OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

pash wrote:If you're just trying to link the two downtowns, a gondola really would work pretty well. ...

But here's my vision for how it should really be done, if you want a streetcar system that links the old urban cores of KCK and KCMO tightly. I also think this routing works extremely well for for KCK, both for transit and development purposes, for what it would cost. And it works well for KCMO, too, if you think the West Bottoms and/or Southwest Boulevard present good investment opportunities.

OK, you ready? Here we go.

Phase 1. KCK finds some money and approaches KCMO about getting in on this streetcar thing. After several years of planning and a dozen public meetings on both sides of the state line, a team of well remunerated consultants presents the locally preferred alternative:
  • KCMO will link the historic core of the West Bottoms to the starter streetcar line in the heart of downtown with a new streetcar line heading west from Main Street along 12th Street, continuing on James Street, to the state line, a distance of 1.4 miles. Utilizing the existing 12th Street Viaduct, the price tag is $70 million.
  • From the terminus of KCMO's new streetcar line on James Street in the West a bottoms, KCK will build a streetcar line continuing along James Street, crossing the Kansas River on the Central Avenue Viaduct Bridge, then continuing along a Central Avenue to Seventh Street. The line will continue north along Sixth Street to Minnesota Avenue, for a total distance of 2.2 miles. Utilizing the existing river crossing, the cost is $110 million.
Thus for an investment in a streetcar line of almost exactly the same distance and cost as KCMO's downtown starter line, KCK gets a streetcar line of its own that connects its downtown through Strawberry Hill and the West Bottoms into downtown KCMO. The Unified Government is excited about all the enormous potential for urban redevelopment on the many vacant parcels along Sixth/Seventh, near the end of the line in the heart of downtown KCK, and along Central Avenue at the intersection with Seventh Street.

KCMO's new Twelfth Street line accelerates the redevelopment of the West Bottoms, brings workers from KCK into downtown KCMO, and presents the opportunity for a future expansion along East Twelfth Street through the East a Village and beyond. ...

Now it's a few years later. People love the new interstate streetcar line. The Unified Government is thrilled to have its first new market-rate apartment buildings popping up along the line south of downtown; admittedly, not everyone is pleased that Strawberry Hill is crawling with hipsters. In the West Bottoms, almost all of the big old buildings that hadn't already been turned into apartments are now being gutted. Several new-construction apartment projects have been announced, including two on the Kansas side of the state line, along James Street on what had been parking for trucks. The Unified Government is secretly working on a plan to wrangle up some STAR bonds to fund the construction of a riverfront park and mixed-use development along both sides of the Kansas River north of the Central Avenue Viaduct.

It's time to expand the streetcar line again. The people are ready. ...

Phase 2A. On the third try, KCMO finally manages to extend its starter line down Main Street to UMKC. (Don't ask.) And the Unified Government, which can't get enough of this streetcar shit, is waiting to pounce. They call up KCMO and say, "Hey, wanna hook up again? How about 39th Street this time?"
  • From the turn in its original line at Seventh and Central, KCK builds a center-running, infrequently stopping streetcar line down Seventh Street, once again crossing the Kansas River on an existing bridge. The line continues into Rosedale on Seventh, turning onto 39th Street to run for a couple of blocks before ending at State Line Road, a total distance of 3.7 miles with a projected cost of $185 million. (It sounds like a lot of money, all Kansans agree, but KU Med offers to shift funding from a planned $60 million garage, which the streetcar link makes obsolete. And the governor of Kansas is a democrat, believe it or not.)
  • KCMO builds an extension along West 39th Street between Main Street and the state line, a distance of 1.1 miles at a cost of $55 million. There was much whining among residents and proprietors of businesses along the line, but by this time they have mostly figured out that a streetcar line nearby is great for property values and great for business, and they vote to extend the Main Street TDD, benefiting from its existing multimillion-dollar surplus. (A parallel vote to build an eastward extension along 39th Street to the Truman Sports Complex fails.)
And all is well with world. Well, almost all. The Mexican joints along Southwest Boulevard are losing business!—everybody is taking the streetcar to El Camino Real and El Pollo Rey! Something must be done!

Phase 2B. It's the obvious thing to do at this point. KCK doesn't even have to pick up the phone. It just sort of happens.
  • KCK builds a new streetcar line along Southwest Boulevard between Seventh Street and the state line, a short hop of just a half mile. Price tag: $25 million.
  • KCMO's 1.8-mile line along Southwest Boulevard is a bit more expensive, at $90 million, but the existing TDD is still in surplus, and the West Side (and developers) are clamoring for it. It's a no-brainer at twice the price.
And voilà. For a total investment by KCK of $320 million, and investments by KCMO in extensions totaling $215 million (plus the cost of the Main Street extension), you get this:

... A generation later, KCK has added extensions westward along Minnesota Avenue and Central Avenue, and has extended its Seventh Avenue line to the north by another three-quarters of a mile. KCMO has even managed to build a couple of short eastward extensions, plus another north-south trunk along a thriving Troost Avenue. ... Sure, a robocar is only a click away, but the streetcar is still often faster and cheaper.

And so a mere century after their grandparents and great grandparents did their best to destroy it, Kansas Citians are thriving in Kansas City. ...
No icon for a standing ovation. So just imagine a standing ovation.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

Will KCMO residents/elected officials get excited about feeding a KCK line when everyone really wants the Plaza first? I could see people voting against sending something to the state line in fear of losing nearer term development to KCK. Maybe we have the unusual privilege of living in an area where political leadership is able to think more than 4 years in advance.

I don't know much about the internal politics, but I wouldn't think the KCMO side will do much to accommodate the KCK side until KCK pays some tax money into a general streetcar plan (not just a plan that builds and runs the KCK operation).
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

I'm pretty ignorant of what is going on in WyCo, but isn't the track record for success there basically rooted in abandoning "lost causes?" I agree with many of the points made above. I think KCK absolutely should focus on its old downtown, that a streetcar would be a great way to help the entire metro move forward, and that people will absolutely cross over to Kansas (and vice versa) if the cities are better connected and coherently developed. But when you say that, at some point, somebody in WyCo is going to have to give the slightest indication they're interested in bringing the streetcar to KCK, I think it can be amended to say they have to give the slightest indication they're interested in reviving downtown KCK.

All of the money and all of the accolades and growth (from what I understand) have come from taking wide swaths of undeveloped land and building brand new, made-to-order, tax-exempt palaces away from crime, poverty, and blight. The benefit of the Unified Government is that there is a lot of room to escape/ignore the biggest problems. I'm not saying your ideas aren't nice, but I'm skeptical that anyone is realistically interested in them. I'm thinking we are more likely to see commuter rail from Lawrence to downtown KCMO before we see a connected streetcar. WyCo will be more likely to get behind connecting KCMO residents to the new shopping mall/Cerner/Sporting than to take a risk on something that is difficult to do.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

pash wrote:(do TDDs even exist in Kansas?)
I'm pretty sure there's one for the parking at Oak Park Mall.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:
pash wrote:(do TDDs even exist in Kansas?)
I'm pretty sure there's one for the parking at Oak Park Mall.
as of last year there were ~35 in the state

http://www.ksrevenue.org/pub1700oct14.html

they're mostly in the KC area
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Anyone know why there hasn't been any progress on the youth soccer complex near the Legends? They moved some dirt around last spring, and there are some construction trailers along Parallel, but that's it. Nothing has happened since. Looks like the emphasis out there is on getting the car dealerships and dairy headquarters projects built (just west of Schlitterbahn). The site for the soccer complex is about un-soccer like as you can imagine, with a lot of trees and rolling terrain. Maybe that's the reason for the delay?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

They just approved stuff for it.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

AMC to take over the movie theater at the Legends according to the Star. The deal is expected to close on this Friday (12/11) and will officially become AMC on Saturday (12/12). The theater will remain open through renovations, which are expected to start in 2016.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/co ... 65580.html
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I'm surprised the county government owned the theater.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I'm surprised they didn't insist on closing before the Star Wars premier.
KCRoyal
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCRoyal »

Any idea if the renovations will dine-in theaters?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCRoyal wrote:Any idea if the renovations will dine-in theaters?
I looked at five articles. They might as well share writers with each other, they said the same thing in five ways, all using the same PR quotes.

Nothing beyond "there will be renovations"
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Supposedly the the main theater has the biggest screen in town. I imagine they will turn it into an AMC Prime Dolby Cinema venue like at BarryWoods and Leawood. I also would expect their recliner seats to be installed. IMAX is rolling out a new laser-based projection system, and this would be a prime opportunity for such a product as well.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

mistervinix wrote:Supposedly the the main theater has the biggest screen in town. I imagine they will turn it into an AMC Prime Dolby Cinema venue like at BarryWoods and Leawood. I also would expect their recliner seats to be installed. IMAX is rolling out a new laser-based projection system, and this would be a prime opportunity for such a product as well.
Larger than the screen at Union Station? :shock:
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

KCLover wrote:
mistervinix wrote:Supposedly the the main theater has the biggest screen in town. I imagine they will turn it into an AMC Prime Dolby Cinema venue like at BarryWoods and Leawood. I also would expect their recliner seats to be installed. IMAX is rolling out a new laser-based projection system, and this would be a prime opportunity for such a product as well.
Larger than the screen at Union Station? :shock:
You got me there. That one is pretty darn big. As are a couple of the screens at Cinetopia. But it has to be 2nd or 3rd - and much larger than anything else AMC has in KC.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Was out there on the 5th. The building described in this article was under construction. It's not much but it's slightly more density going in.

http://wyandottedaily.com/new-buildings ... s-outlets/
The proposed building, according to Unified Government planning documents, would contain three tenants, Noodles and Company, Vision Works and Mattress Firm.

The proposed new building would be located near Granite City Food and Brewery, planning documents stated. The project passed the Planning Commission last week, according to chairman David Hurrelbrink. It still needs to go before the full UG Commission for final approval.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Now someone wants to build a hockey arena (and move the American Royal). More Border Wars coming!

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/b ... w-kck.html

There is a lot of vacant land west of the speedway that this could go in.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

We've got almost 400 miles of vacant land until we hit Colorado - pile it on, boys!