Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by KCMax »

FangKC wrote:Images: World's tallest water slide under construction at Schlitterbahn

http://tinyurl.com/lzo2dca
No.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Thats a long climb to the top for wet slippery kids with ad unenclosed stair. What kind of restraints on these rubber rafts, how about head protdction?
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

The whole thing is a scheme to cut down on obesity in Kansas City...
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

moderne wrote:Thats a long climb to the top for wet slippery kids with ad unenclosed stair. What kind of restraints on these rubber rafts, how about head protdction?
Don't do that - you're turning into my parents.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'll guess 27 days until the first injury.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Very nice. But has Schlitterbahn done anything with the general appearance and aesthetics of the area (landscaping, signage etc) around the park and the park itself? The area seems a bit ghetto or something. Maybe it's better now.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

GRID wrote:Very nice. But has Schlitterbahn done anything with the general appearance and aesthetics of the area (landscaping, signage etc) around the park and the park itself? The area seems a bit ghetto or something. Maybe it's better now.
No. It continues to resemble a park that has the theme of "a never-ending construction zone" (as someone on Yelp more or less put it). Very uninviting, and quite the contrast to everything on the other side of 435. Perhaps they might actually construct a real entrance to the place this year.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Video of the new water slide from the top.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/10/tallest- ... -main-link
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

Holy shit that looks crazy!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

About 2007 or 2008 I thought this place would be worth visiting for the big picture they announced of being able to ride a tube around to different water slides.

It's now 2013 and I haven't been and each year have less and less interest in going. This slide doesn't change that.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

grovester wrote:I'll guess 27 days until the first injury.
I saw this in the paper today. That was my first thought. It seems a little too unconstrained for me - if that is anything close to the final product. I guess if you are essentially falling over a cliff, it's difficult to extract yourself from a semi-enclosed tube.

The steps are the other potential issue. Won't be so bad when it's new and popular and there is a line that slows one ascent but for obese people, an unobstructed climb to that height will be murder.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

They would never build it if they didn't have a team of engineers with lawyer backing.

Expect one death per decade at the extreme end.

Injury I'll give. But mainly scrapes and bruises with the rare broken bone. The staff for these rides are good at maintaining ride discipline. Radios can mean you get kicked out for the day if you don't when you hit the bottom.

An obese person is unlikely to be allowed. I'd guess they'll require people to fit into a special tube or mat for the ride. Could have a special opening that you have a clear without turning. If you don't you can't go up. For safety reasons and all that from lawyers. There's plenty of basis for size requirements with theme parks. Height requirements already show that physical stature matters. You're not going on a roller coaster if you can't fit in the safety equipment or would fall out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

flyingember wrote:They would never build it if they didn't have a team of engineers with lawyer backing.

Injury I'll give. But mainly scrapes and bruises with the rare broken bone. The staff for these rides are good at maintaining ride discipline. Radios can mean you get kicked out for the day if you don't when you hit the bottom.

An obese person is unlikely to be allowed. I'd guess they'll require people to fit into a special tube or mat for the ride. Could have a special opening that you have a clear without turning. If you don't you can't go up. For safety reasons and all that from lawyers. There's plenty of basis for size requirements with theme parks. Height requirements already show that physical stature matters. You're not going on a roller coaster if you can't fit in the safety equipment or would fall out.
That would be hilarious but no way.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

flyingember wrote:They would never build it if they didn't have a team of engineers with lawyer backing.

I think this is a raft slide, not a body slide, and how often do they inspect rides in Kansas?
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Where else in Kansas would need rides inspected outside of county fair rides?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I interned at the KS Dept of Health a decade ago, and back then, I remember that KS was one of the only states in the nation that did not inspect amusement rides. Looks like in 2008 they finally added a law, probably anticipating Schiltterbarn.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

pstokely wrote:

I think this is a raft slide, not a body slide, and how often do they inspect rides in Kansas?
RIght..it's a raft slide holding 4 people.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

http://www.kctv5.com/story/25590567/wor ... n-saturday
Schlitterbahn officials admitted this week that Verruckt is "not behaving properly," but deny online reports that test dummies went airborne. However, park officials say they are having to adjust the second hill on the slide after sending test sandbags down.

The original plan had been for the 117-story-tall ride to open Friday, but the opening has been delayed until June 5.
:shock:
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

WHEEEEEEE!!!!

*splat*

(the test dummy)
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

So the Verruckt's opening has been delayed again. When this thing finally does start running, any guess as to how often it will break down? And leave would-be riders stranded at the top of all those stairs? In 95-degree humid July heat?