Highway bridge in Fairway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Highway bridge in Fairway

Post by Tosspot »

On my Saturday afternoon jaunt through Johnson County today, when at a traffic light in Fairway I noticed yard signs detesting and lamenting some proposed highway overpass or bridge or something proposed for the area. The signs said something about "No to the Fairway bridge" or something along those lines paraphrased.

Anyone know what's going on?
Last edited by Tosspot on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Highway bridge in Fairway

Post by bbqboy »

Can you still walk under highway 50/Johnson Drive/SM Parkway in the Pedestrian Tunnel just west of Belinder? It was great for shooting off firecrackers.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

bbqboy wrote: Can you still walk under highway 50/Johnson Drive/SM Parkway in the Pedestrian Tunnel just west of Belinder? It was great for shooting off firecrackers.
Yes.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Tosspot wrote: On my Saturday afternoon jaunt through Johnson County today, when at a traffic light in Fairway I noticed yard signs detesting and lamenting some proposed highway overpass or bridge or something proposed for the area. The signs said something about "No to the Fairway bridge" or something along those lines paraphrased.

Anyone know what's going on?
This is the Mission Road bridge, just south of SMP, that's due to be replaced later this year or early next, in order to alleviate flooding. There's a number on the signs that you can call for more info. I haven't yet, but I suspect that someone wants more than just a ho-hum highway bridge.
Last edited by KC0KEK on Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robafurd
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Robafurd »

I live very close to this in Fairway so here is the scoop as I have heard it:

The bridge on Mission Road is indeed being replaced; the plan is to make the bridge much larger and to destroy five houses in the area.  The reason the proposed bridge is so large is that the city decided to apply for federal funds and thus the project must be very big to qualify.  The bridge is to be 150' long, or about equal to one of the bridges crossing the un-spruced up parts of Brush Creek.  It would also be raised off the ground considerably more than the current bridge. 

Not sure if this is really going to happen or not.  My information is coming from a flyer that we got yesterday from some concerned neighboorhood group - it was not very clear so this is all I know.  According to the flyer, the current bridge has only been under water twice in the last 30 years.  Building a much fancier bridge and fooling with the creek seems a little unnecessary. 

On another note, I don't know what is up with Fairway's government.  We were supposed to bury our power lines on 63rd Street East of Mission along with Mission Hills, but for some reason Fairway backed out and our power lines are still up in the air.  There has also been a lot of turmoil surrounding the new City Hall building, which has gone through countless revisions so far and no decisions have been made.  As for the bridge... seems like a terrible idea to me.  Tearing down five houses right there would be sacrilege. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Funny, so Fairway wants to tear down houses for both its fancy new City Hall AND its fancy new bridge. 

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Yea, but what do they do with this new city hall after they merge with Mission and Roeland Park?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

GRID wrote: Yea, but what do they do with this new city hall after they merge with Mission and Roeland Park?

When is that scheduled to take place?  :shock:

photoblog. 

Robafurd
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Robafurd »

Tosspot wrote: When is that scheduled to take place?  :shock:
I haven't heard anything about that.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

why would you want to merge all the NE JoCo towns?
It's lends character and a subtle tension to have them all in a rugby scrum.
Those 3 towns didn't get along when I was growing up, and I doubt things are any better now.
Throw Westwood and Westwood Hills in there too.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I'm sure GRID was talking in jest.

photoblog. 

KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Tosspot wrote: When is that scheduled to take place?  :shock:
This idea has been kicking around for years but never has gone beyond the what-if stage. It resurfaced a few months ago -- and was covered in Mike Hendricks' column -- because of the Fairway city hall proposal, which had some people wondering why such a small city needed such a big city hall.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Tosspot wrote: I'm sure GRID was talking in jest.
Yea, I wast just teasing because the idea has been kicked around for decades, I know it has almost no chance of happening though.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Doesn't really sound like a "highway". I had this image of an overpass going over Fairway or something.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KCMax wrote: Doesn't really sound like a "highway". I had this image of an overpass going over Fairway or something.
Going from a 50' to a 150' bridge at the location is quite a bump.

I personally think it's rather ridiculous...I like the bridge like it is and don't see how this thing fits in.  Plus it screws up my bike route.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

I went past the bridge today, and someone put up a series of strings to illustrate the proposed height and length. The height surprised me more than the length. I was driving by rather than walking, but it looked about six feet higher than the current road.
ralfonso
Pad site
Pad site

Post by ralfonso »

Ridiculous.  This would force me to change my bike route as well.  They worked on that bridge for about a month last summer.  Every time I passed I wondered what exactly they were doing.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I saw it today. I can't believe the federal government is helping to build a bridge there, the current bridge looks tiny. When I think federal projects, I think large bridges going over major rivers, not dinky roads going over a stream.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

The bridge as it is today and the streamers showing the height and length of the new bridge.

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator