 - July 19-29

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Fringe Fest 2012 - July 19-29

Post by earthling »

It's getting bigger every year... larger than MSP and Chicago now in terms of entries. Is it time to make it juried like Chicago (they only allow 50 entries) or throw it all out there?

http://www.kcfringe.org/2012/index.php

Dates: Thursday, July 19 through Sunday, July 29, 2012
Artist Entries: 168
Performances: 459
Running time: All Fringe shows are 60 minutes unless otherwise noted. (There are eleven 90-minute shows.)
2012 is the 8th Anniversary

Tickets: $5 - $10 plus $5 admission button. Passes are available including a $100 Festival Pass for $90 and an All Access Pass for $250. Tickets can be purchased online at kcfringe.org, at the box office 30 minutes before the performance, and at the Fringe 411 Ticket Booth in its new location within the Crown Center Shops. Shops - 1st level Shops, north hallway (corridor into the Westin Hotel). The store is across from the Pen Shop.

Show schedule...
http://www.kcfringe.org/2012/schedule.php
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Fringe Fest 2012 - July 19-29

Post by earthling »

Anyone attending? Will be running every night through next weekend. The attendance seems much higher than last year for the good shows 80% to sold out. But there are some unbelievably bad ones too. I understand it's a chance for newbies to experiment and break out but KC doubled the entries in one year and doesn't seem to have any critical selection process. I wonder if it should be juried with a limit to # of entries like Chicago does (they only allow 50 entries). One show we saw was so poorly executed they should not have been allowed to charge $10 - it could have been passable with some guidance on pacing. At the same time, 80% have been very good and worth the ticket price. We've been attending a couple every day and plan to hit more through next weeked (except for Tenacious D on Tue).

This is also a great chance to see many venues you may have never been to. The KC Ballet center (next to Union Station) has a cool entryway.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Fringe Fest 2018 - July 19-29

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It seems like they never do enough to promote this, the website kind of stinks, i can't figure out a way to filter by venue. I really don't think a lot of people know about this except the art community but I feel like it should be one of the larger events in KC to get people interested in the arts and grow our great arts scene. I love to being able to just walk to a venue and see something for 10 bucks

https://kcfringe.org/performing-arts/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Fringe, Middle of the Map, 18th/Vine Jazz Festival, several film festivals, etc., all suffer from visibility issues, and makes me worried about the new festival in Swope Park suffering the same fate. There are so many great options in the 'art' community, but too often there is no visibility unless you know where to look or there simply is no synergy between events.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if its just due to lack of Corporate sponsors in these events so it prevents them from being able to really market this stuff on a wide scale? Jazz in the Woods which I always thought was successful was cancelled this year due to lack of sponsorship.

I mean KC even does a pretty poor job at marketing its Fourth of July Fireworks, i didn't even know anything existed in KC proper until this year and i've been here 13 years.

I have a feeling New Swope Festival is gonna be a total bust.

Honestly, if it wasn't for Brain McTavish weekend to do list, i wouldn't even know about half of these events
http://kcur.org/people/brian-mctavish#stream/0