Highway bridge in Fairway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Highway bridge in Fairway

Post by KC0KEK »

^^ I thnk there's a typo. It should read, "Property Acquisition, bitch."
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

a little bit of old news here... looks like KDOT gave a little ground to homeowners?
In response to City Attorney Chinn’s question, Mr. Johnson confirmed that lowering the
bridge is a compromise from the KDOT existing standard. The matter was discussed
with KDOT and they felt in this particular case it was acceptable. KDOT is looking to
Shafer, Kline and Warren to seal the plans and they are looking to the Stormwater
Management Program for the approval of those plans.
the full minutes (including the 5-page discussion of the bridge item) from the 11/13 council meeting minutes are at http://fairwayks.govoffice2.com/index.a ... 5CE1D52BD2}.
rosedalian
Strip mall
Strip mall

eminent domain in Fairway

Post by rosedalian »

http://www.kansascity.com/148/story/65861.html

Fairway will demolish the house to make way for rebuilding Mission Road bridge.
By SARA STITES
The Kansas City Star
Fairway apparently will get the keys to Matt Walker’s home for $185,000.

Court-appointed appraisers set the value during eminent domain proceedings, and the Fairway City Council voted Monday to cut the check.

Walker’s house, at 5517 Mission Road, is one of five the city needs to demolish to make way for rebuilding the Mission Road bridge, which spans Rock Creek just south of Shawnee Mission Parkway.

The city settled with the other property owners — and is carting away rubble from homes on either side of Walker’s this week.

The city initially offered Walker more money, Mayor John St. Clair said. But when Walker refused what Fairway officials called the most generous offer they could make, the city voted in January to use eminent domain to acquire his property, which is in the flood plain.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: eminent domain in Fairway

Post by KCMax »

Tis a shame. They should really consolidate city services and facilities with other NE JoCo towns rather than destroy these old homes.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: eminent domain in Fairway

Post by jimb »

KCMax wrote: Tis a shame. They should really consolidate city services and facilities with other NE JoCo towns rather than destroy these old homes.
This isn't for the City Hall, but for the new bridge over Brush Creek on Mission Rd.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Doh.

CyDanny
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by CyDanny »

KCMax wrote: Doh.
Hehe, I was gonna say, it's kinda hard to consolidate roads.  :lol:
slimwhitman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by slimwhitman »

It is ashame how this area is starting to look.  I have always loved that modern brick house with the flat roof and I assume that house is scheduled to be razed.  The area will go from a pleasant bend in the road in a residential area, to a faster, duller zone of suburban scale.  I know nothing of the new bridge, but I am sure the 'experience' of traveling through the area will be diminished.  99 of 100 engineers have no understand about "scale" and "aesthetics".

Did anyone notice the house on the SW corner of Mission Road and SM Parkway is FSBO?  The sign says "for commercial use"  I assume this is the owner's way of showing disgust in the changes to the area, and not because the lot can be rezoned to commercial.  Anyone know?
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

slimwhitman wrote: It is ashame how this area is starting to look.  I have always loved that modern brick house with the flat roof and I assume that house is scheduled to be razed.  The area will go from a pleasant bend in the road in a residential area, to a faster, duller zone of suburban scale.  I know nothing of the new bridge, but I am sure the 'experience' of traveling through the area will be diminished.  99 of 100 engineers have no understand about "scale" and "aesthetics".

Did anyone notice the house on the SW corner of Mission Road and SM Parkway is FSBO?  The sign says "for commercial use"  I assume this is the owner's way of showing disgust in the changes to the area, and not because the lot can be rezoned to commercial.  Anyone know?
Agreed. It's looking like shit already. I'm actually starting to have less regret about leaving Fairway.

I don't know about that brick house. I think it's not set to be demolished, but I could be wrong.

I was surprised by the commercial part on the FSBO sign. It must be disgust because I don't remember reading about that plot being rezoned.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

work has begun on the new bridge.  mission is still open for now while utilities are relocated and suwanee road moved south a bit.

update from city's website:
The utility relocation work for the Mission Road Improvement Project has begun! This work will take place over the next few weeks. Upon completion of the utility relocation, the first phase of the project will be to relocate Suwanee Road approximately 50' to the south. Mission Road will remain open during this process. After the relocation of Suwanee, Mission Road will be closed for several months while the contractor removes the old bridge, grades the road, widens the creek channel, and builds the new bridge.

We do not have a date for the closure of Mission Road, but check back frequently for updates.

Once Mission Road is closed, the primary detour will be 63rd Street west to Roe, or East to State Line and then north back to Shawnee Mission Parkway.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Mission closes starting today.  One year.  UGH.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

Related Fairway topic. Not about the bridge for Mission Road, but related to the north-south distributor road to its east, Belinder Road has undergone major changes this week.

The triangle merge for Belinder and State Park Roads has been closed off. Belinder now turns sharply at its southern end into State Park, and drivers must then turn onto State Park to continue toward the ford of Brush Creek into Mission Hills. Meanwhile, that long straightaway on Belinder has also had several speed tables installed. The heavy-duty rubber variety.

Because of its light at SM Pkwy and its onward connections to northbound Mission Road to I-35, Belinder was a popular backup alternative to the Ward Pkwy-Southwest Trafficway mainline for downtown KC/ NE JOCO traffic. That shortcut has been made less effective with the changes to Belinder this week.