OFFICIAL: The Legends at Village West

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

I think HRC is just a "symbol" name for all those type places....where HRC goes, the rest would probably follow close by.....although sometimes HRC's are kind of alone.

BTW, I hate them too and am glad the Plaza has kept them out.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Legends tenants

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Don't know about your experience, but HRC actually serves decent food and drinks....unlike Planet Hollywood. If you're going to hate HRC, might as well hate Apple Bee's, American Bandstand, Chili's, TGI Friday's, etc. Only difference is HRC is considered to be in the "hipest/touristy" parts of major cities.

There's cities with HRC's, then there's Oklahoma City, Omaha, Tulsa, Wichita, Des Moines, Evansville, Grand Rapids, Colorado Springs, Birmingham, Waco, Little Rock, and umm......Kansas City.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

also Cincinnati, Columbus, Detroit, Milwaukee, Seattle, Portland, Tampa Bay, & Charlotte are w/o HRC's.....

I see how the HRC lends a bit of validation to a city but not having one doesn't necessarily mean you aren't "cool".....

HRC are a bit different from other chains...they are the kind of "theme restaurants" that urban districts seem to use as a crutch....I just think you can have success w/o that element.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by QueSi2Opie »

KC wrote:they are the kind of "theme restaurants" that urban districts seem to use as a crutch....I just think you can have success w/o that element.
Of course you can, but it doesn't hurt to have one...especially in a "dead" downtown with a bad reputation in MOST Kansas Citians minds. Besides, there's still no reason to "hate" them, especially since they are a restaurant that still has faith in urban centers.

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

good point

TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Confusion!!

Post by TheDude »

HRC is indeed symbolic for all that is franchised; but it really is the less of many evils. I am somewhat confused by KC's remark that he/she is glad that the Plaza has kept HRC from locating there while Highwoods has squeezed out all local businesses and replaced them w/ national chains (eg, California Pizza Kitchen--crap on crust?). At least the Classic Cup is solid.

Further, I can't believe that so many are falling for the latest "nonpress" press conference by the Mayor (Cordish). All we are going to do is pay them $500,000 of public funds to conduct another "study" on what downtown needs. Udris from the EDC has old connections w/ these boys and probably owes them a favor. Maybe they will suggest a Haufbrau Haus in downtown in which Udris has North American development rights over (and profit sharing). GOTTA LUV IT!! --out
"ALWAYS be closing"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

Dude...who says I like what's been going on with the Plaza....read some previous posts I've had it out with the management of Highwoods over email and phone about what they are doing.

Cordish contract was not to study but to actually start signing contracts for tenants.

TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Kc is Righteous

Post by TheDude »

my bad mr KC; you are righteous! but as far as Cordish is concerned, I will believe it when I see it and I really hope I am wrong cause I want downtown to be the best it can be! I just don't understand why we would have to pay a Baltimore company $500k to bring tenants to downtown? (Isnt that what the EDC is supposed to be doing? I know they aren't too busy returning phone calls....) Are there any clawbacks in the Cordish contract in the event they don't perform?? Or is the $ gone regardless of outcome?
"ALWAYS be closing"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Legends tenants

Post by KCPowercat »

too deep for me....all I've heard was that contract was to get some action going for the entertainment district. Cordish has high powered business clients like ESPNzone so they are here to help the EDC master plan an arena/entertainment district.

here is the story:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 814821.htm

sounds like the major reason was to lock down H&R and/or Waddell...not sure what Cordish has to do with that other than getting Cordish on board to do retail side is part of the deal to get these companies to locate downtown.

dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Legends tenants

Post by dangerboy »

The EDC seems to mainly focus on recruiting offices and factories, not so much retail/entertainment. Cordish might be advantageous because they have relationships with places like Hard Rock, etc. that are willing to locate in downtown areas. Real estate is largely about who you know, so I guess the idea is to bring in someone who knows a lot of good people.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Legends tenants

Post by trailerkid »

There are no clawbacks for a developer that doesn't follow through: see Block E in Minneapolis (Hard Rock, Eckerd Drug)
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:There are no clawbacks for a developer that doesn't follow through: see Block E in Minneapolis (Hard Rock, Eckerd Drug)
What's wrong with HRC and Eckerd Drug? We have neither in downtown KC.

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Legends tenants

Post by trailerkid »

When you hire someone to build an entertainment district, putting in an Eckerd Drug next to the Le Meridien Hotel and Gameworks is not what is in mind.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Legends tenants

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote:When you hire someone to build an entertainment district, putting in an Eckerd Drug next to the Le Meridien Hotel and Gameworks is not what is in mind.
Go to San Diego. It's rather nice to have regular retail blended in with the touristy stuff for residents and tourists alike. Gives the area a neighborhood feel like people actually live there too and it's nice to be able ot buy a role of film or a bottle of water at a normal price in an urban entertainment disctrict location.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Legends tenants

Post by trailerkid »

Why is it so hush hush on what's going on with Legends? With all the secrecy on what will be at this dump...I will expect nothing less than a Virgin, Gameworks, Crate and Barrpl and Hard Rock.
KCforumer

Legends tenants

Post by KCforumer »

Dump, eh? I've always gotten the impression that you are a fan of the Legends and Village West.
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by QueSi2Opie »

trailerkid wrote:Why is it so hush hush on what's going on with Legends? With all the secrecy on what will be at this dump...I will expect nothing less than a Virgin, Gameworks, Crate and Barrpl and Hard Rock.
C'mon man, at least be happy something is happening in Wyandotte County. We may think of it as a Hick Retreat, but as long as peeps are finally comin' out to spend money in Tha Dotte, it's all good.

TheDude
Strip mall
Strip mall

Legends tenants

Post by TheDude »

HR is going to Speedway!! Cordish will collect their $500k and move on; they were originally uninterested in kc until the green changed their attitude. my question is why does the city keep paying these out of town consultants to produce plans for downtown w/out any clawback conditions (that is, if cordish does not bring tenants, do we get our $500k back??) do a little research on who locally has a relationship with Cordish--there may be some old debts being settled.
"ALWAYS be closing"
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by QueSi2Opie »

TheDude wrote:HR is going to Speedway!! Cordish will collect their $500k and move on
Are you serious? Where did you find this info? It's not on the Legend's website. This would be a gigantic blow to downtown KC as far as image! Even if you don't like HR, for them to finally choose a rural location over an urban core for the FIRST TIME IN HISTORY (except for resort towns/cities) says a lot about their faith in our downtown. Not to mention how it looks for the suburbanites, which make up the majority of KC's metro population. "Downtown sucks so bad that not even Hard Rock wants to be there!" It will also further the tourist magnet that Western Wyandotte has become. 2002 = Cabela's, 2003 = Nebraska Furniture Mart, 2004 = Hard Rock Cafe.

It's not the end of the world, but it says a lot. Not to mention I love Hard Rock Cafe because they've always had great service and good food (unlike the Planet Hollywoods). Plus I enjoy the old rock 'n' roll memorabilia...although I hate today's Top 40 music.
Last edited by QueSi2Opie on Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Legends tenants

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Jus' checked Hard Rock's website. They jus' opened a HR in downtown Detroit and are opening a Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Louisville, KY next year. Doesn't say anything about Kansas City.